Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 05:51 PM

910 posts, read 753,169 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting the area in recent months, even though I was familiar with the area some years ago. Is it me or have a lot of people moved into the county recently? I also see way more Hispanic/African-Americans than in the past. I am talking specifically of areas around Franklin, Newton, Sussex, Wantage, etc. Is it just me or has there been a change? I even remember that several years ago, I had visited the Walmart in Franklin several times within a period and never noticed so many crowds as there were last time I visited (couple of weeks ago the lines were long and I had never experienced that in Sussex County). Is there a lot of Section 8 now plus New Yorkers moving into the area? Just curious.

Last edited by canovas; 09-08-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 09:33 AM

252 posts, read 456,167 times
According the US Census Bureau, Sussex County's population has declined by 5.7% since the 2010 census. This is the largest decline of New Jersey's 21 counties.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ge...y,US/PST120219

The enrollment in Sussex County's largest school district, Vernon, has shrunk 39% in 10 years.

Vernon to recognigure schools

Based on these facts, Sussex County has less people, not more. I'm afraid this trend looks like it will continue.

The crowds at Walmart are due to Walmart gaining market share from other retailers. Walmart's US comparable store sales spiked 9% in the May-July quarter. Walmarts are busier than ever everywhere including places losing population.

The number of section 8 units has risen from 190 in 2010 to 310 last year. These are tiny numbers.

The percentage of Hispanic and African American has risen, not because the overall population of these groups has changed much in Sussex County, but because the white population is shrinking rapidly.

Last edited by pretorius; 09-09-2020 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-09-2020, 10:32 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I have been visiting the area in recent months, even though I was familiar with the area some years ago. Is it me or have a lot of people moved into the county recently? I also see way more Hispanic/African-Americans than in the past. I am talking specifically of areas around Franklin, Newton, Sussex, Wantage, etc. Is it just me or has there been a change? I even remember that several years ago, I had visited the Walmart in Franklin several times within a period and never noticed so many crowds as there were last time I visited (couple of weeks ago the lines were long and I had never experienced that in Sussex County). Is there a lot of Section 8 now plus New Yorkers moving into the area? Just curious.
Sounds like the same trend in the Poconos.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:40 AM

910 posts, read 753,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
According the US Census Bureau, Sussex County's population has declined by 5.7% since the 2010 census. This is the largest decline of New Jersey's 21 counties.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ge...y,US/PST120219

The enrollment in Sussex County's largest school district, Vernon, has shrunk 39% in 10 years.

Vernon to recognigure schools

Based on these facts, Sussex County has less people, not more. I'm afraid this trend looks like it will continue.

The crowds at Walmart are due to Walmart gaining market share from other retailers. Walmart's US comparable store sales spiked 9% in the May-July quarter. Walmarts are busier than ever everywhere including places losing population.

The number of section 8 units has risen from 190 in 2010 to 310 last year. These are tiny numbers.

The percentage of Hispanic and African American has risen, not because the overall population of these groups has changed much in Sussex County, but because the white population is shrinking rapidly.

Interesting. The trends definitely seem to be changing compared to some years ago, but at the same time it makes sense that there is decline in population since Sussex Co doesn't really have any jobs and the few jobs available are already taken by established businesses/people, etc.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:43 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Surprised as I see the Poconos as an ideal place to live.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,540 times
Sure the long term trend has been population declining, but is this perhaps another rural, exurban place seeing a new influx of residents in recent months thanks to COVID?

Not sure if that’s what OP was getting at. Long term trends may have begun to reverse. Does anyone know if that is the case in Sussex County?

Old 09-09-2020, 01:09 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I’m sure the trend will reverse if WFH is here to stay. You have nice towns in that area with decent schools like Sparta, who previously had long commutes hindering their growth. This may no longer be the case...

Old 09-09-2020, 01:12 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Sussex real estate is pricier than the Poconos. Also, higher property taxes and better schools. Therefore, I think Sussex will hold up better compared to the Poconos. Maybe in the dumpier towns like Franklin you’ll see some decline.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
What makes you think that the people are section 8?

Old 09-09-2020, 03:52 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Surprised as I see the Poconos as an ideal place to live.
My niece is 42. My sister, her mother, moved to the Poconos when she was a little girl. She was in high school in Mt. Pocono when the gangs from the Bronx first started moving up there. When she started carrying a knife to school because she didn't feel safe, my sister sent her to Bergen County to live with my mother and go to school in her town. Kids feeling as if they need weapons to go to school might be ideal to you. We all have our opinions.

There are still nice areas of the Poconos, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey