Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:42 PM

491 posts, read 368,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Wesmont Station have many rentals as well as town-home and are walk-able to the train station which connects to Hoboken. Since you don't care about school, you would have a nice mix of sub-division and all its amenities as well as public transport. Theer are other towns with great connectivity to Hoboken, check NJ transit map for Morris Essex and Montclair Boonton line. Bergen county have many option (Fairlawn being one).

If he is okay with driving, West Orange is a good choice.. but is super hot because of all the Manhattan people trying to buy there. If apartment/duplex are fine, then Jersey City gold coast or any nice area around the NJ transit Light railway is also a great option for the absolute stress free commute.
West orange is not a good choice. No one should ever pay 5% property tax, and in no rational way is West Orange worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:02 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I commuted from Morristown to Jersey City for 3 years and it wasnt that awful. Theres a few points of congestion and the worst part is being in Jersey City itself but you figure out the traffic flows. I know several people who do this commute both directions.
Yeah, I drove from Monmouth County to Jersey City regularly for a while after Sandy took out the train bridge over the Raritan and on many other occasions as well (worked near Exchange Place for three years, plus have had other business reasons to drive to JC since then) so I'm familiar with what it's like, and while I can drive it just fine and likely will again, I just don't see that being a great solution for a poster who is looking for a relaxing 30-minute commute for his father with a heart condition.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM

156 posts, read 165,573 times
They should find a short term rental and get a feel of the area.
This is a extremely congested, polluted area.
Commute to Jersey City is not fun from any suburb that I know of.
I would rule out driving knowing he has a heart condition.
Although not a suburb Hoboken is a place to consider.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:08 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
If he is up for driving, edgewater is close in mileage and has many empty nesters. It’s a straight shot down river rd. Traffic is horrible during rush hour but they could aim for south end of edgewater.
Fort lee is another town filled with empty nesters but is a bit further north.
There may be a bus/ light rail option but I can’t speak to that.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:48 PM

But if they live somewhere like Rutherford, a nice 'burb, he could take the NJT train to Hoboken, which is only about 20 minutes, and from there switch to either PATH to go to Newport or Exchange Place, or catch the Light Rail if that works better. That's why I was trying to figure out where he was working. That is not a bad commute, and they get to live in a nice area.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
If he is up for driving, edgewater is close in mileage and has many empty nesters. It’s a straight shot down river rd. Traffic is horrible during rush hour but they could aim for south end of edgewater.
Fort lee is another town filled with empty nesters but is a bit further north.
There may be a bus/ light rail option but I can’t speak to that.
Light rail does go up River Road. I THINK it's to Edgewater, but might be Weehawken. I took it once or twice.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:00 PM

51 posts, read 46,025 times
OP, sorry if I missed this, but are they looking to rent or buy? What’s the budget? That makes a massive different. Someone said Rutherford. That’s a great idea, but it’s a bit pricy. Clifton May have some cheaper yet appealing options like Cambridge Crossings. Secaucus May be good for a townhome. Teaneck would be also good. A lot of variables to consider. The commute into the Newport is going to be a b*7ch I do that and it gets boring. Used to do it from Totowa and it was way worse... Denville is a no go

Old 09-23-2020, 07:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Rutherford is a good option to avoid driving to downtown JC. NJ Transit to Hoboken and PATH transfer to JC would work out well. Driving is reasonable as well. Same goes for Lyndhurst, but Rutherford is better. Other options which would be driving only are North Arlington and Weehawken.

With rush hour traffic, it may take a little more than 30 minutes. There really is no way around that.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Rutherford is a good option to avoid driving to downtown JC. NJ Transit to Hoboken and PATH transfer to JC would work out well. Driving is reasonable as well. Same goes for Lyndhurst, but Rutherford is better. Other options which would be driving only are North Arlington and Weehawken.

With rush hour traffic, it may take a little more than 30 minutes. There really is no way around that.
OP didn't give a budget and in fact, hasn't returned to give more information.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:07 AM

276 posts, read 282,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifan757 View Post
I think by the waterfront??? Like right across from New York and Madison Square Park.
Both Adult sons and Daughter In Law work in NYC..One lives in Hoboken and the other married son with wife lives in Jersey City on the waterfront.
Both areas are very high rent districts..expensive, but cannot beat commuting to NYC(if life ever gets back to normal)
If your parents choose either town, they can't go wrong if he is working on the waterfront in Jersey City!
Good luck to them..have them hook up with a realtor who really knows the area.
Don't choose an out of town realtor. Choose someone in either Hoboken or Jersey City if they decide to rent or purchase.
My advice is the same to everyone relocating to a new area.
RENT for at least a year to ensure that firstly, the job is stable, and secondly, you like living in the area.
You are familiar with Morris Plains.. There is so much traffic around Jersey City now.
Why would they want to live in a suburb if he can have the convenience of living in either Hoboken or JC?
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey