U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:40 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,360,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

Do you recall Louis Malle's 1980 film, Atlantic City? One of the minor characters in that film is "Chrissie", whom most people simply refer to as The Hippie Chick. Perhaps her only memorable line is, "I don't believe in gravity".

The belief that systemic racism is non-existent is as laughable as that line uttered by The Hippie Chick.

I'm all outta +1s for Retriever until 2021 but... nailed it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 09:03 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,529,211 times
I will concur with what everyone else is saying. Besides the big pockets in Montclair, South Orange, Teaneck, Englewood and Maplewood, there aren’t any majority middle/upper-middle class Black neighborhoods in NJ. I think well-to-do Blacks and Latinos just move to nice towns, even if they make up like 2-4% of the population. Not the case with Asians. Tons of middle/upper-middle class towns with Asian majorities in NJ.

Everyone mentioned Maryland suburbs as Black majority and wealthy, however no one mentioned the Atlanta suburbs. Lots of wealthy areas with a Black majority as well down there.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Busch Boy; 10-10-2020 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 11:22 AM

56 posts, read 78,004 times
I don't think there are any towns in NJ with lots of middle class black people. Most towns are going to be mixed or majority white, majority Jewish (livingston), majority Indian (edison/iselin areas), etc.

I can see why OP would ask a question like this. I've seen lots of racism in New Jersey and I know it's all over the country but it's surprising (and fckin disgusting) to see in very mixed states like NJ.

I've been to court in Roselle Park a few times and 90% of the people in that courtroom were Black or Hispanic. **** Roselle Park police Department, racist bastards.

I've been pulled over in Red Bank NJ for supposedly "swerving a little" which was 100% a lie because I was sober as hell and I drive about 2000 or more miles per month. I was driving straight but I'm sure my last name was a little too ethnic for Red Bank.

I'm sure there are lots of other towns in NJ with racist cops and towns where people would be concerned to see minorities shopping at their local grocery stores, malls, etc.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:17 PM

67,462 posts, read 62,976,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgochamp View Post
I don't think there are any towns in NJ with lots of middle class black people. Most towns are going to be mixed or majority white, majority Jewish (livingston), majority Indian (edison/iselin areas), etc.

I can see why OP would ask a question like this. I've seen lots of racism in New Jersey and I know it's all over the country but it's surprising (and fckin disgusting) to see in very mixed states like NJ.

I've been to court in Roselle Park a few times and 90% of the people in that courtroom were Black or Hispanic. **** Roselle Park police Department, racist bastards.

I've been pulled over in Red Bank NJ for supposedly "swerving a little" which was 100% a lie because I was sober as hell and I drive about 2000 or more miles per month. I was driving straight but I'm sure my last name was a little too ethnic for Red Bank.

I'm sure there are lots of other towns in NJ with racist cops and towns where people would be concerned to see minorities shopping at their local grocery stores, malls, etc.
Makes me curious as to what ethnicity your name is given that more than a third of Red Bank's population is Hispanic, primarily Mexican. Ah, you must be FRENCH!

Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 PM

18,664 posts, read 11,946,270 times
Why would someone want a majority black neighborhood, when most well to do blacks are looking to integrate into more mix areas away from black areas. Most blacks that converge in those areas because those areas have low property values and rents make it attractive for blacks at those income levels to live in those areas.

A well to do black family would not want to live in those areas due to the lower services and poorer academic performances. Yet most of these areas get more funding from Trenton, while well to do areas get less funding yet performs way better.

More proof that government help is not the solution.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 PM

56 posts, read 78,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Makes me curious as to what ethnicity your name is given that more than a third of Red Bank's population is Hispanic, primarily Mexican. Ah, you must be FRENCH!

Maybe it was a different town. I thnk it was Red Bank because I lived in Union County and was driving to Yestercades in Red Bank that day. I'm not really familiar with that area but I was the only car on the road in a quiet town and I got pulled over. This was like 6 years ago so I don't remember every detail but it was a white cop and I sure as hell didn't feel safe with all the cases of cops killing people at that time(and even now). I knew I hadn't done anything wrong so I was just thinking "Man, wtf? I wonder what lie this ******** is going to make for pulling me over." Officer ******** went with swerving. My record is clean so the cop didn't give me a ticket or anything but it's super inconvenient to be pulled over and you never know if you'll get a trigger happy cop. Things like that are what minorities have to deal with in certain towns

Old 10-11-2020, 03:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,529,211 times
Quote:
Maybe it was a different town. I thnk it was Red Bank because I lived in Union County and was driving to Yestercades in Red Bank that day. I'm not really familiar with that area but I was the only car on the road in a quiet town and I got pulled over. This was like 6 years ago so I don't remember every detail but it was a white cop and I sure as hell didn't feel safe with all the cases of cops killing people at that time(and even now). I knew I hadn't done anything wrong so I was just thinking "Man, wtf? I wonder what lie this ******** is going to make for pulling me over." Officer ******** went with swerving. My record is clean so the cop didn't give me a ticket or anything but it's super inconvenient to be pulled over and you never know if you'll get a trigger happy cop. Things like that are what minorities have to deal with in certain towns

Perhaps it was in Middletown? My wife got pulled over there for going slightly above the speed limit (we’re talking 80 in a 65mph zone) and the cop gave her a massive ticket and two points on her license despite her impeccable driving record and this being her first offense EVER.

I don’t think it was racially motivated though, more like money motivated. I don’t care what anyone says, I firmly believe quotas exist. Even if it’s not on paper, it’s probably a spoken rule. These towns need to pay their workers somehow!

Old 10-11-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Oh, I've no doubt about that, and I've seen that happen firsthand, but Red Bank is so heavily Mexican (and before that, the now-Mexican area had a significant black population going back a hundred years--ahem, Count Basie, ya know?) that it seems surprising that that a person of an ethnicity other than white would be stopped for driving while not white in Red Bank.

I could see where you would be nervous, regardless. It's a real problem.

Years ago (the 1980s) my then-husband, a blond-haired, blue-eyed Irish guy, lost his license for a month. He continued to drive from where we lived in Bergen County to his job on the docks in Bayonne. He was always in trouble for being late, so he'd swerve around people and drive on the shoulder just to get there on time.

I was really nervous that he'd get caught driving while suspended, which would mean more fines and more lost time, but he just laughed and said, "They won't pull me over. It's all state troopers on the Turnpike, and they only pull over black guys."

Not long after, there was a big scandal with the State Police over exactly that.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 AM

3,756 posts, read 1,319,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Perhaps it was in Middletown? My wife got pulled over there for going slightly above the speed limit (we’re talking 80 in a 65mph zone) and the cop gave her a massive ticket and two points on her license despite her impeccable driving record and this being her first offense EVER.

I don’t think it was racially motivated though, more like money motivated. I don’t care what anyone says, I firmly believe quotas exist. Even if it’s not on paper, it’s probably a spoken rule. These towns need to pay their workers somehow!
Slightly? Doesn't everyone know that if you're more than 10mph over you're risking being ticketed?

While I frequently drive 80, I wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself if I get pulled over and given a ticket for it. Don't want a ticket? Keep it to 73 mph at most in a 65 zone.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Slightly? Doesn't everyone know that if you're more than 10mph over you're risking being ticketed?

While I frequently drive 80, I wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself if I get pulled over and given a ticket for it. Don't want a ticket? Keep it to 73 mph at most in a 65 zone.
LOL, yes, really. And the original person said he got a ticket driving through a "quiet town". If Mrs. Busch Boy was driving in a 65 mph zone, she was driving ON THE PARKWAY, not through the town of Middletown itself. If she WAS doing 80 somewhere in Middletown itself, then she was asking--no begging--to be pulled over.

But, the only part of Middletown that would possibly have a 65 mph zone is, of course, the part that the Parkway that runs through. As a matter of fact, I bet it was around milepost 116. There's a whole page on the Interwebz somewhere about all the people who get nailed for speeding in that section. I always watch my speed when I'm between exits 114 and 117, which are the Middletown exits. The GSP is usually State Trooper jurisdiction, though, so I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey