Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For the future, you would love Red Bank. It's got a nice downtown with lots of little shops and restaurants, and a lot of it is open again, at least for outdoor dining. I went last weekend and had brunch with a friend.

Why Hazlet for a tat? Is there a special shop you know of? Two stops by train from Hazlet.
I was looking for places near Keansburg and one shop caught my eye. They also have a woman tattoo artist, her work is AMAZING and the place got really good reviews. Where I go in Philadelphia, it's only men who tattoo and while they're amazing, I would love to be tattooed by a woman this time.

Of course, I hope to hear from them. I sent them a message and hopefully. The one in Yonkers, let's just say, when I mentioned I was visiting the area, silence. I get it.

How far is Red Bank from the ocean? I pass it all the time on the train and my fair-weather friend takes his nephew to the arcades in Red Bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 07:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
For the future, you would love Red Bank. It's got a nice downtown with lots of little shops and restaurants, and a lot of it is open again, at least for outdoor dining. I went last weekend and had brunch with a friend.

Why Hazlet for a tat? Is there a special shop you know of? Two stops by train from Hazlet.
i heard that they are closing the streets of red bank to allow for outdoor dining. it sounds like fun if we have the time to go visit.

maybe she is getting a keansburg tattoo. i remember some guy online speaking negatively about keansburg and calling the residents "burgers." i thought it was very funny.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i heard that they are closing the streets of red bank to allow for outdoor dining. it sounds like fun if we have the time to go visit.

maybe she is getting a keansburg tattoo. i remember some guy online speaking negatively about keansburg and calling the residents "burgers." i thought it was very funny.
Wow! Nah, I'm getting Calvin and Hobbes, "let's go exploring."

Old 06-26-2020, 08:22 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I was looking for places near Keansburg and one shop caught my eye. They also have a woman tattoo artist, her work is AMAZING and the place got really good reviews. Where I go in Philadelphia, it's only men who tattoo and while they're amazing, I would love to be tattooed by a woman this time.

Of course, I hope to hear from them. I sent them a message and hopefully. The one in Yonkers, let's just say, when I mentioned I was visiting the area, silence. I get it.

How far is Red Bank from the ocean? I pass it all the time on the train and my fair-weather friend takes his nephew to the arcades in Red Bank.
It's inland, on the Navesink River.

But you know, speaking of the train, you COULD take the train down to Long Branch, and from there you can either walk to the ocean beach in 20 minutes or less or take Shore Cab, which always has cars at the train station and is only a few bucks to the beach. (When I lived there in 2010, Shore Cab was $4 to anywhere in Long Branch. Now I think it is $6 or $7.) You could ask to go to Pier Village. It's not the only beach, but it has shops and restaurants and is at one end of a mile-long boardwalk running along the beach. It might be worth it to do on one of the days on your trip, and it actually makes sense to take the train/cab combination because the parking is expensive and the spaces fill up fast for people who do drive.

Oh, and if you walk to almost the other end of the boardwalk and then turn up a street called Brighton, you'll find a great pizza place called Scala's. Their gluten-free margarita pizza is excellent. You can find Brighton easily by looking for The Windmill, a restaurant shaped like a windmill--hence the name, lol--known for its hot dogs, which I know you don't want. It can be easily spotted from the boardwalk.

It's not long, only four stops from Hazlet (Middletown, Red Bank, Little Silver, Long Branch), and the beaches there are very nice. That's where I go. Was at Long Branch on Monday, as a matter of fact. Went in the water and everything. Cold, but bearable.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's inland, on the Navesink River.

But you know, speaking of the train, you COULD take the train down to Long Branch, and from there you can either walk to the ocean beach in 20 minutes or less or take Shore Cab, which always has cars at the train station and is only a few bucks to the beach. You could ask to go to Pier Village. It's not the only beach, but it has shops and restaurants and is at one end of a mile-long boardwalk running along the beach.

It's not long, only four stops from Hazlet (Middletown, Red Bank, Little Silver, Long Branch), and the beaches there are very nice. That's where I go. Was at Long Branch on Monday, as a matter of fact. Went in the water and everything. Cold, but bearable.
I stayed in Long Branch two years ago. I'm thinking if I don't hear from the tattoo parlor, I may cancel Keansburg and look at Long Branch. It would be $50/night more, but maybe it would save me on transit costs. I'll have to see.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I stayed in Long Branch two years ago. I'm thinking if I don't hear from the tattoo parlor, I may cancel Keansburg and look at Long Branch. It would be $50/night more, but maybe it would save me on transit costs. I'll have to see.
i think long branch is more tourist friendly than keansburg and you have better access to the beach there.

there is an aldi about 4 miles away from pier village!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
i think long branch is more tourist friendly than keansburg and you have better access to the beach there.

there is an aldi about 4 miles away from pier village!
Well, I am going to cancel Keansburg and book in Long Branch. It's double than Keansburg, but cheaper doesn't always mean budget friendly. Thinking about the costs to get to Keansburg and the costs of everything else, it's not really that cheap.

I stayed in Long Branch two years ago and while I couldn't cook in the accommodation, I had access to GF restaurants. In Keansburg, I don't. I also loved their beach and if I wanted to, I could easily take the train to Asbury Park.

After work, I'll cancel Keansburg and book Long Branch. $170 more isn't going to kill me and when I travel, I'm keeping all credit cards at home, only taking my debit card and I'm going to take envelopes of cash, to budget out how much I can spend.

As I said to Mightyqueen, I want to go and have a good time. A good time to me is going to the beach, a day at the beach, eating out, seeing a show (if I can), and relaxing. I think I'd have more of a good time in Long Branch than Keansburg.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I am going to cancel Keansburg and book in Long Branch. It's double than Keansburg, but cheaper doesn't always mean budget friendly. Thinking about the costs to get to Keansburg and the costs of everything else, it's not really that cheap.

I stayed in Long Branch two years ago and while I couldn't cook in the accommodation, I had access to GF restaurants. In Keansburg, I don't. I also loved their beach and if I wanted to, I could easily take the train to Asbury Park.

After work, I'll cancel Keansburg and book Long Branch. $170 more isn't going to kill me and when I travel, I'm keeping all credit cards at home, only taking my debit card and I'm going to take envelopes of cash, to budget out how much I can spend.

As I said to Mightyqueen, I want to go and have a good time. A good time to me is going to the beach, a day at the beach, eating out, seeing a show (if I can), and relaxing. I think I'd have more of a good time in Long Branch than Keansburg.
well, it took 9 pages before you realized that nobody goes to keansburg for a vacation. its because of those darn burgers. now i feel a little better about your vacation experience.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
well, it took 9 pages before you realized that nobody goes to keansburg for a vacation. its because of those darn burgers. now i feel a little better about your vacation experience.
The pictures looked pretty on Instagram, but after reading about swimming in a bay, while it's no big deal, I was getting a little depressed about not going to an actual ocean.

Also, the more I thought about it, while it would be nice to cook, I don't know if I'll feel comfortable cooking in someone else's kitchen. I think I would rather eat at a celiac friendly restaurant and there are plenty between Long Branch and Asbury Park.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
LOL I have loved this thread from the very beginning...the title is great. Okay, there is nothing to do in Hazlet. Do yourself a favor and go to Red Bank. It’s only 20 minutes from Keansburg.

Ditto the Red Bank recommendation - currently part of River Road in Red Bank is blocked off to vehicle traffic due to the eateries there requiring outside dining space, it looks great! I was just there earlier today in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey