Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 645 times

Advertisements

I live in Beach Haven West, Stafford Township where the installation of permanent gas generators are not regulated. The zoning department treats then the same as air conditioning units and require no set back, etc. The houses are very close together as the property dimensions are measured in Feet. My lot is 50 x 80 and the main entrance to my home is located on the side of my property. Most houses are elevated since Sandy in 2012, including my home. My neighbor installed a Kohler whole house generator on a platform that stands 3 inches from my property and within 3 feet of my steps and main entrance to my home. This occurred while I was away and did not see the unit until it was already installed. I have identified the issue from the moment that I saw the machine when returning home from a trip. The unit requires a distance of 18 inches for safety and fire purposes. This 18 inches currently includes a portion of my property. I have also been informed by the DOC and the township lawyer that if I put anything on my own property that is within the 18 inch clearance, I will be in violation. This is trespass. I cannot find any township or state level official who will enforce this trespass violation. I have contacted the department of community affairs, my local zoning officials, the township engineer and the police. Can someone recommend a state and/or local official who can help with this matter? The police have already been involved as the unit runs above the allowable decibel level when it exercises weekly. For now, the unit can only run when there is an official NJ state of emergency declared. I am continuing to pursue a case legally but would like to find a government official who will actually help with a situation that should have never been allowed to occur in the first place. In August when a state of emergency was declared, the homeowner turned the machine on. My home immediately filled up with exhaust and the sound was unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,913 times
Lawyer up

Old 12-30-2020, 10:28 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Agree with the previous poster. If township officials aren't being helpful, you will have to get a lawyer to get relief. Definitely go with a lawyer who works in the area of real estate law. Sorry you are dealing with this. We have a Generac and it is loud when it is running, but our next door neighbor is some distance from our house. Also, our town did have regulations about where the unit could be placed, especially regarding any doors or windows. Sounds like your neighbor's unit would never have been OK'd in my town.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:29 PM

28 posts, read 24,258 times
"I cannot find any township or state level official who will enforce this trespass violation."

This is not a state issue so forget them. With that said, what about the inspector who signed off on this??
That's assuming your neighbors got a permit in the first place. If no luck there, I would sue the town, that should get their attention.

If all else fails, since part of the generator is on your property, is there a way you can disable it?? If it's on your property it's fair game, no?? That's how i would handle it but I'm not like most people.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:52 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
^^^It's not on his property.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:39 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Frances View Post
I live in Beach Haven West, Stafford Township where the installation of permanent gas generators are not regulated. The zoning department treats then the same as air conditioning units and require no set back, etc. The houses are very close together as the property dimensions are measured in Feet. My lot is 50 x 80 and the main entrance to my home is located on the side of my property. Most houses are elevated since Sandy in 2012, including my home. My neighbor installed a Kohler whole house generator on a platform that stands 3 inches from my property and within 3 feet of my steps and main entrance to my home. This occurred while I was away and did not see the unit until it was already installed. I have identified the issue from the moment that I saw the machine when returning home from a trip. The unit requires a distance of 18 inches for safety and fire purposes. This 18 inches currently includes a portion of my property. I have also been informed by the DOC and the township lawyer that if I put anything on my own property that is within the 18 inch clearance, I will be in violation. This is trespass. I cannot find any township or state level official who will enforce this trespass violation. I have contacted the department of community affairs, my local zoning officials, the township engineer and the police. Can someone recommend a state and/or local official who can help with this matter? The police have already been involved as the unit runs above the allowable decibel level when it exercises weekly. For now, the unit can only run when there is an official NJ state of emergency declared. I am continuing to pursue a case legally but would like to find a government official who will actually help with a situation that should have never been allowed to occur in the first place. In August when a state of emergency was declared, the homeowner turned the machine on. My home immediately filled up with exhaust and the sound was unbearable.
Kohler requires that their generators be at least 5 feet from any opening (windows, doors etc.). Speak to the plumbing and electrical inspectors.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:41 AM

648 posts, read 432,073 times
What do you mean by "gas" generator? What kind of gas?

Old 12-31-2020, 04:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
when the power went out in our area in early august there were many people who had exhaust enter their home and set off carbon monoxide detectors. if its close enough to get exhaust in your home, that is a very unsafe situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: