Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Ah yeahhh you did

Specifically

"And yet Florida ranks 17th right now in deaths per capita. Do you need a reminder on where NJ sits?"
They have had fewer deaths per capita from Covid. That is a simple fact that in no way, shape, or form translates into ‘I think Florida is a better state’. It also doesn’t mean Murphy is better than DeSantis. You’re funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 06:01 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
They have had fewer deaths per capita from Covid. That is a simple fact that in no way, shape, or form translates into ‘I think Florida is a better state’. It also doesn’t mean Murphy is better than DeSantis. You’re funny.
Their numbers don't look good.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 09-08-2020, 06:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
interesting how they have much fewer deaths with more cases (vs new york, i tend to look at new york not nj for work reasons). im curious how the death rate has changed due to treatment. then you have the other factor where the death rate will go down as it spreads among schoolchildren.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
interesting how they have much fewer deaths with more cases (vs new york, i tend to look at new york not nj for work reasons). im curious how the death rate has changed due to treatment. then you have the other factor where the death rate will go down as it spreads among schoolchildren.
I do think they’ll see a slightly larger bump the second time around. NJ’s bump will likely be much smaller because our most susceptible died already. The path for this virus has little to do with who is in charge. It’s about who got hit first, how much we knew at the time the first wave struck, and overall age of the population, with a tiny bit of new treatment methods throw in.

The only validity in criticizing leaders is in how well they can structure their reopening to try and salvage their economy, kids’ education, etc. On that front, I’m not sure Murphy is doing too well.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:11 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Their numbers don't look good.
No, they certainly don't. While conditions in Florida have definitely improved over the past few weeks, the statistics show that currently, they are still not doing enough testing, and that the state's commitment to contact tracing is... dangerously insufficient.

Compare and contrast the stats on testing and contact tracing in FL & NJ:

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl?s=1011214

https://covidactnow.org/us/nj?s=1011214

Old 09-09-2020, 08:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
contact tracing is nothing but a welfare jobs program.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Couldn't rep you again.

I don't know why anyone thinks testing is a solution for handling this virus, either. Unless you're testing everyone, every day, it's meaningless. Humans don't get to control nature. I know lots of people who are grasping at straws, they are so scared of this. Wash your hands, get exercise, eat well... those things are going to do FAR more for you than whether NJ or Florida does testing.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Nailed it, the basement dwellers think it's going to save them.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:49 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ontact-tracing

Old 09-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
While I understand what they’re saying and how contact tracing works, we’re still only delaying the movement, not eradicating the virus. I agree that has benefits, but it’s coming at an increasing cost to our economic, social emotional and academic health. We can’t quarantine everyone each time they have contact with someone else who has the virus.

It’s particularly unnecessary when the individuals are not likely to become very ill themselves. Keep the elderly and immunocompromised away from places like university campuses, but the rest of us have to be allowed to start living again. I need my job back. My kids need to be in school. Businesses need to be allowed to flourish again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey