Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 01:09 PM

963 posts, read 723,108 times

Advertisements

I'd say based on what you described, I would lean toward Montclair as others have said, Maplewood as well. But Montclair has the best combination of artsy, good restaurants/downtown (a few different "downtowns" actually) and one of the best, well-preserved old housing stocks you'll find anywhere - it's quite a gorgeous town. From what I can gather, the schools are good "enough", and it attracts a well-educated (and typically liberal) population from the city. But I don't actually live there, so can't comment directly on the schools.

If you had said that you wanted something a bit more urban and closer to the city than I would have suggested Jersey City or Hoboken - you can definitely afford it, but if you want "family friendly" I assumed you wanted a more classical definition of that term. Although, I have a family and live in Hoboken, and so do many others across both cities. Deals to be had here at the moment, with people bailing on urban living!

I'm not sure how Millburn came onto your radar. While a lovely town with top schools, I would probably put 30 towns ahead of that based on what you described. I've never been to Red Bank so can't comment on that, other than it's close to the beach which is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 01:58 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
25-35 with a $1.2M budget, please let me know what I need to do!

NJ is not an artsy state, its families and business minded people. The most artsy towns are Montclair and Asbury Park (which is empty 8 months of the year and wouldnt recommend living in based on safety) and thats it for artsy. Red Bank might fit the bill on location but its a lower middle class town. Montclair might be more what youre looking for.

Many of the eatery prices don't quite reflect that IMO.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:01 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Many of the eatery prices don't quite reflect that IMO.
It’s got a Tiffiany’s, Garmany Clothiers and a Hamilton Jewelers. I’m not sure he’s ever been to Red Bank since the 80’s

Old 08-19-2020, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,009 times
Super helpful suggestions. Thanks all!

Old 08-19-2020, 07:35 PM

182 posts, read 136,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
It’s got a Tiffiany’s, Garmany Clothiers and a Hamilton Jewelers. I’m not sure he’s ever been to Red Bank since the 80’s
However, in fairness, there are still some fairly run down residential areas in Red Bank.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-19-2020 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: My error

Old 08-19-2020, 09:02 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
A quick note on dogs in the city, should you end up expanding your search to include it... We had two dogs while living on the upper west side. Being between two parks, there was plenty of space and numerous dog runs. Weekends before 9:00 am the leash rules are ignored and you’ll find large groups of people and their dogs hanging about in certain locations throughout the parks. Soho doesn’t really have that kind of green area, but other neighborhoods do.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
However, in fairness, there are still some fairly run down residential areas in Red Bank.
Mostly on the side running along Shrewsbury Avenue, but they aren't dangerous, just working class. And because of the neighborhood, Red Bank has some darn fine Mexican restaurants and food markets, as well as a Mexican bakery.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:26 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
Welcome to NJ.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,303 times
Look at Morristown NJ Too

Old 08-27-2020, 03:09 PM

32 posts, read 26,768 times
Ridgewood & Summit have drawn Wall Street types more than artsy ones over the years. I'd second Montclair. Maplewood is a short train ride to the city and a good option for convenience, though not so artsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey