Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 04:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,391,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
During the Moorish period in Spain (roughly 700-1000 A.D.), the Jews living in that country enjoyed far more freedom, and ultimately less oppression, than Jews living in the Catholic nations in the rest of Europe. The Jewish and Muslim citizens of Spain enjoyed a rich period of mutual cultural respect during that era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden...lture_in_Spain

This was under the Emirate of Córdoba, which was left off from the Umayyad caliphate. Those guys were a nasty and intolerant bunch. The Abbasids in Baghdad were much more tolerant of other beliefs, as long as they paid into the system. But, once Baghdad fell to the steppe people like Mongols and Seljuk Turks, all hell broke lose until the Ottoman Empire came back into power. But, Baghdad stopped being a center of power and slowly slipped off the map. There is a pretty detailed video about this on YouTube.
There is so much history in Baghdad and Iraq in general. It’s unfortunate that much of the magnificent history has been destroyed by modern day warfare and unrest, and the world will never have the opportunity to see the civilizations that flourished in that region for millennia.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 10-02-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM

88,325 posts, read 84,351,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Highland Park has a big Jewish community, as do the Brunswick’s. Edison does as well, although as time goes on, the town is trending more Chinese and Indian. Not aware of Muslim communities in Central Jersey, but I do know that some of the restaurants on Oak Tree Road in Iselin near the Edison border are Halal and not Hindu, since they serve beef. That is also in the Indian area, but Indians can be Muslim as well. Or Pakistani.
Most Pakistanis are Muslim. It's why Pakistan exists. My bosses are/were Pakistani (don't really have a job anymore, lol.) But I think something like 20% of the people in India are also Muslim. Hindus and Muslims kill one another on a regular basis in some parts of India (as shown in Slumdog Millionnaire), but in other places, they co-exist.

Same with Israel. A secular Jewish friend of mine visited Israel for the first time a few years ago. He came back and said that what you see on the news isn't everything you see in Israel. There are wealthy neighborhoods where business owners live, Arabs and Jews, side by side. The news focuses on the shootings and the rock-throwing but it's not representative of everything there.

Hey, I guess perceptions are that way everywhere. In London, I was driven to the airport by a Sengalese cab driver who told me that his relatives in New York want him to come visit, but he won't go because everyone in the USA is always shooting at one another, and he's afraid.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:59 PM

5,768 posts, read 16,547,729 times
Everybody's Catholic anyway,,, you have Jewish Muslim Catholics and Muslim Jewish Catholics,,,, hey they beat that into my young impressionable psyche with wooden yardsticks

Old 10-03-2020, 10:19 AM

7,644 posts, read 6,449,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
This was under the Emirate of Córdoba, which was left off from the Umayyad caliphate. Those guys were a nasty and intolerant bunch. The Abbasids in Baghdad were much more tolerant of other beliefs, as long as they paid into the system. But, once Baghdad fell to the steppe people like Mongols and Seljuk Turks, all hell broke lose until the Ottoman Empire came back into power. But, Baghdad stopped being a center of power and slowly slipped off the map. There is a pretty detailed video about this on YouTube.
There is so much history in Baghdad and Iraq in general. It’s unfortunate that much of the magnificent history has been destroyed by modern day warfare and unrest, and the world will never have the opportunity to see the civilizations that flourished in that region for millennia.

I blame the Rashidun Caliphate. It messed up the world.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:46 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,391,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I blame the Rashidun Caliphate. It messed up the world.
One could say it was due to the power vacuum created by the death of Persia. That opened the door to the Bedouin tribe to conquer lands that used to be part of the Sassanid empire.
I can start a separate thread in the history section about this if Y’all want to discuss details.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:28 AM

7,644 posts, read 6,449,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
One could say it was due to the power vacuum created by the death of Persia. That opened the door to the Bedouin tribe to conquer lands that used to be part of the Sassanid empire.
I can start a separate thread in the history section about this if Y’all want to discuss details.

I already know the details. Its the results I don't like.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:56 AM

18,433 posts, read 15,192,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Livingston is known to be very Jewish, and my Muslim former employer lives there.

Best bet might be to do a search on mosques or synagogues.
Only a Bergen County native thinks of Livingston as "Central NJ". LOL

Livingston is due west of Central Park.

I know where you are coming from though. I think of Westfield as "Central NJ", when it clearly is in the Northern part of the state. Kind of the way New Yorkers think anything between NJ and CA is "the Mid-west"

Old 10-06-2020, 07:13 AM

88,325 posts, read 84,351,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

I know where you are coming from though. I think of Westfield as "Central NJ", when it clearly is in the Northern part of the state. Kind of the way New Yorkers think anything between NJ and CA is "the Mid-west"
Hahahaha, I thought someone might call me on that after I posted. I grew up due west of the GWB.

Central Park = CENTRAL. So you see...?

I once worked with a woman originally from Bayonne who had moved to Oakland. She complained about having to drive "all the way down to South Jersey" for Thanksgiving at her sister's house one year. Her sister lived in Edison.

I DO have a Staten Island friend who once referred to Utah as the "Mid-west". LOL.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,594,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

i was talking to a guy this past weekend and he said that i remind him of a jew from livingston (i guess stereotypical not a specific person). i thought of AMD when he said that.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:12 PM

18,433 posts, read 15,192,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was talking to a guy this past weekend and he said that i remind him of a jew from livingston (i guess stereotypical not a specific person). i thought of AMD when he said that.
Savor it. It’s not every day one gets such a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey