Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:24 PM

144 posts, read 129,254 times

Advertisements

I am likely moving to an outer borough or across the Hudson in New Jersey in the middle of 2021. I posted a similar topic in the NYC forum, but the replies have really only been centered on those in NYC. Because there is a good chance I actually end up in Hoboken or Jersey City while commuting to work in Manhattan, I was hoping to get some insight on both.

As mentioned in the title, I'm in my early 30s. I'd be looking to move to a neighborhood that some activity - restaurants, stores, places to visit, things I can walk to, etc. While I know Hoboken and JC at a very surface level, I have questions on both:

Hoboken: I know it's great for restaurants and you can get to a lot simply by walking down Washington St. But what is the biggest concern people living in Hoboken have? Friends have mentioned flooding and the very tight parking situation.

Jersey City: Apartments are less expensive here than in Hoboken, but where is the epicenter of activity located? Are they within walking distance or are JC's hotspots more scattered? For what it's worth, I'd be considering three of the neighborhoods near the PATH stations (Newport, Exchange Place, Downtown/Grove Street).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 12-24-2020 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 06:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
I think you hit the nail on the head. Biggest problems with Hoboken are parking and flooding. And it’s expensive, although the alternative to living in an outer borough isn’t any cheaper, but I’m sure you understand that. Other than that, Hoboken is great. I think by mid-2021, things should be fairly back to normal for the most part. Although in summer, it empties out a bit as people head down the shore. COVID made that even more of a thing.

Grove Street is the best part of Jersey City. Exchange Place is good as well, and that whole Paulus Hook area is not only good in its own right but also easily accessible to Grove Street as well. You could walk there when the weather is nice and not even need to use the PATH or Uber. Same with Newport. Newport is much quieter and subdued though. There are some restaurants around and such, but it’s definitely, in this case, third fiddle. I used to live there.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:39 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Biggest problems with Hoboken are parking and flooding. And it’s expensive,
+1
My oldest friend from my undergraduate days has owned a condo in Hoboken since the '80s. He really likes the convenience of being so close to Manhattan, as well as being able to shop for most things in the stores on Washington St. His only real complaints have to do with parking and with flooding.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:59 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
One advantage of living in Jersey City or Hoboken is the great view of the skyline of Manhattan.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One advantage of living in Jersey City or Hoboken is the great view of the skyline of Manhattan.
That's the only thing I can think of, everything else is old crumbling infrastructure. Only young people would rather overpay to live somewhere they can walk to a bar than live somewhere else that is quieter safer and more space.

The area is terrible for biking, terrible for walking, parking and driving is actually almost as bad as NYC.

I just wish developers and city government effing fix the roads and infrastructure before building all these massive buildings around it. It's nothing like Texas where roads are big and wide, you can easily park where ever even downtown there are street parking and flat roads. Hoboken roads are filled with land mines, terrible for driving and biking. Jersey City isn't much better.

I don't live close to JC or Hobo but it only takes me 30mins to drive there and I avoid the area as much as possible unless I have to meet some business clients.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:33 PM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
The biggest problems in Hoboken are caused by people failing to take advantage of one of the biggest benefits of living in Hoboken....not needing a car.

Old 12-25-2020, 02:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
They're both awesome for what you want, if things ever get back to semi-normal.

If they do not, then you would be paying a large premium for something that you are not getting IMO...

Old 12-25-2020, 03:18 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
The biggest problems in Hoboken are caused by people failing to take advantage of one of the biggest benefits of living in Hoboken....not needing a car.
Ding ding ding.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:14 PM

156 posts, read 165,354 times
Jersey City does not have a downtown area comparable to Washington St. in Hoboken.
If you want to save money Grove St. or Newport area in JC are the options.
I would go with Hoboken :-)

Old 12-26-2020, 10:32 AM

144 posts, read 129,254 times
Thanks for the early perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Grove Street is the best part of Jersey City. Exchange Place is good as well, and that whole Paulus Hook area is not only good in its own right but also easily accessible to Grove Street as well. You could walk there when the weather is nice and not even need to use the PATH or Uber. Same with Newport. Newport is much quieter and subdued though. There are some restaurants around and such, but it’s definitely, in this case, third fiddle. I used to live there.

Thought this was interesting about JC. I haven't passed through it as often, so getting some intel on the different neighborhoods will be important for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey