Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 09:34 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Zinc and vitamin C may shorten the duration of a cold. They have not been shown to be able to prevent. So it's untrue that there is 'no evidence' they do any good, but they're not a substitute for getting exercise, rest, and eating a healthy diet. Half a point to each of you, lol.

Brent A. Bauer, MD

Similar articles from the medical community available for vitamin C.
The evidence is unconvincing. It’s suggestive, but insufficient to bring my level of confidence high enough to accept zinc or C as an effective preventive. If it becomes more definitive at some point, I would revisit. But for now I’d just endure an infrequent cold and not spend $20 on Coldeze or other such nonsense preparations. Your better off getting sufficient C and Zinc daily from foods such as steaks and salads and whole grains, etc. Plus making sure to get adequate sleep, especially during the winter months. If you still get a cold? Endure it. That’s life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 10:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 3,529,717 times
I know this is antidotal, but I have been taking vitamin c for over 30 years. When I first get the sign of a cold it's usually a sore throat, I double my dose of vitamin c in the morning and at night. In my experience it has always sped up my recovery. So I am a firm believer in vitamin c. Also I have lots of salty soups when I'm not feeling well. I thought everybody did this. I thought this was common practice but then I hear of so many people who don't even know how to take care of themselves when they have a cold.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i am of the belief that vitamin supplements dont work. i will take them since they are inexpensive and may help but i dont think they do anything. im presently taking vitamin c, vitamin d3 and b12. i had some back issues recently and i was desperate. my wife bought me "Move free" which i finished the bottle but dont think it does anything.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:59 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
If supplements don't work, don't tell the makers of Vascepa & Lovazaa, which are basically prescription strength fish oil.
Ditto for statins, which are based on red yeast rice extract.
There are more examples, but that should suffice.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:34 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
I do absolutely nothing when I have a cold. As far as I know there's no cure for it and the symptoms are never severe enough that I feel I need to drug myself when it will just pass on its own within a few days.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:37 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am of the belief that vitamin supplements dont work. i will take them since they are inexpensive and may help but i dont think they do anything. im presently taking vitamin c, vitamin d3 and b12. i had some back issues recently and i was desperate. my wife bought me "Move free" which i finished the bottle but dont think it does anything.

You should've reached for those special gummies for that back pain

Old 12-07-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
If supplements don't work, don't tell the makers of Vascepa & Lovazaa, which are basically prescription strength fish oil.
Ditto for statins, which are based on red yeast rice extract.
There are more examples, but that should suffice.
There is a difference between a pharmaceutical backed by research that is proven to have a positive effect in dealing with a specific heath issue, and the general supplements people take based on emotion and hope. You don’t need fish oil supplements. Just put fish prominently in your diet. Absorption of nutrients is proven to be much better when achieved through actual food rather than supplements which are usually poorly absorbed. It only makes sense. Evolution built us the way we are based on our feeding behavior. Food is the correct vehicle for introduction and absorption of nutrients. Supplements are useful once in a blue moon in the special case of a deficiency. Otherwise, you are throwing money away and misdirecting focus.

While possibly useful in people with demonstrated deficiencies, which is very few people indeed in the United States, the vast majority of supplements, including fish oil, have little or no solid evidence demonstrating a health benefit.

The reality is that supplements do nothing for most people, aside from providing a low-effort emotional satisfaction that one is doing something positive to promote their own health. The real things that work, like a balanced diet, frequent vigorous exercise, and avoiding alcohol, pot, cigarettes, etc., are way too high effort for most people who are too “busy” to bother with it.

Spending $40 on fish oil and popping a pill is much easier, and although most likely a useless placebo, it’s “better than nothing”. Which it really isn’t, but feelings trump facts. In politics AND nutrition. And so many other things!

Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I do absolutely nothing when I have a cold. As far as I know there's no cure for it and the symptoms are never severe enough that I feel I need to drug myself when it will just pass on its own within a few days.
You are correctly processing reality. I treat colds with sleep and movies.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:14 PM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times
12/7/20

New Cases - 3,573 (much lower compared to yesterday)
Positivity Rate - 10.2 %
Rt of Transmission - 1.05
Total Hospitalizations - 3,346
New Deaths - 17
(The Governor was optimistic that we will be in a far better place in just a few months)

Old 12-07-2020, 12:23 PM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I know this is antidotal, but I have been taking vitamin c for over 30 years. When I first get the sign of a cold it's usually a sore throat, I double my dose of vitamin c in the morning and at night. In my experience it has always sped up my recovery. So I am a firm believer in vitamin c. Also I have lots of salty soups when I'm not feeling well. I thought everybody did this. I thought this was common practice but then I hear of so many people who don't even know how to take care of themselves when they have a cold.
Thanks for posting, which supports my earlier statements. It works for me too! I find it funny how people on here who are not even doctors try telling me what doesn't work for me! Only I know what works best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey