Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Recently, a developer has suggested that the large parking lots of some mega-malls could be used for the construction of apartments/townhouses.
Instead the state kept killing out beautiful land to develop these things. I always see construction workers doing random stuff on the corners of the parking lots and nothing is being built. It shows the stupidity of our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Recently, a developer has suggested that the large parking lots of some mega-malls could be used for the construction of apartments/townhouses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i think that was the plan at monmouth mall. ive been to places where they do a blend of living, shopping and entertainment. that is a winning combo and where malls should be going these days.
That's a pretty good idea, and I vaguely remember reading/hearing that somewhere, but wasn't sure where implemented. Haven't been to Monmouth Mall in ages.

I hope NJ doesn't get built out to the center. We've got plenty of existing enclaves that could be built out. I know that's more expensive, but I'm talking long-game preservation.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
That's a pretty good idea, and I vaguely remember reading/hearing that somewhere, but wasn't sure where implemented. Haven't been to Monmouth Mall in ages.

I hope NJ doesn't get built out to the center. We've got plenty of existing enclaves that could be built out. I know that's more expensive, but I'm talking long-game preservation.
well, im sure if you want to invest in one of these projects you can have a say in the location.

whenever there is talk about building new commercial properties around town on the local facebook page, people start naming failed locations and suggesting building there. im sure many would love to use government control to force their will. but these are failed locations and many of which arent in the most desirable spots. its very easy to tell someone else what to do but these businesses should focus on whatever will be the most successful. they shouldnt think about fixing up an old failed place unless it will increase their likelihood of success (which they probably wont).

Old 06-30-2020, 01:03 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
yeah, i think that was the plan at monmouth mall. ive been to places where they do a blend of living, shopping and entertainment. that is a winning combo and where malls should be going these days.
That reminds me of the main street complex they built in Voorhees beginning in the late 80s. I don’t think it was as successful as they thought. Had residences, a business complex, stores, restaurant and a night club.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Instead the state kept killing out beautiful land to develop these things. I always see construction workers doing random stuff on the corners of the parking lots and nothing is being built. It shows the stupidity of our state.

Land use/zoning regulation, as well as approval for construction, is done at the municipal level.
Perhaps The Golden State--where you are headed--does these things at the state level, but in NJ and every other state with which I am familiar, the municipality decides what can be built.

If anyone is "killing out" the land in NJ, the blame lies with the specific municipalities where the decisions were made.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
well, im sure if you want to invest in one of these projects you can have a say in the location.

whenever there is talk about building new commercial properties around town on the local facebook page, people start naming failed locations and suggesting building there. im sure many would love to use government control to force their will. but these are failed locations and many of which arent in the most desirable spots. its very easy to tell someone else what to do but these businesses should focus on whatever will be the most successful. they shouldnt think about fixing up an old failed place unless it will increase their likelihood of success (which they probably wont).

You gave your opinion "yeah, i think that was the plan at monmouth mall. ive been to places where they do a blend of living, shopping and entertainment. that is a winning combo and where malls should be going these days."

I actually agreed and gave my opinion. But when I did, you suggested I put my investment weight behind it to have a say, as if we're not allowed to simply opine on the matter otherwise (even though you just did).

Applying that logic, perhaps YOU should invest in mall properties since that's where you think they should be headed, right? Of course, that's if we're not allowed to opine without a financial call to action.

Additionally, I'm not sure how you turned my referencing 'existing enclaves' into specifically meaning 'old failed places'. But now that you mention it, there's PLENTY of examples of 'failed/old places' that have been successfully reclaimed (especially as rents have gone up).

Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You gave your opinion "yeah, i think that was the plan at monmouth mall. ive been to places where they do a blend of living, shopping and entertainment. that is a winning combo and where malls should be going these days."

I actually agreed and gave my opinion. But when I did, you suggested I put my investment weight behind it to have a say, as if we're not allowed to simply opine on the matter otherwise (even though you just did).

Applying that logic, perhaps YOU should invest in mall properties since that's where you think they should be headed, right? Of course, that's if we're not allowed to opine without a financial call to action.

Additionally, I'm not sure how you turned my referencing 'existing enclaves' into specifically meaning 'old failed places'. But now that you mention it, there's PLENTY of examples of 'failed/old places' that have been successfully reclaimed (especially as rents have gone up).
you can opine on whatever you like 66nexus. people suggesting that businesses renovate failed locations for their new businesses is just something that i have an issue with. your post reminded me of all the local clowns that want new businesses opening up in the dead bones of failed businesses on rt 36 in hazlet/middletown area. one would have to be crazy to do that and even in the nicer rt 35 area its still no slam dunk and shouldnt factor into the decision. only success should factor into the decision.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
malls are so 1980's.....

Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
you can opine on whatever you like 66nexus. people suggesting that businesses renovate failed locations for their new businesses is just something that i have an issue with. your post reminded me of all the local clowns that want new businesses opening up in the dead bones of failed businesses on rt 36 in hazlet/middletown area. one would have to be crazy to do that and even in the nicer rt 35 area its still no slam dunk and shouldnt factor into the decision. only success should factor into the decision.
Yeah fair enough.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Something that continues to boggle my mind is the tendency to build new strip malls only a mile--or less--from another strip mall that is mostly vacant.

Every strip mall seems to follow the same formula:
Take-out Chinese food, pizza, dry cleaners, sub shop, maybe a Dental office, and maybe a cell phone store. How many essentially identical businesses do these strip mall developers think can be viable within a very tightly-defined area?

In my neck of the woods, the strip mall that has existed for the longest period of time is perpetually ~ 1/3 vacant. And yet, some "genius" developer chose to convert an old industrial building next to that strip mall into--you guessed it--another strip mall. So far, the conversion has taken over 2 years, and it appears that construction was halted a few months ago, undoubtedly as a result of Covid. And, only about 3/4 of a mile away, there is yet another strip mall that has been under slow-motion construction for over one year, with no indication of when--if ever--it will open.

All of these strip mall vacancy problems were evident long before the Era of Covid, and IMHO, they are only destined to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey