Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times

Advertisements

When I get gas I always pay with cash. If the pump stops at 29.78 I really don't want 22 cents in change. I want them to round it off. This is easy when gas is 3.50 a gallon. On the other hand when I paid 99 cents a gallon and the pump stopped at 9.23 and the guy tries to round it off to 10.00 and spills the last 20 cents down the side of your car from the gas tank overflowing than I was not to happy about the round off. With gas this high it should be very easy to round the cost to the nearest dollar which is upward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:35 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
Is it legal for a gas station attendant to round up your gas purchase? Like once the gas stops pumping and its full. I tell him to fill the tank so that means when it stops pumping,its full.I dont give him permission to charge me for more gas.I dont want more gas.With gas being the price it is these days.
No, I don't think it's illegal.
What I see down here is that they do not add more unless you ask.

I can get some days another $2+ after it stops, and some days do get out of the car and do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
sorry to disagree, but this is one thing NJ gets right, there is almost no savings to the consumer with self serve, the only one who gets over are the station operators who can hire less help.
I've talked about self-serve many times in other posts.

If anyone looks at my profile, it says "Sue from Matty's Car Care" which is now a Delta station in Watchung. My dad has run the place (before his death) since the late 60's. I've worked there full time since the mid 70's.

I can tell everyone that self-serve is not cheaper then what we have in NJ. There are posts at various forums, what are you paying for gas.. they are posting self-serve prices which is more then full serve NJ prices.

While the pumps appear to be set up for self-serve (there is only 2 states without) there are a lot of costs involved that guess who pays? The consumer

If you read my dad's obituary, it says:

Quote:
until his retirement in September 2003. Matty was also active with the NJ Gasoline Retailers Association since 1969 and was active in the fight to keep self-service gas out of NJ. He was recently made a life member.
My dad, as well as I was very proud of what he's done to stop self-serve. While people can say what they want about not having it, the day will come when we do and these same people will be posting, bitching about the price. Bet me.

I went out to California back in 1988 and was shocked at how expensive gas was - self serve. I took pictures of price signs for my dad so that he could use it while he lobbied. IIRC, they were about 25 cents more back then.

So, you have technology that will have to be upgraded, then insurance to cover the customers pumping their own gas and possibly getting it in their eyes, and spraying it all over the ground.. can you say EPA?

As a gas pumper all of those years, I could not believe the stupid things people have done. I've seen someone pull the nozzle out, to grab it in the "on" position and spray it. I've seen idiots over-heating, they pop the hood and start taking the radiator cap off hot. Back in the day when we sold regular leaded gas & diesel, how about the person that was going for the diesel pump in their leaded car?

After pumping gas all of my life, no I don't want self-serve and will continue my dad's fight if I have to.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
First, I apologize for ranting off topic, but some of the replies got me thinking...

I wish they would let out of stater's pump their own gas. Believe it or not, many people do have a working knowledge of the highly technical fuel delivery systems at the local filling station. But Nooooooo (Belushi voice), NJ forces me to have some pump jockey (more often than not) slam that nozzle into my vehicle (half the time hitting the paint job) and then whisking it out afterward leaving a nice spray of raw fuel on the car as well. I always stop in Delaware to top off the tank before I reach NJ. Then if I have to fill up in NJ, I ask my friends to tell me which gas stations turn a blind eye to pump your own customers. They'll get my business.
When I lived in NJ, and was in a neighboring state, I did the same exact thing. I avoided getting gas in NJ if I had to (which was rare, since I did not travel out of state often) I can't stand the idea that the state thinks we need an engineering degree to pump our own gas. Plus, I don't like waiting. I never understood this aspect of NJ culture.

Now of course, I pump my own. My mom is visiting here in a few weeks. One of the first things that is going to happen is my 5 year old son is going to attempt to teach her how to pump her own gas.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,085 times
I always pay with a debit card so i dont see the need for them to top me off.they dont have to bother with change.Maybe just a habit? What is the basis behind the law making in illegal to pump your own gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: