U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,230 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I are relocating us to New Jersey and we were hoping to have some guidance on areas to consider to buy a house. We currently live in Puerto Rico and the cost of living, real estate and property tax in Central New Jersey is so high compared to PR. For us it’s scary to say the least.

We just turned 40 this year and we don’t have kids so a good school isn’t in our must have list. We would like to have a commute no longer than 40 mins radius from New Brunswick since that’s where my husband will be working.

We are a low key couple so we mostly enjoy eating out, movies, and some ocasional happy hour or night out (boring, I know!) so in terms of neighborhood, there’s no specific requirement other than it being safe and friendly.

Our range would probably be around 450k-500k and we would like the house to be as updated as possible.

Also, I’ve been told to also consider PA since it’s much lower cost of living but seems it’s far from New Brunswick. Thoughts?

I appreciate any advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 5,366 times
PA is a little far from new Brunswick, so it'll be over 40 minutes.

Generally, anything south of New Brunswick will be slightly less expensive, and still be in a good area. For that price range you should find a decent house - just watch for the property taxes, you could be paying $12,000 a year with a house in that range, depending on where you live.

Towns like, Old Bridge, Monroe, Manalapan, Marlboro, Sayreville are south of New Brunswick and good area.

North of New Brunswick you can consider Bridgewater or Somerville.

My choice is one of the towns south, since taxes will be lower.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,596,056 times
Rule of thumb is rent for a year to get to know the area.

I wouldn't be jumping into buying a house in NJ.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydonia8388 View Post
PA is a little far from new Brunswick, so it'll be over 40 minutes.

Generally, anything south of New Brunswick will be slightly less expensive, and still be in a good area. For that price range you should find a decent house - just watch for the property taxes, you could be paying $12,000 a year with a house in that range, depending on where you live.

Towns like, Old Bridge, Monroe, Manalapan, Marlboro, Sayreville are south of New Brunswick and good area.

North of New Brunswick you can consider Bridgewater or Somerville.

My choice is one of the towns south, since taxes will be lower.
Thank you so much! I will definitely look in to your suggestions.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Rule of thumb is rent for a year to get to know the area.

I wouldn't be jumping into buying a house in NJ.

Yeah, that would be best but his employer will either provide assistance for home purchase covering closing costs and other benefits with it or rent for a year. For us we would prefer have the first. We could always rent for the first year but unless employer provide an extension, we could lose the benefit.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:50 PM

16,023 posts, read 24,576,567 times
We lived in Yardley PA and hubby commuted to New Brunswick. It wasn’t too bad, just under an hour. Newer houses, great prices and low taxes.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:27 PM

648 posts, read 1,664,391 times
If you ride the train, you can live in towns along the northeast corridor. To the south, the trains stops at Jersey Avenue (I don't know much about that area) , Princeton (expensive), Hamilton (affordable) and Trenton (perhaps less safe). From Hamilton, the train ride is pretty short, maybe 20 something minutes. But 450-500 is too expensive for Hamilton, unless you want a very big house. Property taxes are high everywhere.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,596,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie80 View Post
Yeah, that would be best but his employer will either provide assistance for home purchase covering closing costs and other benefits with it or rent for a year. For us we would prefer have the first. We could always rent for the first year but unless employer provide an extension, we could lose the benefit.

That is too bad.
Some employers give the employee a lump sum and let the employee decide how to use that money.

If your husband will be working near the New Brunswick train station then living along the NE Corridor train line may work.

If you live in Pennsylvania and work in NJ, PA and NJ have an agreement with regards to state income tax. https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

Property taxes in PA are generally lower than NJ but it isn't that low. $10K vs $8K.

Somebody mentioned Yardley. I would not want to make that commute on Route 1. Ugh!

While you do not have kids and schools are not important to you, schools are important when you have to sell your house.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,645,503 times
Wepa! Welcome to NJ!

I would recommend you look in all the Brunswicks except “New”. East Brunswick, South Brunswick and North Brunswick (in that order, school district wise). I agree with the poster that said to keep schools in mind for resale value.
All are great towns, would be a great commute for your husband and also be close to the restaurants in New Brunswick, my FAVORITE urban town in NJ personally. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey