Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 AM

111 posts, read 90,861 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I have a condo in Northern NJ in a high rise building and I have tenant who wants to get a service dog and i don't know if i am legally obliged to accept it.
When she moved to my condo about 6 months ago, i went over her lease and made sure she didn't have any pets and that no pets were allowed in the apartment.
However, she recently had Covid and now she works from home and is saying that her therapist suggested her to get a service dog.
She is a good tenant, always pays on time and i feel sorry for her that she had Covid but i also would prefer if she didn't get a dog in the apartment. What are the legalities involved for the landlord in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
Hi everybody,
I have a condo in Northern NJ in a high rise building and I have tenant who wants to get a service dog and i don't know if i am legally obliged to accept it.
When she moved to my condo about 6 months ago, i went over her lease and made sure she didn't have any pets and that no pets were allowed in the apartment.
However, she recently had Covid and now she works from home and is saying that her therapist suggested her to get a service dog.
She is a good tenant, always pays on time and i feel sorry for her that she had Covid but i also would prefer if she didn't get a dog in the apartment. What are the legalities involved for the landlord in this case?
The legalities are that you call your attorney today. "Service Animal" is a whole pile of ADA involvement. They're trained to perform certain tasks (seeing eye dogs, for example) for those with a disability.

I'll bet what she wants is an emotional support animal, which is a whole different thing and aren't necessarily under ADA.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:36 AM

111 posts, read 90,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The legalities are that you call your attorney today. "Service Animal" is a whole pile of ADA involvement. They're trained to perform certain tasks (seeing eye dogs, for example) for those with a disability.

I'll bet what she wants is an emotional support animal, which is a whole different thing and aren't necessarily under ADA.
Yes, she does not have a disability so yes i suppose 'emotional support animal' is what she means.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
Yes, she does not have a disability so yes i suppose 'emotional support animal' is what she means.
And people have been known to conflate the terms and cause problems. Call your attorney.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
And people have been known to conflate the terms and cause problems. Call your attorney.

Why do people offer this as the first line of defense? Lawyers charge a fortune and we don't know yet if it's needed. It sounds like tenant is simply asking, not threatening. First of all, I would research the ADA laws myself and see if emotional support animals are even covered, then I'd ask the tenant for a letter from the therapist stating if she has a disability (if she were diagnosed with PTSD, etc) and whether the animal was medically ordered or just a suggestion. If it's just a suggestion there shouldn't be any legal obligation at all, especially if she doesn't have a disability. Actual service animals require a prescription and a diagnoses. If you say no and she persists or escalates, that is the time for a lawyer, but to me it doesn't sound like an issue you should have to invest thousands in.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do people offer this as the first line of defense? Lawyers charge a fortune and we don't know yet if it's needed. It sounds like tenant is simply asking, not threatening. First of all, I would research the ADA laws myself and see if emotional support animals are even covered, then I'd ask the tenant for a letter from the therapist stating if she has a disability (if she were diagnosed with PTSD, etc) and whether the animal was medically ordered or just a suggestion. If it's just a suggestion there shouldn't be any legal obligation at all, especially if she doesn't have a disability. Actual service animals require a prescription and a diagnoses. If you say no and she persists or escalates, that is the time for a lawyer, but to me it doesn't sound like an issue you should have to invest thousands in.
I typically don't push the lawyer button right away but ADA compliance in incredibly confounding, You have a landlord that doesn't have a clue about it and, if I remember correctly, has posted about other landlord problems previously that should have been Being a Landlord 101.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:57 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
OK, its from a dotcom site, but this might get you started on definitions/law titles, etc. OP:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...t-animals.html

Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I typically don't push the lawyer button right away but ADA compliance in incredibly confounding, You have a landlord that doesn't have a clue about it and, if I remember correctly, has posted about other landlord problems previously that should have been Being a Landlord 101.
It doesn’t sound like ADA though. First it was only a suggestion from the therapist, which doesn’t carry any weight especially since a psychologist is not a doctor and can’t diagnose nor prescribe, both of which are needed to fall under ADA. If she’s not diagnosed by an actual M.D. with a disability then it’s really just a request.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:01 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And if you do what you just recommended...in the State of NJ...you just violated the law!!! That's why you call an attorney!!! Good lawyers charge for their time. A fortune is a relative term. Good lawyers are worth what they charge, and more! Want to know what a fortune is? Paying a lawyer to fix what you may have broken. Paying a lawyer to re-do correctly what you've done incorrectly. And paying a lawyer to get you out of a problem which you created by not contacting the lawyer in the first place.

It is never wrong to give advice that says "Contact an attorney" -- and by the way, if you have an attorney you work with, he/she will probably not even charge you for a preliminary discussion, to assess the situation, etc.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 AM

440 posts, read 239,963 times
I think ADA covers mainly blind and deaf, but may also include amputations. The rest, I think, is State and local rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: