Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Kearny. It was mostly white back then except for Boystown. My neighbors were Jewish, Irish, Scotch, German, English, Lithuanian, Polish, and Italian. My neighborhood was mostly Catholic and Jewish with a few protestants scattered around. I never thought about there being a lack of POC until high school. High school in the 60s, there were some Boystown kids in school, but I never got to know any. It bothered me. It always bothered me. Then there were the riots in Newark just before I went off to college in another state. I heard about the issues when I got home - Kearny was called "lily white Kearny" and the realtors were taken to court for that. I got married, had a child, and then moved to RI but with both sets of grandparents still in Kearny, there were many trips back. We had Fish & Chips places open on Friday and Saturday only.

I watched the Kearny Meadows being developed - called them row houses, down the hill from Schuyler Ave extending down Midland. My MIL complained that most of the customers in her bank did not speak English; there was now a Spanish mass on Sunday morning, there had always been a church with masses in Lithuanian, so no big deal. The Polish butcher closed, then the Scottish bakery. People moved out, others moved in. My family moved out, my in-laws retired to Florida. Kearny High was added onto - not sure where/how but that's what I heard from friends still in town.

It's been 50 years since I moved out, and it's different, but from what I've seen and what I hear from friends who still live there, it's the same Kearny I grew up in - just a different mix of heritages, although the only synagogue is no longer there and my church is closed. Kearny High School pool was taken out, I suppose there is no more swim team but I don't really know.

We are not the same people who graduated from KHS back 50 years ago, so why would the town be the same? Harrison is different, NA is different. Sudden change? Nah, it's been 50+ years in the making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 04:13 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I grew up in Kearny. It was mostly white back then except for Boystown. My neighbors were Jewish, Irish, Scotch, German, English, Lithuanian, Polish, and Italian. My neighborhood was mostly Catholic and Jewish with a few protestants scattered around. I never thought about there being a lack of POC until high school. High school in the 60s, there were some Boystown kids in school, but I never got to know any. It bothered me. It always bothered me. Then there were the riots in Newark just before I went off to college in another state. I heard about the issues when I got home - Kearny was called "lily white Kearny" and the realtors were taken to court for that. I got married, had a child, and then moved to RI but with both sets of grandparents still in Kearny, there were many trips back. We had Fish & Chips places open on Friday and Saturday only.

I watched the Kearny Meadows being developed - called them row houses, down the hill from Schuyler Ave extending down Midland. My MIL complained that most of the customers in her bank did not speak English; there was now a Spanish mass on Sunday morning, there had always been a church with masses in Lithuanian, so no big deal. The Polish butcher closed, then the Scottish bakery. People moved out, others moved in. My family moved out, my in-laws retired to Florida. Kearny High was added onto - not sure where/how but that's what I heard from friends still in town.

It's been 50 years since I moved out, and it's different, but from what I've seen and what I hear from friends who still live there, it's the same Kearny I grew up in - just a different mix of heritages, although the only synagogue is no longer there and my church is closed. Kearny High School pool was taken out, I suppose there is no more swim team but I don't really know.

We are not the same people who graduated from KHS back 50 years ago, so why would the town be the same? Harrison is different, NA is different. Sudden change? Nah, it's been 50+ years in the making.
I hear Kearny had a large Scottish population.

There's a few left still.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:27 AM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Latest social justice rules declare any white men, racist. So if you see a white man walking down the street in Kearny, you must now assume he is racist and unless "WOKE", unrepentant.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:11 PM

256 posts, read 452,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
no. Kearney is not racist. They have a large hispanic, brazilian population last time I was there.
It's very possible to be Hispanic, Brazilian, and racist.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:15 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Bottom line is everyone is the same, racist and not racist, its all B.S.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,862 times
No it is not a racist area. to assume that would be your innate racism which you are projecting

this woke nonsense needs to end

Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 PM

103 posts, read 211,178 times
Years ago I was dating a Irishman who was only in the states working on a cancer research trial with Hoffman-LaRoche. He had a very clear Irish accent. Couldn’t miss it. We were in Kearny to meet up with friends. Walked into a pub that was owned by a Scottish family. Thistles were all over the decor. (Most distinct thing about the place). When my boyfriend went to order drinks at the bar he came back rather briskly and said “Come on let’s go”. I was baffled as to why? The bartender said “we don’t serve Irish in here”. Umm EXCUSE ME?! What are you saying?! It was the weirdest most insane moment. The bar wasn’t very full. Everyone was quiet. Kind of avoiding looking. As if it was kind of a known thing? I was so furious I was ready to brawl (now granted I’m a scrawny short little thing.) But MY Irish was up. My grandparents on both sides still live in Ireland. My grandfather on my father’s side is from Argyle in Scotland. I have an Irish passport. I don’t recall ever hearing a Scotsman have anything against Irish people. My boyfriend wasn’t particularly upset. He just didn’t want to create an issue. Where I was ready to throw down! I could not believe it. I still can’t. Especially in a town like Kearny with its Scotch-Irish heritage.

I don’t think a town can be racist. People can be. I certainly experienced a moment of prejudice and utter stupidity. I’m still mad about it.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Caucasian Kearneyans coordinated a racial Exodus to go gentrify the next town. It's a repeating cycle to oppress BIPOC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
no. Kearney is not racist. They have a large hispanic, brazilian population last time I was there.
Kearney is in Nebraska.

Kearny is in NJ.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:34 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Kearney is in Nebraska.
Kearny is in NJ.
A couple of years ago, someone posted his "expert" opinions regarding "Patterson", NJ, and he claimed to have lived there for several years. He allegedly lived there for several years, but was unable to spell the name of the city?
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey