Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I commute 47 miles to my office, but any money I would save on gas by moving closer, I would spend two-fold on higher taxes and the storage unit I would have to rent because I probably would only be able to afford a 1 br condo instead of a 3 br house.

Boy was that ever a run-on sentence
IIRC, you work in Morristown? I didn't realize it was so far from Oxford!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
IIRC, you work in Morristown? I didn't realize it was so far from Oxford!
Actually Morris Twp. on the Whippany border. It would be closer to 37 miles if I went the over Penwell, through LV, Chester and Mendham (more direct route) but I would take about 25-20 minutes longer, curvy roads and school buses. Instead, I go 31 to 78 to 287, a few miles longer but it only takes an hour. The extra 10 miles is worth the time pick up, plus the with the highway miles, it probably uses about the same amount of gas. I have a Camry and fill it every 4 days. Cost me $51 and change yesterday and gas was only $3.63/gallon in Washington. Imagine that "only" $3.63/gallon. That's a bargain compared to prices east.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Cost me $51 and change yesterday and gas was only $3.63/gallon in Washington. Imagine that "only" $3.63/gallon. That's a bargain compared to prices east.
This morning I bragged about getting gas for $3.62 - most gas stations are $3.70 right now

Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
This morning I bragged about getting gas for $3.62 - most gas stations are $3.70 right now
3.65 here

I did read that supposedly the President is going to sign something about not sending all those barrels each day to the oil reserve..hopefully it will drop the price a few cents.

Also reading about the 5 oil execs before the senate right now...the senate is not being to kind to them The one guy from exxon...his salary is 12.5 million a year..unfreakinbelievable!!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
The scary thing about this uptick in prices is that it comes with our economy reportedly 'sluggish'. For the first time in U.S. history, we've reduced gasoline consumption for two consecutive years. And yet, the prices remain higher. Now ask yourself if the economy was more robust, and we were increasing our consumption, instead of decreasing it. How much higher would these prices be? The fear of shortages is real. 5 year futures contracts are being bid up to $140 a barrel. That means investors are banking on margin calls to exceed this amount by 2013. If I had any brains (or balls) I'd be throwing my money in this direction as well.

As for the senate interrogating these execs, they aren't qualified to do so, because none of them really understand the machinations of how a market economy works. It would be the equivalent of me interrogating a Greek Mythology professor over the platitudes of the Theban cycle.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Well oil went to 134 a barrel and I seen a gas station with 4 a gallon gas and 5 for diesel. Many of us are as guity as big oil and the politicians and the wall streeters when it comes to the price of fuel. I laugh when I hear someone with a SUV say, This sucks it cost me 150 to fill up. Hey you bought the SUV. This country is going to be in a major, major recession. Boat industries will fail, I heard today a large trucking outfit went under. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE NORM, if the price doesn't come down. I said this 9 months ago on this forum, you see large SUVs waiting to pick Johnny up from school. So now you have 2 people in a vehicle that can hold ten or 12. Not many people with fuel efficient cars. All other major countries beside the USA drive small fuel efficient cars. When people vote down additional oil and gas reserves like in Alaska( reason it might kill some caribou) windmills(they are ugly and the nimba syndrome) then they have no reason to **** and moan. We knew this years ago but did we act no. As for additional refineries no one wants them in there area or even state. So we pay the price and we are somewhat to blame. So remember this when you hand the gas attendant your hard earned money.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Today Jim Cramer said that gas will be between five and six dollars per gallon by Summers end.
We have to start relying on getting oil domestically.
Drilling in Alaska is a must.
Drilling off of the coasts of Florida and California are a must.
Gas has been going up ten cents per day...and there seems to be no end.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
I am walking a lot more lately, and have re-discovered that I
have truly missed it. Am now buying more store brands, and no longer stop in at convenience stores.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The scary thing about this uptick in prices is that it comes with our economy reportedly 'sluggish'. For the first time in U.S. history, we've reduced gasoline consumption for two consecutive years. And yet, the prices remain higher. Now ask yourself if the economy was more robust, and we were increasing our consumption, instead of decreasing it. How much higher would these prices be? The fear of shortages is real. 5 year futures contracts are being bid up to $140 a barrel. That means investors are banking on margin calls to exceed this amount by 2013. If I had any brains (or balls) I'd be throwing my money in this direction as well.

As for the senate interrogating these execs, they aren't qualified to do so, because none of them really understand the machinations of how a market economy works. It would be the equivalent of me interrogating a Greek Mythology professor over the platitudes of the Theban cycle.
the reason the price of gas has little correlation to the lessening demand in the US is because demand is up around the world, we are in a world market and we are competing with others for a limited amount of oil, those who pony up the highest amount of money get the oil.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The fear of shortages is real. 5 year futures contracts are being bid up to $140 a barrel. That means investors are banking on margin calls to exceed this amount by 2013.
2013??? How about by friday. lol. Personally I think the supply/demand argument is a whole lot of nonsense. I think the numbers get manipulated just to drive up prices. I think there is a lot more oil than we are lead to believe. And the tree huggers are making the situation worse. Build refineries! Drill in Alaska! The falling dollar is not helping either. Oil is traded in US dollars, worldwide (except Iran). If the dollar is devalued, the price of oil has to be raised because it is an international commodity. So while it is effecting the whole world, it effects us more because the dollar is falling AGAINST other countries currencies.

On a side note, just something I have been thinking about lately. Iran just took their oil off the US dollar standard and is trading it in Euros. If other OPEC nations follow their lead, the dollar could be worthless. it could destroy our economy. The last country that tried to do that was Iraq at the end of 2000. They sure are back on the dollar now though. LOL. There has been a lot of anti-Iran rhetoric coming out of Washington lately. I'm not usually one for conspiracies, but if we end up attacking them, it will just be too convenient to overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey