Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 12:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

I've had an above ground pool for 2 years and not doing it again. Too much problems setting it up and cleaning it. I paid close to $200 a month on water bill, my co-worker said his custom in ground pool cost him $1000 each month to run including all of the maintenance and water bill. So you're looking at close to $3-5k a summer just to run a decent sized home pool here in NJ. The energy and water utility bills are quite high and not to mention the necessary maintenance and filtration needed to get the water clean.

That's why I think it's much better to buy a season pass for your community pools except this year it's been slow to reopen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 02:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1448125 View Post
Hello! I'm moving from the West Coast to Central NJ and I'm considering buying a house with an inground pool. I'm not familiar with the NJ weather, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

The pool is supposedly heated, but I'm assuming in the winter it might be too cold to even consider keeping it uncovered (let alone the cost of running it). But what about the fall and the spring though? Anyone has personal experience with owning a pool in NJ?

Thanks!
I open it early and I close it late, LOL, but that's just me. We get nice weather in April and also nasty weather, same for October. We've had 70 degree weather in November, and we've also had snow. However, I don't know anyone who keeps their pool open in November. I would say the majority of the month is "too cold" to actually swim outside, even if the pool was heated.

I would play it as it comes. See what the weather is like in April, and see if opening your pool is favorable -- maintenance-wise, upkeep, cleaning, etc. The same for mid-late September and beyond -- heating-wise, and the same things. Heating a pool, continuously can be expensive, although that's a relative term. Especially considering you turn on the heater, and the pool isn't warm 30 minutes later. It's not like AC in the house, LOL.

Good luck and all the best!

Old 06-14-2020, 04:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've had an above ground pool for 2 years and not doing it again. Too much problems setting it up and cleaning it. I paid close to $200 a month on water bill, my co-worker said his custom in ground pool cost him $1000 each month to run including all of the maintenance and water bill. So you're looking at close to $3-5k a summer just to run a decent sized home pool here in NJ. The energy and water utility bills are quite high and not to mention the necessary maintenance and filtration needed to get the water clean.

That's why I think it's much better to buy a season pass for your community pools except this year it's been slow to reopen.
$1000 a month? That sounds beyond excessive

Old 06-14-2020, 05:44 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
I broke down the bill to heat my pool, and it worked out to $50 a day.

But I like it warm. I keep it at 88-89 degrees.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I broke down the bill to heat my pool, and it worked out to $50 a day.
Wow. But that cost sounds about right. I remember many years ago we rented a beach house and we chose to spend $600 extra to heat the pool for the week.

I'm actually surprised that more homes in NJ don't have indoor pools that could be used year round.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
$1000 a month? That sounds beyond excessive
If you want people to come clean your pool and maintain it and the cost of water and resources that's what it costs each month. He can afford it.

If you run an above ground pool, you can get away with $300 a month in total costs. I used the pool almost every weekend with the kids and it was a lot of fun when they were young but now they've grown the pool isn't enough swim in.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:36 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Please tell that to my neighbor, who creates a mini-Niagara on our street every autumn.
My name isn't Karen.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:24 AM

127 posts, read 160,458 times
I am surprised by some of the numbers I am seeing.

I have 18' x 38' in-ground vinyl pool; typically open it May 20 and close it Sept 15. Openning and closing cost is approximately $250 each. My total chemical cost is ~$400 per year. No heater, it is in full sun all day and water temperature will drop 2-3'F overnight. Water and electric cost not noticeable maybe $10 at most more per month.

My pool is 14 years ago and we still use it routine (not everyday but enough to justify keeping it). Never fully drained.

Here are some comments on pool ownership that I will past on.

1. Remember if you a getting an in-ground pool, it is a construction project - get someone very reputable and good insurance. Understand all the steps and be present to address any issues immediately.

2. With landscaping and fencing, it will cost you significantly more than the advertised price.

3. If your pool is clear and pH and chlorine (if you have a chlorine pool) are at the correct levels, do not do anything - the pool places will test your water and every time they will tell you need something - avoid their recommendation.

4. Buy a good robotic cleaner, we toss our Dolphin in every Thursday and watch it with a glass of wine - I have never vacuumed my pool in 14 years - all the vacuum parts are still in the original boxes in the shed.

5. Never buy a pool toy with a woman on the cover, it will get destroyed by the boys and overweight relatives - trust me it will be a waste of money after one or two uses. Buy premium foam rafts at lest two - his and hers.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 AM

213 posts, read 350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman07738 View Post
I am surprised by some of the numbers I am seeing.

I have 18' x 38' in-ground vinyl pool; typically open it May 20 and close it Sept 15. Openning and closing cost is approximately $250 each. My total chemical cost is ~$400 per year. No heater, it is in full sun all day and water temperature will drop 2-3'F overnight. Water and electric cost not noticeable maybe $10 at most more per month.

My pool is 14 years ago and we still use it routine (not everyday but enough to justify keeping it). Never fully drained.

Here are some comments on pool ownership that I will past on.

1. Remember if you a getting an in-ground pool, it is a construction project - get someone very reputable and good insurance. Understand all the steps and be present to address any issues immediately.

2. With landscaping and fencing, it will cost you significantly more than the advertised price.

3. If your pool is clear and pH and chlorine (if you have a chlorine pool) are at the correct levels, do not do anything - the pool places will test your water and every time they will tell you need something - avoid their recommendation.

4. Buy a good robotic cleaner, we toss our Dolphin in every Thursday and watch it with a glass of wine - I have never vacuumed my pool in 14 years - all the vacuum parts are still in the original boxes in the shed.

5. Never buy a pool toy with a woman on the cover, it will get destroyed by the boys and overweight relatives - trust me it will be a waste of money after one or two uses. Buy premium foam rafts at lest two - his and hers.
My costs are also similar to yours.. and I open around same time, but close in late Sep. I have a solar pool heater, so electricity cost to heat the pool is to pump the water to the solar grid, where the flows super slow over a long mesh to get prolonged exposure to Sun to heat up. I am thinking of adding a solar pool cover to retain the heat gained during daytime to minimize the heat loss during night, amazon have them for $150. Also, because of landscaping and fencing cost, its always cheaper to buy a house with a pool, instead of building one, and that what I did. It's not significantly higher than a similar house without a pool.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i dont think many people keep their pools open more than mid may to mid september and you will find it too cold to go in most may and september days. so you are looking at 4 months open but more like 3 months where you can use it regularly.

i just had a pool installed but the heater isnt functioning yet. we swam yesterday and the pool was about 88 degrees. i bought a solar cover and if you are willing to put in a little extra work, it gives the pool substantial heat in a sunny day even if the air temperature isnt so warm. id say it has added 8-10 degrees or so above if we didnt use it.

you will get hit with a decent sized bill for opening and closing. im not exactly sure the cost, i think my neighbor pays $500ish for those services. the cost of maintaining over the summer isnt so much. you have electric running the pump and gas for heating. im paying $30 a week for a company to come and make sure the chemicals are good. you could save a little there and do it yourself but make sure you dont get ripped off on chemicals or you wont save doing it yourself. the pool came with a robotic cleaner and that has kept the pool very clean.

as a pool gets older you are going to have more maintenance issues. it depends on the type of pool (and other factors) how much that will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey