Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 12:45 PM

7,354 posts, read 3,525,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Mike J is correct. I also hope the vaccine is successful. If so, we should begin seeing more normalcy as we approach November and December.

The big question about schools the Gov has dodged constantly is what would happen if a student or students are tested positive for COVID? Would the entire school have to close or would just those students be quarantined? What would be the protocall if a teacher tests positive? .
They will close the schools. These half-day schedules that most districts are coming out with are done by design. Make it so ridiculous that when they do close schools people won't be as angry because they're barely in school to begin with. I am not sure if all districts operate the same way but my district has always been overly cautious even for the pandemic about anything. I just don't see schools stay open if they get one or two positive cases I think that's going to be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 01:00 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
I really hope they don't open, then close. My kids NEED to be in school. Being out is far more risk for them than Covid. If you didn't watch the video I linked to, please do. It's only three minutes long. It was made by a 15 year old Canadian girl and is simply titled 'Numb'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSkbd6hRkXo

CDC has come out now saying much the same. Kids need to go back to school.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html

Old 07-26-2020, 07:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i wonder if there is a school like this where we could utilize instead of using our school district's online offering:

https://www.flvs.net/

i dont understand why i need to use the local school district if the school is going to be online. i want that 60% of my property taxes back and ill use it for some other option, either a better online option or a some form of private school who will hold in person classes.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Some Summer camps and some contact sports in a few towns/universities have already been cancelled in NJ due to people testing positive. I just don't see how the schools will be any different.a few positives will prompt Murphy to close them again.
The NJ summer camp my kids (3 kids) have gone to since they were 4 years old is open.

I see, on my FB newsfeed, daily pics of staff & campers...there is zero mask wearing. And I mean ZERO.
Also zero social distancing.

Week 4 of camp is starting tomorrow. Still no reports of C-19.

To be honest I am waiting to hear that the camp had to close "due to" ...

However:

My 12 year old - he was afraid to go to camp. Thankfully the camp is wonderful and fully refunded our $. He's also afraid to go to school in the fall. It's an independent private school and it IS opening for full days of school and 5 days/wk - supposedly with a remote learning option. We'll be getting more details on Tues.

My oldest (21) is a rising senior in college, and middle (18) is a rising freshman in college (both @ same college in PA). I sat through countless webinars the college held, have been receiving an email re: the C-19/college's plan of action about every 2-3 days....and when I took the two of them to BJs three days ago (21 year old is in a suite, needs things for kitchen/bathroom, 18 year old needs all the normal "freshman college stuff")...we got home to an email that stated that the college's plan to re-open is under review given the recent uptick of positive cases in the state, and we'll hear, at the end of this week, if they will keep campus closed.

One well known college in the area already closed campus for the fall. Another well known college is re-evaluating and will let their students know 8/3.

I'm thinking my 21 & 18 year old will be home for their first semesters of their senior and freshman year.
And probably their second semesters, as well.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-26-2020 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 11:06 PM

195 posts, read 135,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder if there is a school like this where we could utilize instead of using our school district's online offering:

https://www.flvs.net/

i dont understand why i need to use the local school district if the school is going to be online. i want that 60% of my property taxes back and ill use it for some other option, either a better online option or a some form of private school who will hold in person classes.
i was on the teachers forum telling them that thier push for perpetual online classes until a "viable" vaccine is "widely" available will undermine thier wages and the public will not support the same level of taxation. They seem to think they are invulnerable to market competition. the government monopoly they have over our tax money wont last forever(maybe in nj it will)

Old 07-26-2020, 11:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
I believe AstraZeneca has been contracted by the U.S. to create 300m doses of the vaccine with the initial batch scheduled to be made available in early October.

Hopefully, it works.
It won't work if people don't all take them. When you have stragglers like the anti-vaxxers, that's the reason why Fauci claims the virus will never go away because we're giving it opportunities to survive. The reason why measles disappeared so long and is making a come back because anti-vaxxers are giving it a medium.

Once the vaccine comes out, it has to be distributed quickly and taken by the population within the same period or window to be effective. If many stragglers don't take them and become infected, the virus will survive living amongst the anti-vax communities. Once the vaccine wears off, people who get into contact with infected individuals will get sick again.

We have to become immunized all at the same time when the vaccine is effective so the virus can be cleansed and not given any chance of multiplying.

This will take years and multiple dosage to fully get the virus under control. I imagine this is probably atleast 6+ years before the population becomes fully acclimated with the virus and our immune system becomes fully adapted. There still will be thousands of deaths each month to COVID19.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:00 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It won't work if people don't all take them. When you have stragglers like the anti-vaxxers, that's the reason why Fauci claims the virus will never go away because we're giving it opportunities to survive. The reason why measles disappeared so long and is making a come back because anti-vaxxers are giving it a medium.

Once the vaccine comes out, it has to be distributed quickly and taken by the population within the same period or window to be effective. If many stragglers don't take them and become infected, the virus will survive living amongst the anti-vax communities. Once the vaccine wears off, people who get into contact with infected individuals will get sick again.

We have to become immunized all at the same time when the vaccine is effective so the virus can be cleansed and not given any chance of multiplying.
+1
When you consider how many knuckleheads are still refusing to wear a mask, just imagine how many anti-science types will refuse to be vaccinated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gn=coronavirus

Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I really hope they don't open, then close. My kids NEED to be in school. Being out is far more risk for them than Covid. If you didn't watch the video I linked to, please do. It's only three minutes long. It was made by a 15 year old Canadian girl and is simply titled 'Numb'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSkbd6hRkXo

CDC has come out now saying much the same. Kids need to go back to school.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html
CDC completely tossed the reopening guidelines and redid them because Trump did not like the first set. So yes, they are now saying that, but I don’t put a whole lot of stocking it due to the reasons that they change the report.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:54 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

This will take years and multiple dosage to fully get the virus under control. I imagine this is probably atleast 6+ years before the population becomes fully acclimated with the virus and our immune system becomes fully adapted. There still will be thousands of deaths each month to COVID19.
Two months is not enough time for human trials in any case. This is going to be highly rushed, too rushed in my opinion for most people to be willing to take it. I think the white house is primary objective is to get a vaccine up and running before November 3, whether it’s safe or not.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
i was on the teachers forum telling them that thier push for perpetual online classes until a "viable" vaccine is "widely" available will undermine thier wages and the public will not support the same level of taxation. They seem to think they are invulnerable to market competition. the government monopoly they have over our tax money wont last forever(maybe in nj it will)
im simply not getting what im paying for and im not sure why they are entitled to the same money for a crappy product. if they arent offering in class instruction, then what is the difference if my kids take classes from Holmdel or Florida or Texas or wherever. i assume that somewhere an online program that matches grade expectations has been developed with thoughtfulness and not just tossed together last minute. that is what we should use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: