Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 07:27 AM

82 posts, read 79,622 times

Advertisements

Has anybody been the victim of this and what did you do to resolve it?

From what I can remember, a company misrepresenting themselves as PSEG (or being affiliated with PSEG) came to my door and basically LIED and said that my bill would go down by a few dollars per month after showing them my bill and doing a few other seemingly innocent things. They made it seem like it was just a normal upgrade.

Fast forward several weeks later: This morning, I was analyzing my bill and saw a "Third Party Electric Supply Charge" and my bill doubled! I searched up the company and I found many bad reviews about how they were ripped off in a similar manner too.

Looking back, I know that I was dumb for trusting them so please don't judge me as I already feel extremely stupid. However, the way they represented themselves was just so believable. The young girl was so charismatic (without appearing sketchy) so I can honestly see many other competent people falling for it too if they had their guard down. I'm normally very vigilant of stuff like this and they managed to fool me so i'm very disappointed in myself.

LESSON LEARNED: Never ever ever answer the door for those who you don't know.

Last edited by OceanDude; 09-20-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 07:33 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post

From what I can remember, a company misrepresenting themselves as PSEG (or being affiliated with PSEG) came to my door and basically LIED and said that my bill would go down by a few dollars after showing them my bill and doing a few other things for them to apply a change. They made it seem like it was just a normal upgrade.

Fast forward several weeks later: This morning, I woke up with an alert from PSEG NJ about a "Third Party Electric Supply Charge" and my bill was almost $100 more for the month. I searched up the company and I found many bad reviews about how they were ripped off too.

Looking back, I know that I was dumb for trusting them so please don't judge me. However, the way they represented themselves was just so believable and I can honestly see many competent people falling for it too.
I would think you need to switch your supplier back to PSEG. Not sure if PSEG can do that for you or if you have to go through the company. But you’re probably stuck with this month’s bill. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2020, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
Quote:

From what I can remember, a company misrepresenting themselves as PSEG (or being affiliated with PSEG) came to my door and basically LIED and said that my bill would go down by a few dollars per month after showing them my bill and doing a few other seemingly innocent things. They made it seem like it was just a normal upgrade.

Fast forward several weeks later: This morning, I was analyzing my bill and saw a "Third Party Electric Supply Charge" and my bill doubled! I searched up the company and I found many bad reviews about how they were ripped off in a similar manner too.

Looking back, I know that I was dumb for trusting them so please don't judge me as I already feel extremely stupid. However, the way they represented themselves was just so believable. The young girl was so charismatic (without appearing sketchy) so I can honestly see many other competent people falling for it too if they had their guard down. I'm normally very vigilant of stuff like this and they managed to fool me so i'm very disappointed in myself.

Ok first of all, I used 2 go door to door to fundraise for the humane society of the united states and we were super legit and you could call the main humane society number on the website 2 confirm as well as the local cops and people still didnt rbelieve us. It was SO ANNOYING. Also you cant call something a "scam" if it is a legit company and they arent doing anything illegal. Did you ever call and ask them why your bill was higher? Therr are times and circumstances when it may go up for some people some of the time but usually saves people money. Those things happen. Its not their fault for coming to your door, its your fault for not doing due diligence and asking what happens if my bill goes up? Can I cancel it and get money back if that happens? See you have 2 make sure theres a way to call and complain, a way to cancel, a way to make sure you have recourse if anything goes wrong. Dont just write off anyone at your door cuz of some 3rd party pseg people. if every1 did that then we wouldnt have been able to accomplish a lot of amazing things for people and animals (yes the HSUS also moniters giant beef companies that sometimes have scandals and send out contaminated meat and stuff so, youre welcome). We actually ran into some of the people youre talking about and not 1 of them claimed to be working for pseg. They make it clear they are a 3rd party so maybe u got a new person who had some stuff wrong. They only give u a week of training for a few hrs a day and send you out. You're not going to be an expert your first couple months out there and maybe they misheard somethinf their manager said and that's why you were confused. People are human and these jobs dont have like extensive month long training. These jobs pay pretty well and u dont need any schooling or experience so they are great for people like me who need 2 survive but can't find a decent paying job and eventho its the hardest job ive ever done in my life, people like me will auffer through cuz we need to put food on the table. We r out there in literally snow or 110 degree weather on our feet for 7 hrs a day talking 2 many people who curse us out or threaten us or waste hrs of our time with no intention of donating or even signing a petition. I had a drunk guy chase me and all I was doing was trying to save poor puppies from being horribly abused! I cant imagine how much more **** this poor girl had 2 deal with not being from a charity.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:43 PM

378 posts, read 586,686 times
I’m a fan of HSUS, but I would never entertain you at my front door. It would be slammed in your face before you could get the first sentence out, if it was even opened at all.

People do not want to be solicited at their home. Period. In some towns, it’s even illegal without a permit.

Amazing first post by the way. All one paragraph.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:06 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
I’m a fan of HSUS, but I would never entertain you at my front door. It would be slammed in your face before you could get the first sentence out, if it was even opened at all.

People do not want to be solicited at their home. Period. In some towns, it’s even illegal without a permit.

Amazing first post by the way. All one paragraph.

i agree, I NEVER TALK TO ANYONE THAT COMES TO MY DOOR

Old 09-21-2020, 12:52 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:

We always used to get phone calls on our house phone saying, "Your current electricity bill" and then it told us that we qualify for a discount. They used to call every day. It's all scams.

Get an Eufy Security doorbell, because it has scared people away from my house. Well, I can't really prove that, because this was a few months after my town passed the No Knock policy. Also, do what my grandfather does by parking your car in the garage so people don't know you're home and to protect your car from wildfire ashes.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
First post aside, its true you cant call it a scam if its a legitimate company you signed up services with and you arent happy with the services. A few years ago NJ opened up the ability for people to get their energy from 3rd party services. It was a law change and we were all supposed to be excited because PSEG didnt get to have a monopoly on our energy and we could save money. Over the years I have talked to and even signed up with a 2 different 3rd party suppliers and both times it was more expensive than PSEG.

But its not a scam, people wanted the ability to save money. Just because it didnt work out for you doesnt mean its not useful to some people

Old 09-21-2020, 05:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
First post aside, its true you cant call it a scam if its a legitimate company you signed up services with and you arent happy with the services. A few years ago NJ opened up the ability for people to get their energy from 3rd party services. It was a law change and we were all supposed to be excited because PSEG didnt get to have a monopoly on our energy and we could save money. Over the years I have talked to and even signed up with a 2 different 3rd party suppliers and both times it was more expensive than PSEG.

But its not a scam, people wanted the ability to save money. Just because it didnt work out for you doesnt mean its not useful to some people

I call it a scam if a salesperson knowingly secures my business offering a lower price than they can actually deliver. The vast majority of these 3rd party energy suppliers are bait and switch scams.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:35 AM

19,121 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Get an Eufy Security doorbell, because it has scared people away from my house.
A couple of years ago, I installed the Panasonic Home Hawk surveillance system on all sides of my house. The unit at the front door loudly announces "area under surveillance" when someone steps onto my porch. By using the Panasonic app on my smartphone, I can view whoever is at the door, and if I wish to speak to them, I can do it via that phone app.

Most of the solicitors leave shortly after getting no response, but some do stay long enough to state their business. When I reply, "not interested", they leave. However, I retain the video of these visitors for at least a few weeks, just in case the local gendarmes come around to follow-up on suspicious characters in the neighborhood. If the cops haven't shown any interest in door-to-door canvassers for a few weeks, then I delete the video.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:25 PM

82 posts, read 79,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise384 View Post
Ok first of all, I used 2 go door to door to fundraise for the humane society of the united states and we were super legit and you could call the main humane society number on the website 2 confirm as well as the local cops and people still didnt rbelieve us. It was SO ANNOYING. Also you cant call something a "scam" if it is a legit company and they arent doing anything illegal. Did you ever call and ask them why your bill was higher? Therr are times and circumstances when it may go up for some people some of the time but usually saves people money. Those things happen. Its not their fault for coming to your door, its your fault for not doing due diligence and asking what happens if my bill goes up? Can I cancel it and get money back if that happens? See you have 2 make sure theres a way to call and complain, a way to cancel, a way to make sure you have recourse if anything goes wrong. Dont just write off anyone at your door cuz of some 3rd party pseg people. if every1 did that then we wouldnt have been able to accomplish a lot of amazing things for people and animals (yes the HSUS also moniters giant beef companies that sometimes have scandals and send out contaminated meat and stuff so, youre welcome). We actually ran into some of the people youre talking about and not 1 of them claimed to be working for pseg. They make it clear they are a 3rd party so maybe u got a new person who had some stuff wrong. They only give u a week of training for a few hrs a day and send you out. You're not going to be an expert your first couple months out there and maybe they misheard somethinf their manager said and that's why you were confused. People are human and these jobs dont have like extensive month long training. These jobs pay pretty well and u dont need any schooling or experience so they are great for people like me who need 2 survive but can't find a decent paying job and eventho its the hardest job ive ever done in my life, people like me will auffer through cuz we need to put food on the table. We r out there in literally snow or 110 degree weather on our feet for 7 hrs a day talking 2 many people who curse us out or threaten us or waste hrs of our time with no intention of donating or even signing a petition. I had a drunk guy chase me and all I was doing was trying to save poor puppies from being horribly abused! I cant imagine how much more **** this poor girl had 2 deal with not being from a charity.
True, not all door-to-door salespeople are bad and I do take partial-responsibility for being so naive.

I guess it's people like these companies that help give them a bad rep. In my opinion, nobody needs to be going door-to-door anyways. Not only is it unsafe but most people find it bothersome. I just think that there are better sales strategies; especially in the time of social media where you can more efficiently find the target demographics for whatever product or service you're selling.

But I know for sure that my door is staying shut going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey