Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
All jokes aside … I lived in Elizabeth for 25 years before moving out about six years ago. Elizabeth was a great place to grow up and I have many fond memories. Especially 1995, the glory days, Elizabeth was the place to be if you were in your teens or early twenties. It was so good that it was very hard to leave.

Now saying that, you would be shocked if you saw Elizabeth today. It is NOTHING like the city you remember. You wouldn’t even recognize it. It started decaying in 2002 and hasn’t been the same since. It basically became Paterson East. If you weren’t from there during that time, you could care less. But I’ll always consider it home, and for me, that’s made the downfall even sadder to witness.
Outside of the private/side coversation - I don't see how it's changed form 2002 to 2008. It looks the same to me. The same areas around second street/catherine are the not so nice areas, the same parts closer to Newark/Roselle seem to be and have always been better areas, around Trinitas Hospital is disgusting. Around the port is decent and along St. Georges Avenue is decent section as well. I mean it still looks the same, but like most communities, they're becoming over populated and deteriorating. I don't see a big difference tho in the last 5/6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
hey youuuuuuuuuuuu what do you mean another story?? pffffffffffft!

Anyhow...(changing subject for I'm getting killed ova here)...my son pitched his first game sat night, went 3 innings, stroke out 5, one hit batter, allowed 3 runs, 1 earned. went 3 for 3 with a double and 2 singles and a walk and drove in 3 runs!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Anyhow...(changing subject for I'm getting killed ova here)...my son pitched his first game sat night, went 3 innings, stroke out 5, one hit batter, allowed 3 runs, 1 earned. went 3 for 3 with a double and 2 singles and a walk and drove in 3 runs!
but does he love Elizabeth? Or was it Elizabeth that he struck out?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:05 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
but does he love Elizabeth? Or was it Elizabeth that he struck out?

Well, Elizabeth didn't even make it to the game, neither did shirley or Nancy. and I think he's still too young to be loving anyone but mom & dad

Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Are we talking about the Queen of England? She's too serious looking for all of this.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Are we talking about the Queen of England? She's too serious looking for all of this.
Yeah she is but remember that she did have the sordid fling with the much younger Devereaux... really she could have hung out with the Sex and the City ladies.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Of course it's not wrong to love Elizabeth. Heck, some people even love Newark and that's not wrong either. When you live in a place, you see the good and the bad, instead of either over-praising it or dismissing it.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Outside of the private/side coversation - I don't see how it's changed form 2002 to 2008. It looks the same to me. The same areas around second street/catherine are the not so nice areas, the same parts closer to Newark/Roselle seem to be and have always been better areas, around Trinitas Hospital is disgusting. Around the port is decent and along St. Georges Avenue is decent section as well. I mean it still looks the same, but like most communities, they're becoming over populated and deteriorating. I don't see a big difference tho in the last 5/6 years.
Yeah, besides the fact that it's turned into a little Central American country overnight, nothing at all has changed.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
I currently live in Elizabeth.. as I do not LOVE Elizabeth, I'm happy to be there.. I was raised in Elizabeth, I moved to Manhattan for approx 5 years, then moved back to Elizabeth when I bought my first house.. there is nothing wrong with loving Elizabeth, many people have nice memories, others are creating memories in Elizabeth.. and yes many people in this forum bad mouth Elizabeth but it's exaggerated.. People who lived in Elizabeth and moved out talk bad about Elizabeth b/c they prob did not have a social life in Elizabeth and doubt they have one wherever they moved to, b/c it's not the place that makes one but the personality, IMO..
in regards to little central american country.. downtown by Elizabeth Ave and 5th i think there was a huge population of central americans but that's no longer the case, many have moved to NC/SC.. :-) and you can start to see the increase in diversity in that area as well..

there is a large Hispanic population in Elizabeth, but there is also other nationalities/races, etc.. you can see this if YOU LIVE in ELIZABETH.. most people on this board don't live in ELizabeth, so they would not know..

Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Okay, I have to disagree on a couple points:

-- If you stepped out of a time warp from 1995, you would instantly wonder where all the Italians and Jews went. Elmora (formerly Jewish) and Peterstown (formerly Italian) have changed completely, and are now almost entirely Hispanic.

-- While the Central American/ Mexican population may be diminishing a bit in Elizabeth, you can see with the naked eye that they are still the dominant population. Of course, census figures won’t reflect that, because most of them are illegal.

-- There was also a pronounced Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican population, which has also decreased dramatically (replaced by the Central American, Mexican and, surprisingly, a growing Portuguese influx).

-- The Haitian/Jamaican population is still about the same, and the African-American population has probably increased a bit.

-- Now as far as social life, anyone who was anyone back in the day never hung out in Elizabeth – unless absolutely nothing else was going on in NYC, Hoboken, etc. I don’t know if Elizabeth’s social life has improved, but since all I hear about now is how great Cocobongo is, I’d bet that it hasn’t!!!

Disclaimer: I’m not saying these things to put down Elizabeth, I’m simply answering the OP’s question in regards to the statements she’s heard about much it’s changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey