Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times

Advertisements

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/fo...hieves/793439/

Quote:
The thieves mostly come from Newark and the Oranges, although some are from Hudson County and the Bronx.
lock your car doors, and definitely do not leave the keys inside. living in nice neighborhoods give you a false sense of security.
the scariest part is that if you leave your garage door opener or have homelink, they now have access into your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 PM

82 posts, read 79,651 times
Essex County has been NOTORIOUS for carjackings for decades. Even back when I lived far away on Long Island, most of the carjackers came all the way from those parts of Jersey to steal cars.

People really do need to make sure that their cars, garages, windows and doors are locked. Crime will only get worse as Covid creates more suffering and more ppl turn to alternative ways of making a living as jobs become scarce. Plus, people can now disguise their identity with masks without standing out.

These days, it's not just the "people from bad hoods" that you have to watch out for; but also those in your own neighborhood that may be addicted to heroin. They will do anything to feed that addiction and these addicts are in every town no matter how rich or poor.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:21 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
lock your car doors, and definitely do not leave the keys inside. living in nice neighborhoods give you a false sense of security.
the scariest part is that if you leave your garage door opener or have homelink, they now have access into your house.
I guess that I will never understand people who leave their car unlocked. My neighborhood has essentially a zero crime rate, but I would never leave my car--or my house--unlocked.

A few years ago, we had a "crime wave" that consisted of elementary school-age kids stealing loose change from people's cars because they were unlocked. Nobody lost very much from those thefts, but those foolish car owners could have lost a LOT more if their unlocked car doors had been opened by felonious adults.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:27 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
Essex County has been NOTORIOUS for carjackings for decades. Even back when I lived far away on Long Island, most of the carjackers came all the way from those parts of Jersey to steal cars.

People really do need to make sure that their cars, garages, windows and doors are locked. Crime will only get worse as Covid creates more suffering and more ppl turn to alternative ways of making a living as jobs become scarce. Plus, people can now disguise their identity with masks without standing out.

These days, it's not just the "people from bad hoods" that you have to watch out for; but also those in your own neighborhood that may be addicted to heroin. They will do anything to feed that addiction and these addicts are in every town no matter how rich or poor.
Yes, we had a meth addict next door to us when we first moved in. As his life fell apart, he would steal things from us, for instance we caught him stealing firewood when his utilities got shut off. And using our wagon to steal it! Of course we stopped him, and the police were aware of him, but nothing can really be done until a person does something bigger. I was very nervous living here with him next door. He finally got kicked out a year or so after being foreclosed on.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I guess that I will never understand people who leave their car unlocked. My neighborhood has essentially a zero crime rate, but I would never leave my car--or my house--unlocked.

A few years ago, we had a "crime wave" that consisted of elementary school-age kids stealing loose change from people's cars because they were unlocked. Nobody lost very much from those thefts, but those foolish car owners could have lost a LOT more if their unlocked car doors had been opened by felonious adults.
I argue with my fiancé about this all the time. He acts like it's Mayberry, and he's very absent-minded. Several times he left his door unlocked and the keys on the seat. One of our cats once accidentally locked himself in his van with the keys in it, thank God for AAA. We too had the loose change bandits!

Old 09-01-2020, 07:52 PM

480 posts, read 480,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I argue with my fiancé about this all the time. He acts like it's Mayberry, and he's very absent-minded. Several times he left his door unlocked and the keys on the seat. One of our cats once accidentally locked himself in his van with the keys in it, thank God for AAA. We too had the loose change bandits!
To get to our vehicles in the middle of the night you have to walk down a pitch dark 1/4 mile long gravel road. Needless to say we don't lock them. Now if we could just stop the damn field mice from getting inside them...

Old 09-01-2020, 08:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't even see how that's possible. Almost every car has an automatic lock these days.

Even when I'm outside of my car for 30 seconds with the engine on, I always make sure a window is cracked in case in locks me out.

It might have a pop up lock with the keys in the ignition but I don't risk it.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
To get to our vehicles in the middle of the night you have to walk down a pitch dark 1/4 mile long gravel road. Needless to say we don't lock them. Now if we could just stop the damn field mice from getting inside them...
I think I’d rather have my car stolen than find mice in them

Old 09-02-2020, 03:16 AM

7,354 posts, read 3,525,357 times
And they shouldn't have to drive to a better neighborhood, they should live in a better neighborhood so they can benefit from all the opportunities wealthier towns have to offer. That is why more affordable and fair housing units are needed.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't even see how that's possible. Almost every car has an automatic lock these days.

Even when I'm outside of my car for 30 seconds with the engine on, I always make sure a window is cracked in case in locks me out.

It might have a pop up lock with the keys in the ignition but I don't risk it.
It was an old work van, 1990-something. I don’t know how he did it. Thank God we found him when we did though. It wasn’t that hot out but he was as soaked as if we threw him in the tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey