Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsands View Post
Is it okay to spray all over the grass?
It is too much for topical spraying.
Is Roundup safe now?
Also how do identify my type of grass and the weeds that are growing all around?
If you use a weed killer for lawns, you don't need to know what you're killing. You just want it to be dead. You don't need to know what type of grass you have. Plant, seed the one which is the best for your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
After trying to control a mostly-weed lawn for three years, I finally dug an entire section up, enriched the clay with topsoil, peat moss and lime, then replanted. And it’s still a struggle to keep weeds out. Just what the OP wants to do, I’m sure.

Maybe replace the grass with mulched beds and shrubs? That’s what I’m doing in a different section.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:55 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
After trying to control a mostly-weed lawn for three years, I finally dug an entire section up, enriched the clay with topsoil, peat moss and lime, then replanted. And it’s still a struggle to keep weeds out. Just what the OP wants to do, I’m sure.

Maybe replace the grass with mulched beds and shrubs? That’s what I’m doing in a different section.
When I had a situation similar to yours - though I had more grass than weeds - I used weed killer for lawns and paid a service to core aerate and spread topsoil. I added some compost and spread the seed. Despite adding lime annually, one shady area always had moss. I liked it because it was pretty and springy, soft.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
I've had good luck with "Bayer Advanced Weed Killer." You attach the bottle to your hose and spray your lawn.

But you have to keep spraying as your neighbors lawns are also probably full of weeds and crabgrass and their seeds will find their way onto your lawn.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
wait until fall, all vegetation is stressed out in this heat

Old 07-19-2020, 06:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Agree with previous, it's really hot and anything that goes down is really going to stress the lawn right now. Need to wait for these 95+ days to cool. Then after that just buy the weed killers that attach to your hose. Easy to use, literally like 1/50th what you'll get charged to have someone come out and do it and works almost as good.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:23 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I've been spraying Weed b Gone by Ortho this week on miscellaneous yard weeds, and it's worked well in 97 degree days.

I also have Roundup with a battery sprayer I'm using to kill Johnson Grass. Boy, that stuff is tough to get rid of without digging it up.

Last year, I went with one of the biggest National lawn fertilizers services. About all they got rid of was $1000 of my pocketbook. Most individuals can easily do the same with a graduated lawn sprayer on a water hose and a pump up 1-2 gallon yard sprayer.

Most yards can be fertilized with granulated fertilizer in just a few minutes. I have a plastic Scotts fertilizer applicator.

Maintaining a beautiful yard is not rocket science. And it's not even hard work. I have 1 acre yard, and I can cut every inch of it riding my zero turn mower. And I have a great time doing it.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 PM

291 posts, read 109,227 times
for killing weeds i just take some hot water, mix it with some baking soda and a bit of vinegar, then dump some beer in it, them dump it all over the weeds and a day later the weeds are gone

for temporary solution just mow them

Old 07-26-2020, 07:47 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
For random dandelions and other weeds that are growing in the lawn, I use this product which does not kill the grass:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVAN...ller/999919198

For weeds in other, non-lawn areas, I make my own non-toxic weed killer by mixing one gallon of white vinegar, one cup of salt, and a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.

I mix those ingredients in a pressure sprayer, and then I saturate weeds with this solution. It kills almost all unwanted vegetation fairly fast, especially on a hot day.

Besides being far cheaper than commercial weed killers, it is not carcinogenic--unlike Roundup.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:27 PM

25 posts, read 28,183 times
Thanks all. I signed up with True Green. Like I said I have no talent or inclinations gardening work. Let's see how it goes. Till next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: