Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 02:34 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,962 times

Advertisements

prices in paramus and river edge have spiked like crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 07:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
First time home buyers dont usually have 20%. People post first home usually have that amount accumulated. Its not really that big of a deal as pmi is usually $30-$100 a month on your mortgage which is affordable to those who only have the minimum 3.5%.

Also to mention house prices are going through the roof.
That's how I bought my condo. I was never in a position to save enough money for a down payment, but by 52, I was making enough that I knew I could easily make mortgage payments because I was already paying high rent, so I took a few thousand bucks out of my NYS pension account, which doesn't show up as borrowed money on a credit report, and used that for a 3.5% FHA down payment. I paid extra and killed the PMI early (it was around $70 a month but of course dropped as I paid down principal), and ten years later, I've refinanced to a conventional mortgage with a lower rate.

It always amazed me when I was younger that people my age would find these ways to get big down payments--parents handed them a wad of cash, or they got an inheritance, or in two cases had been in accidents and got big payoffs from lawsuits. The first two weren't going to happen to me, and I didn't really want the last one, lol, which usually came with pain and/or permanent damage.

Anyway, hoping the price spike will last into spring, when we will sell my late mother's house.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:10 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's how I bought my condo. I was never in a position to save enough money for a down payment, but by 52, I was making enough that I knew I could easily make mortgage payments because I was already paying high rent, so I took a few thousand bucks out of my NYS pension account, which doesn't show up as borrowed money on a credit report, and used that for a 3.5% FHA down payment. I paid extra and killed the PMI early (it was around $70 a month but of course dropped as I paid down principal), and ten years later, I've refinanced to a conventional mortgage with a lower rate.

It always amazed me when I was younger that people my age would find these ways to get big down payments--parents handed them a wad of cash, or they got an inheritance, or in two cases had been in accidents and got big payoffs from lawsuits. The first two weren't going to happen to me, and I didn't really want the last one, lol, which usually came with pain and/or permanent damage.

Anyway, hoping the price spike will last into spring, when we will sell my late mother's house.

How much are you looking to list it at? I'm in the market and I'm expecting a generous City-Data forum member discount

Old 11-27-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
How much are you looking to list it at? I'm in the market and I'm expecting a generous City-Data forum member discount
HAHAHA, we sat with the RE agent and she said around $550K, but that's for a house that needs a lot of updating. It's six BRs, three full baths, on half an acre, but the tile in two of the bathrooms is the original from 1957 and the one added on upstairs is from 1970. The biggest room in the house is a huge country kitchen. There is no dining room. Whoever buys it will likely want to knock out the wall, redo the kitchen, and turn it into an open concept.

The taxes are around $17K

Old 11-27-2020, 12:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
HAHAHA, we sat with the RE agent and she said around $550K, but that's for a house that needs a lot of updating. It's six BRs, three full baths, on half an acre, but the tile in two of the bathrooms is the original from 1957 and the one added on upstairs is from 1970. The biggest room in the house is a huge country kitchen. There is no dining room. Whoever buys it will likely want to knock out the wall, redo the kitchen, and turn it into an open concept.

that is pretty high taxes for a house of that price. i think you should sell it to hudson for 400k.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:59 PM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
Quote:

Where? In Midland Park?

Old 11-27-2020, 02:08 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:

Too much house for me, but good luck on the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is pretty high taxes for a house of that price. i think you should sell it to hudson for 400k.

You can represent me on the next deal

Old 11-27-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Nah, can't. We have to split it 8 ways.

Bergen County taxes are insane. Will be doing a tax appeal, though.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Nah, can't. We have to split it 8 ways.

Bergen County taxes are insane. Will be doing a tax appeal, though.
that is ok, my client is no longer interested in the home. thank you for your time.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
that is ok, my client is no longer interested in the home. thank you for your time.
He wasn't gonna give you a cut anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey