Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:18 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You should take a few surfing lessons. There will be an instructor and probably a buddy system.

*Decades ago, there used to be public service commercials on TV about swimming alone. That's never a good idea. There should be someone there to look for you in case you get hit on the head by your board.
We actually had a 25 year old Delaware lifeguard die while surfing alone in Ocean City on Easter Sunday in 2003. He was with two others but didn’t want to wait for them to go in the water. By the time they realized they couldn’t see him and went in they found him floating still attached to his board. I always assumed the board hit his head and knocked him out, (Otherwise it’s pretty hard to drown while you have a floating surfboard).
He had been Delaware’s lifeguard of the year, so it just shows that it could happen to anyone. When you wipe out on a big wave, you and the board tumbling over and over under the water it's easy to get disoriented and lose track of where the board is.

I used to watch surfers go in alone in front of my apartment in the winter (in full wetsuit of course) usually before storms when waves were larger. I used to think how young and stupid to do this activity alone with no one around if anything happened (by the time 911 would get there it’s too late). I sometimes was afraid to go inside because I felt like I should keep an eye on the person.

Not to scare you, OP, but definitely not a good idea to go in when there’s no one around but even wiser to make sure you’re on a guarded beach.

Cape Gazette*April 25, 2003: *Page 19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We actually had a 25 year old Delaware lifeguard die while surfing alone in Ocean City on Easter Sunday in 2003. He was with two others but didn’t want to wait for them to go in the water. By the time they realized they couldn’t see him and went in they found him floating still attached to his board. I always assumed the board hit his head and knocked him out, (Otherwise it’s pretty hard to drown while you have a floating surfboard).
He had been Delaware’s lifeguard of the year, so it just shows that it could happen to anyone. When you wipe out on a big wave, you and the board tumbling over and over under the water it's easy to get disoriented and lose track of where the board is.

I used to watch surfers go in alone in front of my apartment in the winter (in full wetsuit of course) usually before storms when waves were larger. I used to think how young and stupid to do this activity alone with no one around if anything happened (by the time 911 would get there it’s too late). I sometimes was afraid to go inside because I felt like I should keep an eye on the person.

Not to scare you, OP, but definitely not a good idea to go in when there’s no one around but even wiser to make sure you’re on a guarded beach.

Cape Gazette*April 25, 2003: *Page 19

I'm just afraid of getting eaten by a shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGiplGPqZo

But i feel I have to do this before the knees give out

till I collapse - Nate dogg

Old 06-28-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm just afraid of getting eaten by a shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGiplGPqZo

But i feel I have to do this before the knees give out

till I collapse - Nate dogg

I don't think the shark worry is likely. Especially if you don't wear a wetsuit (they make surfers look like seals). You're not in any more danger getting bitten surfing then you are just swimming close to shore. NJ is not really an area that has to worry. We get some Tiger sharks sometimes but they leave people alone. Most sharks really don't want to eat people, I heard it's usually a mistake like I said thinking it's a seal or something. That's more an issue say in SoCal where the water is cold. You won't need a wetsuit here in summer.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:16 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Dangerous, that's not New Jersey.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Dangerous, that's not New Jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3BOJryHdM

Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 PM

That was thirty miles southeast of Point Pleasant. That's not near the beach.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Been to Wild Wood, Asbury Park, Seaside Heights, Atlantic City, Cape May, etc etc never seen a surfer, maybe body boarders, but never a straight up surfing.

Heck, I dont think I ever seen waves big enough for surfing.
I've personally seen surfers in all those places except maybe Asbury. Winter/off season surfing is big in NJ, apparently the waves are better. And anytime there is a nor'easter or hurricane/tropical storm in the area you'll see people surfing. Some shore towns have high school surf teams. NJ also has some native pro or semi-pro surfers, like Rob Kelly, and pro surfers like Kelly Slater and Bethany Hamilton have surfed here.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM

^^ New Jersians have been surfing for a long time.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/surf...ore-16666.html

Ron Jon opened on Long Beach Island in 1959.

https://www.ronjonsurfshop.com/About...%20longer%20do.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:07 PM

https://www.nj.com/ocean/2020/07/sha...-on-video.html

this is why I'm scared

Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why don’t you try paddle boarding first? Many of the rentals and classes are held on the bay, not the ocean. Not that there can’t be sharks in the bay, but I don’t think it’s common. The same balance skills you learned there will help you with surfing down the road. To be honest, if your that scared I don’t think you will enjoy surfing. I’ve dated to long time surfers in my life. Both of them loved being in the water and that’s why they love surfing. You often sit out there for half an hour or more waiting for a good wave. A good amount time is spent just floating there. To them, that was the best part it was peaceful for them. It doesn’t sound like it’ll be that way for you though. Why are you trying to force yourself to do some thing that you really don’t want to do deep down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey