Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:14 AM

955 posts, read 709,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Does anyone besides me feel like we're heading towards 1938 Berlin?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.app.com/story/news/polit...ed/6315509002/
No, that's quite a.......stretch.

To answer the root question, it's largely unenforceable. I would imagine citations would be issued if Thanksgiving dinner morphed into a raging house party, but no, big brother will not be bashing in front doors if there are a few cars parked out on the street.

Collectively we've failed to contain this as a society, so they are putting measures in place to limit the damage. Clearly we're not getting any useful guidance on a federal level, so states feel that it is up to them to create policies that limit the spread while we (hopefully) await a vaccine rollout in the next few months.

Now, if you told me that we were heading toward 1938 Berlin because we've had continuous assaults on a free press, the installment of sympathetic regime puppets across multiple federal agencies and refusal to transition power after a successful and fair election cycle than maybe we have something I'm mostly in jest, but that analogy is used waaaay too often these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM

3,996 posts, read 1,846,588 times
Look - I could make a guidance policy RIGHT NOW that would be very - very - simple.

Pretend everyone has the flu, and you do not want it. What would you do?
Pretend you have the flu - and NO ONE ELSE wants it. What would you do?

That's it. Do those things - and COVID would go away. But - nope - that's just toooo hard for some of you.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM

668 posts, read 466,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Does anyone besides me feel like we're heading towards 1938 Berlin?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

ALBANY - New York and New Jersey will limit private gatherings to no more than 10 people, a move aimed at stopping large get-togethers particularly during Thanksgiving to prevent further spread of coronavirus.

https://www.app.com/story/news/polit...ed/6315509002/

How exactly do they plan on enforcing this? Neighbors spying on neighbors?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 AM

668 posts, read 466,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Murphy is probably hoping people would call the police.

I am surprised he doesn't have a hotline to report people.

That will be announced at today's presser ...

Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 AM

10,189 posts, read 6,733,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona0718 View Post
Thank you. It's nice to know someone on here as common sense.

In regards to the Berlin 1938 comment - let me give you a little history lesson about what happened in Germany in 1938.

-The "Night of Broken Glass" begins as Nazi activists and sympathizers loot and burn Jewish businesses (the all night affair sees 7,500 Jewish businesses destroyed, 267 synagogues burned, 91 Jews killed, and at least 25,000 Jewish men arrested).

YOU'RE BEING ASKED TO LIMIT GATHERINGS TO 10 PEOPLE AND WEAR A MASK. GET A GRIP.
There are already leftist riots burning down businesses and churches.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM

33,784 posts, read 47,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Look - I could make a guidance policy RIGHT NOW that would be very - very - simple.

Pretend everyone has the flu, and you do not want it. What would you do?
Pretend you have the flu - and NO ONE ELSE wants it. What would you do?

That's it. Do those things - and COVID would go away. But - nope - that's just toooo hard for some of you.
You're describing the same people that would have complained had the government done absolutely nothing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-17-2020, 12:00 PM

50,402 posts, read 36,051,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

To answer the root question, it's largely unenforceable. I would imagine citations would be issued if Thanksgiving dinner morphed into a raging house party, but no, big brother will not be bashing in front doors if there are a few cars parked out on the street.

Collectively we've failed to contain this as a society, so they are putting measures in place to limit the damage. Clearly we're not getting any useful guidance on a federal level, so states feel that it is up to them to create policies that limit the spread while we (hopefully) await a vaccine rollout in the next few months.

Now, if you told me that we were heading toward 1938 Berlin because we've had continuous assaults on a free press, the installment of sympathetic regime puppets across multiple federal agencies and refusal to transition power after a successful and fair election cycle than maybe we have something I'm mostly in jest, but that analogy is used waaaay too often these days...
Thank you for saying that last part. I think that every time I see one of those posts that try to compare mask to Nazis and fascism. I do fear that we are headed in that direction, but it is more for the reasons that you state the reasons they state.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:20 PM

19,062 posts, read 25,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Let's remember that the very first people to die of COVID in NJ were members of a large family that gathered for dinner together and one of their guests.
On one of the nightly news programs, they interviewed Critical Care Nurses in Salt Lake City, and those nurses spoke about both their physical and mental fatigue and the unneeded stress of dealing with severely-ill patients and their families who STILL believe that the pandemic is "a Dem hoax". An extremely frustrated nurse said that when one of her patients finally emerged from a coma and he was asked how he felt, his first words were, "This is a Dem hoax".

It's a shame that hospitals and healthcare workers have to expend their resources and their energies on people who can barely breathe, and yet who continue to believe that all of this is a hoax. If it's a hoax, why don't those patients just continue to go about their lives as they wish, and then accept the consequences--without the assistance of medical professionals?

Edited to add:
That type of willful ignorance is not limited to the folks in Utah. Here is a sadly-similar tale of denial of reality from
South Dakota:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...0NYD8eHv47YsWM

Last edited by Retriever; 11-17-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 02:21 PM

79 posts, read 267,623 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,558,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona0718 View Post
-The "Night of Broken Glass" begins as Nazi activists and sympathizers loot and burn Jewish businesses (the all night affair sees 7,500 Jewish businesses destroyed, 267 synagogues burned, 91 Jews killed, and at least 25,000 Jewish men arrested).
you mean police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey