Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:40 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think obamacare is going anywhere. what aspect is a problem at this point? i think it was a pretty poor attempt at reforming our healthcare system but you cant undo what was done. the biggest thing that was done was the medicaid expansion. good luck taking away healthcare from people. there is no reason to eliminate the marketplaces, their plans and their subsidies. that battle is over. there is still more reform that obama didnt do that could be attempted. have the republicans actually made any serious efforts to do so?
For what it is worth, the Trump Administration has been throwing their clout and resources towards pushing the Supreme Court to uphold the decision, and as I said, Trump apparently wants his new justice to vote to uphold the decision, so that has given the effort some extra clout.

So that is why these New jersey laws seem important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 11:40 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I am not a lawyer, so that is why I am posting to ask questions.

But a lawsuit in Texas declared Obamacare unconstitutional, and this ruling has survived every appeal and will be heard before the Supreme Court.
It will be heard in late 2020, or early 2021.

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/is...nging-the-aca/

If the Supreme Court does not over turn the lower courts' decisions, the lower courts' decisions will stand, and the law will be revoked. Very possibly, this will not happen, as you say.

But, should it happen, I wonder what these new New Jersey laws will be like.
Just a small correction, the court did not determine Obamacare was unconstitutional. It determined the individual mandate provision was.

As to the New Jersey bill, the OP said it was going to be similar to the Massachusetts healthcare plan, which was enacted by Mitt Romney many years ago. So I suppose we can look to that to see what this might be like.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just a small correction, the court did not determine Obamacare was unconstitutional. It determined the individual mandate was.
Oh thanks! I actually don't know exactly how this works.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Oh thanks! I actually don't know exactly how this works.
The individual mandate required that every adult carry a minimum amount of health insurance. This was made part of the bill to ensure that younger people would become part of the system, thus keeping costs low. The courts have determined that requiring people to have insurance is unconstitutional. So now we still have older and sicker people on Obamacare without younger, healthier people to balance it out. Challenging the mandate was designed as a preemptory strike to try to dismantle the entirety of Obamacare. I think they were hoping it would just collapse on its own after that.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:49 AM

I'm just curious, because from what Governor Murphy says, the ACA will continue in New Jersey, with no changes, regardless of what happens on the federal level. Do other people read it that way?

(edit to add, I am the OP, and it was my speculation that it looks similar to the Massachusetts law. (it seemed like that to me, just reading the press release.) But I wonder if anyone has more info?)

Last edited by Karen59; 09-22-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-22-2020, 12:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
I am not a lawyer, so that is why I am posting to ask questions.

But a lawsuit in Texas declared Obamacare unconstitutional, and this ruling has survived every appeal and will be heard before the Supreme Court.
It will be heard in late 2020, or early 2021.

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/is...nging-the-aca/

If the Supreme Court does not over turn the lower courts' decisions, the lower courts' decisions will stand, and the law will be revoked. Very possibly, this will not happen, as you say.

But, should it happen, I wonder what these new New Jersey laws will be like.
would it revoke the entire law or just the portion of it that is deemed unconstitutional?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The individual mandate required that every adult carry a minimum amount of health insurance. This was made part of the bill to ensure that younger people would become part of the system, thus keeping costs low. The courts have determined that requiring people to have insurance is unconstitutional. So now we still have older and sicker people on Obamacare without younger, healthier people to balance it out. Challenging the mandate was designed as a preemptory strike to try to dismantle the entirety of Obamacare. I think they were hoping it would just collapse on its own after that.
yes, i thought it was the individual mandate that was the issue and it would likely be struck down while everything else stays. however, this could be a poison pill once you lose all the young healthy people that are paying for the older and sicker people. id imagine the government will just have the kick in more money. there is no longer an attachment between government spending and receipts. we are going to find out sooner or later what that means to the economy.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:55 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, i thought it was the individual mandate that was the issue and it would likely be struck down while everything else stays. however, this could be a poison pill once you lose all the young healthy people that are paying for the older and sicker people. id imagine the government will just have the kick in more money. there is no longer an attachment between government spending and receipts. we are going to find out sooner or later what that means to the economy.
Obamacare was just a large pyramid scheme. Murphy adding some non-sense healthcare plan is another reason to leave this state.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:06 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Just a small correction, the court did not determine Obamacare was unconstitutional. It determined the individual mandate provision was.

As to the New Jersey bill, the OP said it was going to be similar to the Massachusetts healthcare plan, which was enacted by Mitt Romney many years ago. So I suppose we can look to that to see what this might be like.
The basis for all these health plans was a design from the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank with long connections to the Republican Party. One of the most important points of the plan is the individual mandate. This was important to the Heritage Foundation because, besides making sure that everybody now had access to primary health care, they wanted to make sure people paid something for the access. This leads to reduced costs for health care as people go to doctors for regular visits/minor issues vs going to emergency rooms after they already have a huge issue. If they have no insurance, those of us with insurance plus the Federal and State governments (We the people) pay.

Romney's plan is working well in Mass, but there have been many updates and changes. ACA needs updates and changes, but once the Republicans controlled Congress, they just wanted ACA/Obamacare to fail. When Sen McCain voted to keep it, the Republicans immediately went to court rather than trying to fix ACA.

ACA's individual mandate comes from the conservative value of paying your own way and not looking for handouts and freebees. Today's Republicans have corrupted this principal.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
ACA's individual mandate comes from the conservative value of paying your own way and not looking for handouts and freebees. Today's Republicans have corrupted this principal.

it was my understanding that it was to force young healthy people to buy insurance so they could subsidize the costs of the old and sick people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: