U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 AM

7 posts, read 9,968 times

Advertisements

I have a job in Newark and looking to move to Union County to be near my family in Cranford.

Which towns will $400k get me a decent house in? Am I likely to find anything in Cranford? How safe is Union? What's the best bet for a 33 year old with a 5 month old kid? I liked Garwood thought it's well located.

I'm Hispanic and my gf is Asian, prefer somewhere that's not racially homogenous. She works in Newark as well.

Notes:
Between my parents, cousins, and brother, I'll likely be visiting somebody in Cranford as often as I commute to work if not more, so it's essential to be near it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM

5,358 posts, read 3,159,897 times
I would start looking at zillow first to see options. The NJ housing market is hot so anything that is nice or well priced goes quickly (highest or best bid usually wins end of first weekend). After scouting find a realtor who knows the town you want.

I feel $400k should get you a starter home in any town. Union is safe and I feel is more diverse as demographics change. I feel alot of people living there are older and used to work at the Ford factory before they closed down and Schering-Plough/Merck before they shifted blue collar jobs away to China under Obama.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:57 AM

189 posts, read 540,576 times
A bit unfortunate that the previous poster had to turn an innocent post regarding housing options into something political, but so be it.

A little more on point with your question, there are several towns that will meet your needs in your budget but albeit mostly on the lower end of those towns. Springfield, Fanwood, Scotch Plains, and possibly Cranford will have homes in the 400k range but will tend to be smaller capes on small lots and may need work. Union township is OK and will have many options in your range, but parts of town may have higher crime than others and the schools are not on par with the others I mentioned. Garwood does not have it's own high school or middle school and shares with Clark.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:10 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,505,034 times
Roselle Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey