Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 08:46 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I think our definitions of rich may not align.

I grew up in Essex county in the 1960s. While the '68 riots in Newark was a scary event, it was a great place to grow up.

Fast forward to today. It breaks my heart to see what has become of my hometown. The local high school boast 10% proficiency in Math. 10%. All the Italian and Irish families flew the coop to Toms River. Those were the smart ones.

Between the property taxes and road tolls, you need to earn at least 6 figures to live anything near comfortable in that area. Seniors are priced out, even if they own their homes free & clear. Then there is the turnpike/parkway/local routes traffic.

If it wasn't for family, pizza and Italian bread, I'd never bother going back there. I guess if you don't have a history with the area, it looks great. But I can assure you, a lot of those towns have seen better days. And the possibility of returning to the good old days looks grim.

The states mottos should be: New Jersey - A great place to visit but you don't want to live here!
Agree and disagree! Grew up in Essex county loved it same time frame. NJ is no different then any other state right now. I'll take NJ over Maryland that is going to hell. Taxes , toll lanes and construction on every single bit of land there is. Same problems in Mass, Delaware and Virginia. NJ is a great place might not suit you and that's fine but others live here and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 07:43 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Agree and disagree! Grew up in Essex county loved it same time frame. NJ is no different then any other state right now. I'll take NJ over Maryland that is going to hell. Taxes , toll lanes and construction on every single bit of land there is. Same problems in Mass, Delaware and Virginia. NJ is a great place might not suit you and that's fine but others live here and love it.
Whats going on in Maryland?

Massachusetts does not have said problems. The only toll road is the Mass Pike. Construction is really just in Boston and a handful of suburbs who allow it (Which is why its a million dollars for a starter home...). Not sure about VA or DE.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that does sound pretty yummy
What became of CaptainNJ? I didn't realize he dropped out! I always found a lot of his posts to be, well, interesting.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:15 PM

19,123 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What became of CaptainNJ? I didn't realize he dropped out!
Let's just say that his departure was... not voluntary.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:54 PM

650 posts, read 774,905 times
Bergen County is good for diversity. Many minorities like to live with minorities, regardless of being overpriced. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:42 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What became of CaptainNJ? I didn't realize he dropped out! I always found a lot of his posts to be, well, interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Let's just say that his departure was... not voluntary.
He was back for a time under another name, although he stayed out of this forum. I "made" him and cackled because I knew it was him. He got whacked again by another mod, though.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:15 PM

19,123 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He was back for a time under another name, although he stayed out of this forum. I "made" him and cackled because I knew it was him. He got whacked again by another mod, though.
For several years, it was very obvious to me that almost all of his posts were trolling attempts. I'm surprised that it took that other mod so long to figure-out his sick shtick.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:16 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
He didn’t last very long once I moved here.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-01-2023, 09:49 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
I think it’s a shame he’s no longer around. He was definitely a troll, but at least an entertaining one. He brought some value to the forum

Old 01-01-2023, 10:32 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Gotta move to the other end(s) of the state for affordability and stability. If I were to move back to Jersey it would have to be by the Shore or the SW part, unless I get a 6-figure or close job by Exchange Place or the pharma companies up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey