Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 21,799 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have lived in NJ for my whole life and in the next few years my family and I are planning on relocating down south. You all live here so there are the basic cons like congestion, fast paced, rude people, cost of living, property taxes ect. We bought a house a few years ago in a great school district, near an elementary school really the paper ideal spot, even close to family but it sucks here. Everyone keeps to themselves, we don't know our neighbors (despite the effort) kids dont play outside their own yards, play dates are rare its just not very warm and welcoming.

My husband and I both have jobs we can easily transfer anywhere. I don't need to get a license or do anything to move. Any city state out there I can find something so jobs are not an issue.

What I want

Southern Charm
Friendly People
Smaller town feel
Neighborly
Decent commute meaning not crazy traffic (ex Dallas)
House here is 2000 sq ft 0.35 acres, 4 bed 1.5 bath $410, ideal new house 3000 sq ft 0.35+ acres, 4-5 bedrooms and at least 2 full baths hoping to be in the 250-300 range. I know this is possible for random city searches but dependent on the area.
School system is critical, I have a kid on the spectrum so I need them to be accommodating this usually is automatic if the school is good.
Low crime. I want my kids to feel safe outside.
Community pride, I want their to be fans at football games, good community activities for the kids

I know its a big wish list. I have no idea where to really start. I know were not doing FL. My husband vetoed that one already. So far I have looked into GA and TX. Anyone move that has some suggestions?

I checked for a similar post and the last one I found was from 2008 so I figured a lot would change.

We will actually visit where we narrow down sometime after its safe again to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:13 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
I’m sure you can find what you’re looking for in some parts of every state. You should probably narrow down the state first and then take it from there. Or better yet, post in the forums of the top 3 states you’re considering.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Greensboro NC

My family moved here. Brick buildings in the downtown, great restaurants, no traffic, great people, affordable... and close to Mountains/Things to do.

We looked in Fisher Park and you can get an amazing home fro 300k.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0684...7i13312!8i6656 Downtown (Lots of Breweries)

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0808...7i13312!8i6656 How clse the nicest area is to Downtown

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0661...7i13312!8i6656 Cool Bar Strip

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1343...7i10564!8i5282 Cool Park Systems

Old 07-10-2020, 11:18 AM

965 posts, read 725,488 times
Well, if you really can transfer anywhere you have a ton of options (and consider yourself lucky!)

Based on what you describe, I would probably pick a small/medium-sized southern metro like Charleston or something. Carolinas probably have many that would fit this category (Asheville?) You get the benefit of a lower cost of living (although Charleston is not exactly cheap) but some nicer creature comfort like beaches or mountains, good restaurants, etc.

If it we're me, I would lean more towards the West Coast - Bend, Oregon, somewhere in Colorado, etc. since that's more my thing and I would like a less extreme climate. But it's nice to have options.

To your original question "is it worth it" is totally subjective. Everyone's financial and family statuses are different. We are not from this area, but are happy here for now. But, our careers are oriented toward NYC so that kinda keeps us tethered (probably like a lot of people) and we've done well here. But if we had an opportunity to keep our careers and move anywhere (hellooooo San Diego!) due to COVID/WFH than maybe we'd act on that.

I'm sure the friendliness of neighborhoods vary from town-to-town, so maybe you were just unluckly. In our first place in Hoboken, a massive condo building, we lived there for 5 years and barely knew any of our neighbors. We moved 5 blocks away and now are friends with half our building. Sometimes its luck of the draw.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:42 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Well, if you really can transfer anywhere you have a ton of options (and consider yourself lucky!)

Based on what you describe, I would probably pick a small/medium-sized southern metro like Charleston or something. Carolinas probably have many that would fit this category (Asheville?) You get the benefit of a lower cost of living (although Charleston is not exactly cheap) but some nicer creature comfort like beaches or mountains, good restaurants, etc.

If it we're me, I would lean more towards the West Coast - Bend, Oregon, somewhere in Colorado, etc. since that's more my thing and I would like a less extreme climate. But it's nice to have options.

To your original question "is it worth it" is totally subjective. Everyone's financial and family statuses are different. We are not from this area, but are happy here for now. But, our careers are oriented toward NYC so that kinda keeps us tethered (probably like a lot of people) and we've done well here. But if we had an opportunity to keep our careers and move anywhere (hellooooo San Diego!) due to COVID/WFH than maybe we'd act on that.

I'm sure the friendliness of neighborhoods vary from town-to-town, so maybe you were just unluckly. In our first place in Hoboken, a massive condo building, we lived there for 5 years and barely knew any of our neighbors. We moved 5 blocks away and now are friends with half our building. Sometimes its luck of the draw.
I dont think the West Coast met anyof the OPs suggestions/requirements.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:02 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I will agree that the neighborliness factor is very much the luck of the draw. You could live on one street and have one impression and live 2 streets away or even at the other end of a street and have a totally different experience.
That said, though, it looks like you are looking for a lower cost of living area as well.
I can comment that Asheville and Charleston are not cheap.
Greenville gets mentioned frequently as does Greer. For starters.

Wilmington NC would be good as well.
Roanoke Virginia and the surrounding areas might be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: