Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,328 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move out of Brooklyn to a house in northeast NJ. We have friends and relatives in Montclair and one of us wants to be able to access friends in Westchester and perhaps a job in the Nyack area. One of us may still have to commute to Brooklyn (Sunset Park or Bklyn Hts. I thought of Ridgewood, but as being between the two areas with a nice, walkable downtown. It's pretty pricey, though. Any other idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 02:18 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What about Pearl River NY? I only mention it due to being closer to work, while being a 30 minute drive to Montclair.

In NJ, perhaps Westwood, Hillsdale or Emerson?

Old 11-29-2020, 02:30 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Pearl River NY? I only mention it due to being closer to work, while being a 30 minute drive to Montclair.
In NJ, perhaps Westwood, Hillsdale or Emerson?
My first thought was Westwood.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
There are several "walkable downtown" towns between Nyack and Montclair. However, aside from the common characteristic of a walkable downtown, they are very different types of towns -- so what else are you looking for? What else is important to you? It's like I always say, some people like chocolate, some like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream...so it really depends on what you are looking for, lifestyle, etc.

I can't say I am an expert on the commute between any of these towns and Brooklyn, but I will say any of them aren't going to be a walk in the park, LOL.

Commute aside, the towns that stick out in my mind -- with walkable downtowns -- are Westwood, Ramsey, Ridgewood, and to a lesser extent, Allendale and Closter. Those are the only towns "I" would consider, but that's for me and my likes, dislikes, lifestyle, and what I am looking for. That said, for me it wouldn't even be a decision....Ridgewood...done.

Good luck!!!

Old 11-29-2020, 07:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
There are several "walkable downtown" towns between Nyack and Montclair. However, aside from the common characteristic of a walkable downtown, they are very different types of towns -- so what else are you looking for? What else is important to you? It's like I always say, some people like chocolate, some like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream...so it really depends on what you are looking for, lifestyle, etc.

I can't say I am an expert on the commute between any of these towns and Brooklyn, but I will say any of them aren't going to be a walk in the park, LOL.

Commute aside, the towns that stick out in my mind -- with walkable downtowns -- are Westwood, Ramsey, Ridgewood, and to a lesser extent, Allendale and Closter. Those are the only towns "I" would consider, but that's for me and my likes, dislikes, lifestyle, and what I am looking for. That said, for me it wouldn't even be a decision....Ridgewood...done.

Good luck!!!
Sure, Ridgewood, if you can afford it. The budget is the unknown factor here. But either that or Westwood as the more affordable option. They should also consider Fort Lee. It’s not “on the route” between Montclair and Nyack, but I don’t think that really matters. It’s not like they are constantly traveling between Montclair and Nyack and need a rest stop along the way, but rather, from their home to one of the two. Fort Lee is 25 minutes to both. It would also soften the blow a bit on the Brooklyn commute.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:37 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Hasbrouck Heights

Old 11-30-2020, 02:56 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
To be honest, if the Brooklyn commute ( as in "One of us may still have to commute to Brooklyn (Sunset Park or Bklyn Hts. ") is the part that makes this decision a difficult one. The towns suggested so far are all really good, and fine between Montclair and Nyack. Bringing Brooklyn into it , and if it's on a daily basis and with normal ( non WFH non covid traffic ), I sure wouldn't like that part.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Sure, Ridgewood, if you can afford it. The budget is the unknown factor here. But either that or Westwood as the more affordable option. They should also consider Fort Lee. It’s not “on the route” between Montclair and Nyack, but I don’t think that really matters. It’s not like they are constantly traveling between Montclair and Nyack and need a rest stop along the way, but rather, from their home to one of the two. Fort Lee is 25 minutes to both. It would also soften the blow a bit on the Brooklyn commute.
I was actually going to say Ft. Lee, and I lived there for over 25 years, however, I didn't want to open a can of worms, LOL. Ridgewood can be pricey, but that's a relative term. I know people who live there who think it's a bargain, LOL. I set aside price re affordability because the OP said he/she thought of Ridgewood, and said it's pricey, so I guessed they can afford it. But that's up to them. I don't know anything other than the limited facts, so how can tell what's what? LOL. They can certainly find a house in Ft. Lee, and it's different home-style living, but regardless, I am a fan! Like I always say, some people like chocolate, some like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream, LOL.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Ridgewood is a bargain as compared to what?

Old 11-30-2020, 02:22 PM

I didn't compare it to anything. I said I know people who live there who think it's a bargain -- value, lifestyle, enjoyment, bargain, and so much more, is not just relative, but also personal and like beauty is in the eye and mind of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey