Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 10,404 times

Advertisements

My company just announced we'll be given the option to work virtually at least through next year if not indefinitely given how we've all adapted to remote work in recent months. I had been eyeing Montclair, Maplewood and Westfield given the communities, walkable downtowns and commute.

But we're rethinking things knowing we may only ever have to go in 2-3 days a week. Nayack is somewhere, for example, that we love and are now thinking about whether it could be possible to live there. Now wondering what other towns should be on our radar.

I've found all the comments so helpful on previous posts and so I thought I'd open up the question --- if commuting weren't an issue, where in NJ (or NY) would you live?

Things we're looking for in order: strong communities, great schools (don't have to be top 10!), walkable downtowns, diversity, commutable (some way to get to the city in 2 hours or less).

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i would absolutely be living on the water. not really sure what the best town would be though.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 AM

213 posts, read 350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromBKtoNJ View Post
My company just announced we'll be given the option to work virtually at least through next year if not indefinitely given how we've all adapted to remote work in recent months. I had been eyeing Montclair, Maplewood and Westfield given the communities, walkable downtowns and commute.

But we're rethinking things knowing we may only ever have to go in 2-3 days a week. Nayack is somewhere, for example, that we love and are now thinking about whether it could be possible to live there. Now wondering what other towns should be on our radar.

I've found all the comments so helpful on previous posts and so I thought I'd open up the question --- if commuting weren't an issue, where in NJ (or NY) would you live?

Things we're looking for in order: strong communities, great schools (don't have to be top 10!), walkable downtowns, diversity, commutable (some way to get to the city in 2 hours or less).

Thanks for your help!!
Princeton, Morristown

Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
If given the option of not going back to the office I would hightail out of NJ to a red state.

If given the option of anywhere near the state I would move down the shore (the south jersey part) or the Poconos.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:45 AM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Somewhere along River Rd. in Fort Lee, Edgewater, North Bergen, West New York, Guttenberg, Weehawken.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Somewhere along the Jersey Shore with an ocean view.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:52 PM

480 posts, read 480,261 times
Right where we're at:

Old 07-27-2020, 01:00 PM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
If I could guarantee that my (and my wife's) commute would not be an everyday thing, I would be looking hard at Princeton. Or hell, even some of the really nice South Jersey suburbs of Philly, where your money stretches a lot farther but you still have easy access to a cool city.

In my head I always say the shore would be awesome to live full time, but flooding and schools would be my primary concern there (for the communities right on the ocean, of course).

Old 07-27-2020, 01:09 PM

480 posts, read 480,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
If I could guarantee that my (and my wife's) commute would not be an everyday thing.
My wife and I both work locally, but we're waiting to see if real estate values will get a boost in this area (Northwest Hunterdon/Southern Warren Counties) if companies begin offering telework arrangements whereby people may only have to commute east once or twice a week instead of Monday through Friday. I'm not worried about development in my particular Township (Bethlehem) as we are essentially built out. Any open land out there is either preserved open space, preserved farmland, or rendered undevelopable through a combination of the Highlands Act and local zoning, therefore inventory is relatively fixed while demand seems to be going up. This also has the potential to help some of the smaller centers such as High Bridge (Hunterdon) and Washington Borough (Warren) develop further into downtown hubs.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:46 PM

82 posts, read 79,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromBKtoNJ View Post

Thanks for your help!!
If I could permanently work remotely then i'm getting FAR away from this craphole!

If I had to stay in NJ and commute wasn't an issue then maybe Atlantic City or somewhere along the Jersey Shore. It's near the beach, has amenities and is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey