Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 02:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,610 times

Advertisements

How is Hunterdon County with LGBT people? Are they accepted? I know Trump won the county. Specifically Readington Township/White House Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 02:50 AM

9,965 posts, read 6,572,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4xn14h41 View Post
How is Hunterdon County with LGBT people? Are they accepted? I know Trump won the county. Specifically Readington Township/White House Station.
Why does Trump winning the county have anything to do with it? Obama lost the county and he was deeply against homosexuals in 2008.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:21 PM

87,956 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
I don't think politics matter so much as religious beliefs, and I don't see anywhere in NJ as a hotbed of religious fundamentalism. Does anybody really care much anymore?

Besides, you never heard of Lambertville?

Anyway, here's an older article that should give you the info you seek.

https://outinjersey.net/where-do-gay...in-new-jersey/

Old 07-02-2020, 09:02 PM

275 posts, read 211,482 times
Quote:

This is just as funny as the people asking if New Jersey is diverse......

Old 07-02-2020, 09:46 PM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think politics matter so much as religious beliefs, and I don't see anywhere in NJ as a hotbed of religious fundamentalism. Does anybody really care much anymore?

Besides, you never heard of Lambertville?

Anyway, here's an older article that should give you the info you seek.

https://outinjersey.net/where-do-gay...in-new-jersey/
Cumberland County sort of surprises me, though not completely. I know that there are a couple of organic farms, wineries, and a strong bay restoration movement.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:26 AM

7 posts, read 11,610 times
Default OP Clarification

Would you say that a conservative county in New Jersey doesn't mean the same thing in terms of homophobia as it would in, say, Ohio? Are people just generally more accepting no matter where you are in the state?

Reaction to comments:

I don't wanna hear how "it doesn't matter" that they voted for Trump. It absolutely has a huge effect on the culture and social acceptance you can expect in an area. Not all republicans are homophobic, but they are much, much more likely to be than democrats, to the point where something like 95% of LGBT people vote democratic because they perceive the GOP as being hostile to them. I've lived in Missouri and I can tell you that homophobia is alive and well in the US. Even in Union County, where I'm currently living, there is plenty of homophobia, though LGBT accepting people are a majority here.

Useful advice: Just because you don't like a question doesn't mean the person who wrote it is a troll.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Cumberland County sort of surprises me, though not completely. I know that there are a couple of organic farms, wineries, and a strong bay restoration movement.
Really? I didn't know about this. I'm going to look up more info.

I don't know Cumberland County at all.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Would you say that a conservative county in New Jersey doesn't mean the same thing in terms of homophobia as it would in, say, Ohio? Are people just generally more accepting no matter where you are in the state?

Reaction to comments:

I don't wanna hear how "it doesn't matter" that they voted for Trump. It absolutely has a huge effect on the culture and social acceptance you can expect in an area. Not all republicans are homophobic, but they are much, much more likely to be than democrats, to the point where something like 95% of LGBT people vote democratic because they perceive the GOP as being hostile to them. I've lived in Missouri and I can tell you that homophobia is alive and well in the US. Even in Union County, where I'm currently living, there is plenty of homophobia, though LGBT accepting people are a majority here.
I am not familiar with Ohio, so I can't make the comparison, but I do believe your last statement about people being generally more accepting in most parts of this state is accurate. I can't vouch for some of the southermost counties, because I don't know them.

As an example, I'm a moderator on the Religion & Spirituality forum on this site, and I had a difficult time at first believing people from other parts of the country claiming that religious people come knocking on their doors on a regular basis trying to convert them and get them to go to church. We do get a few JWs here in Jersey, but I'm 61 years old, have lived in NJ all my life, and I can count on one hand the number of times I got such a knock on my door. We have a lot of diversity here as far as other races and religions, and it just doesn't work in New Jersey if you're determined to dislike people who aren't just like you.

But yes, of course, the reality is that there are homophobes everywhere, as you already know. A couple of them I could name because they are my own cousins (Bergen County), although they are an anomaly in my hometown. And this century. I just don't think you're going to run into that too heavily in an area like Hunterdon where the people are in general well-educated and the median income is high. As already mentioned, Lambertville is a well-known gay community, a twin town to New Hope across the Delaware. I don't see anyone riding in there with torches and pitchforks. The leaning toward Trump likely has more to do with hanging on to money than anything else.

Quote:
Useful advice: Just because you don't like a question doesn't mean the person who wrote it is a troll.
Besides, it's against the Terms of Service on this site.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:46 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
A county voting for Trump would signify that they are more educated and not swayed by stereotypes and are more open minded.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:21 AM

19,033 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
A county voting for Trump would signify that they are more educated and not swayed by stereotypes and are more open minded.
Thank you for the best laugh of the day, so far.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...he-white-house

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ote-for-trump/

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...litics/575113/

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...idated-voters/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey