Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Re: texas budget to GDP, I am using the ratio of Budget to GDP to show you that the state of NJ and the state of Texas spend proportionally to their productivity. You want to make the claim that NJ taxes everything that moves, but NJ's tax load on its productivity is literally equivalent to Texas's. Texas just gets a firm tailwind push from the federal government while NJ gets a firm headwind.
im curious about this point. where are we getting numbers on taxes and productivity to see that the taxes are proportionate to productivity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 10:54 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
Floods in Texas are very recurrent and it destroys the roads which in many cases they need to be rebuild.
The fact remains that the depth/thickness of the road construction materials in the northerly states is greater than that in the "warm" states, and as a result, roads are cheaper to construct in Texas and other places in the South and Southwest. If frequent floods are damaging their roads, perhaps Texas needs to begin building their roads to the same standard that is used in colder climes.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:57 AM

275 posts, read 213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
You are absolutely wrong about Truck - car = less volume, less damage trope. It is WRONG. You are repeating and spreading falsehoods. One truck does the damage of 10,000 cars: https://www.gao.gov/products/109954

Again, road degradation and the need for road repairs isn't going to have meaningfully changed because cars stopped driving. Why? Because trucks kept driving and trucks cause the majority of damage anyway. Add in frost cycles and you have virtually the same road degradation as you had before. Cars have no bearing on this.

Your general point about the cost of road construction/maintenance in Texas vs NJ was wrong. Texas's conditions are wildly less hostile to road conditions than NJ's. Very few states in the country deal with NJ's road conditions.

Please cite any source that tells us that NJ gets income tax revenue from NJ residents paying to NYS.

If all you hear from Murphy is taxes, you aren't paying attention or you exist in an echo chamber.

Re: texas budget to GDP, I am using the ratio of Budget to GDP to show you that the state of NJ and the state of Texas spend proportionally to their productivity. You want to make the claim that NJ taxes everything that moves, but NJ's tax load on its productivity is literally equivalent to Texas's. Texas just gets a firm tailwind push from the federal government while NJ gets a firm headwind.

Lastly, I have no idea what you're trying to say about the balance of payments deficit with the federal government. It isn't a hardliner problem - NJ has had Republicans in its federal delegation and has elected several Republican governors. We're still getting stiffed on federal funding. Federal government is still taking money out of the state, and we're still losing the productivity.

It is not wrong! But you're dismissing the ability for economic efficiencies. And again, road degradation is only part and not the whole thing which you completely continue to dismiss because it goes against, as you said to me, your system of belief. As I mentioned before, there are fixed costs like insurance, rent, salaries than can not be tied to a volume of output and what have you, and will not change. But, then there is a myriad of variable costs that you can completely reduce and find savings. And although the State functions with the assistance of private contractors for most of its projects, the ripple effect of pricing cascades downward.

Your assumption that Texas road maintenance is lesser, or wrong indicates that you have no clue of the complexities of the InterState 35 and Loop 353, just to mention one, and the inherent costs which adds the bridges, underpasses, check points, and distributors. The Massive amount of traffic of all kinds that bottlenecks in Laredo will make traffic from New Jersey to New York and back look like a walk in the park. The entire Maquiladora and Industrial complex from Mexico in Coahuila and Nuevo Leon can't compare to anything you have ever seen before. And these costs are not shared with Mexico. The amounts of traffic from Texas and its peripheral States and Mexico is very small to anything NJ has.

Is not that what I hear is from Murphy is all taxes. Is that this Administration is publicly saying it while they continue to kick the can down the road. Treasury Depts from All States exchange information in current trends and processes and legal pronouncements (Accounting or Legal). An example of that is when about two years ago, we had the South Dakota vs Wayfair SCOTUS ruling. For those entities without any Nexus, it triggered a filing in a State where economic thresholds were not material or did not apply. Now is allowing to Simplify the Taxes collected on sales online. That's a boat load of money that New Jersey receives now that did not receive before. During that time, people working for the Treasury Dept of all States worked together to see what options and what other States were doing better to mimic such plan. New Jersey does engage in these types of mutual cooperation, but only does it when they can get revenue out of it like in the case above.

Unfortunately for us, both parties are guilty as charged, and I'm trying to understand if the current state of our Finances is the result of a collective complacency or the lack of knowledge from constituents. But I can;t help to notice that Murphy is not willing to compromise. Murphy just like Gavin Newsom are taxing galore without any regard. My primary and sole point is that when I look at the P&L from the State of Texas just to name one, and then I look at how their citizens get taxed (or not), then I do not care how that Government got there. They are obviously doing something well.....and we are not.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
perhaps Texas needs to begin building their roads to the same standard that is used in colder climes.

I hope you take notice of this sentence. You can't build roads to the same standards as colder regions as the inherent natural events impacting the quality and endurance of the roads are different. And please, ROADS, are not the only things that need repair.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
And please, ROADS, are not the only things that need repair.
Yes, but the likelihood of Texans repairing their state government is nil.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the likelihood of Texans repairing their state government is nil.
Hahahahahaha.....Touché

Old 09-14-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Hahahahahaha.....Touché
In case you were wondering about my statement, take a look at this article from 2015, concerning integrity in Texas's state government. It is possible that things might have improved a bit, now that Moron Rick Perry has been kicked upstairs to a Cabinet position in D.C., but I haven't been able to find an updated study.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/11...investigation/

NJ ranked 19th in that study (surely not great by any means), but certainly better than 39th place Texas.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:19 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
In case you were wondering about my statement, take a look at this article from 2015, concerning integrity in Texas's state government. It is possible that things might have improved a bit, now that Moron Rick Perry has been kicked upstairs to a Cabinet position in D.C., but I haven't been able to find an updated study.

I forgot about him, lol. He makes George W look like a Rhodes scholar.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Yeah! This guy was a piece of work. I wasn't born yesterday to understand that the Left-Right is very close to watching a WWF match. Texas has decided to capitalize on the exodus from California, among other things, so things have improved a bit because there. I go to that State a lot as work sends me across the U.S. border with Mexico. Not everything is peachy, but people don't have to worry about getting a tax hike like the 34% increase in property taxes that the city of Nashville passed recently, a Democratic run city in a Republican State. I'm afraid we are going to see major hikes.........the problem is that we are over burden.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah! This guy was a piece of work.
Luckily, that "piece of work" is no longer the US Energy Secretary, in which position he oversaw the storage and maintenance of our nuclear arsenal. What kind of person would put a moron like Perry in such a position?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey