Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 AM

175 posts, read 282,094 times

Advertisements

Personally I would pick ScotchPlains or Berkeley Heights because you can get slightly more for your money in those towns but the schools are still very good. But Springfield is very nice and closer to the city than those towns. 730k could get you a 2000 sq. ft 4 bed 2 br home on a quarter acre lot in springfield. I would think 2500sqft would be more in the 800-850k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM

453 posts, read 344,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because if this is true. People would move much further out to Ohio. Location still does matter. People are moving out but not further out. Springfield isn't particularly attractive to me because it's in a dead zone without a lot of commuting options. There's no trains nearby without a 20 min drive and people are paying $700k when they can buy closer to the train station for same prices.
Springfield borders Summit and Millburn, both of which have train stations, so people in the northern part of town are very close to transit. Westfield and Cranford are the southern neighbors. Union station is not nearby since it's on the far Eastern edge of town, but it's also inconvenient and far for many residents of Union itself. There is also a bus line at Mountain and Morris Ave in Springfield that goes to Port Authority.

Also, most people who live in NJ do not commute into NYC. Springfield is convenient for many people's jobs.

That said, it's hard to say if a home is "worth it" for the OP because we know nothing about their situation. That price point is at the upper end of prices in the town and likely has about $20k+ in taxes, or will once it's been revalued, since it has undergone renovations recently. At that price point, other towns are well within the OP's reach, but we need more details.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:41 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,101 times
There’s nothing wrong with Springfield. It’s overall a nice town, decent commuting options & decent schools. To me 730k is a bit much for Springfield you could get into a nicer town. However, Springfield has many expensive homes and an area called the Top which is very pricey. As long as your buying a house in Springfield that is a nice large house then it’s fine it’s not like it’s any worse of an investment than buying somewhere else.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:33 AM

53 posts, read 63,200 times
I think the OP is getting it whether its a good idea to be one of the priciest house in the town or neighborhood or be one of the lower costing homes in a pricier neighborhood or town. I dont know the answer to this but i have heard people say its preferable to be surrounded by higher priced homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey