Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 645 times

Advertisements

This is an amazing forum. So thanks for your time in advance.

We are moving from Jersey city to suburbs in NJ

FAMILY
Husband wife plus one ten years old (grade 4)

BUDGET
650 TO 850K

HOUSE REQUIREMENT
4 BED, SINGLE HOUSE, BACK YARD, no flood zone

SCHOOL
PUBLIC MIDDLE AND HIGH RATING 8 AND ABOVE

COMMUTE
TRAIN STATION TO NYC 1 HR
BUS TO JERSEY CITY 40 MIN

TOWN REQUIRMENT
down town area, parks recreation
Safety is definitely a requirement

We are south east Asian and would love to be in an area
Which has reasonable authority asian presence but diverse also.
We want the kid to be connected to culture while at the same time having a good diverse upbringing.

Towns considered
Millburn
summit
westfield

Off the list
Short hills budget basis, too competitive schools
Edison too competitive schools,

Summit and westfield seem like a good list

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 15,233 times
I have been browsing the Summit and surrounding area with somewhat similar requirements (though I would prefer a townhouse not a single family) and I think it's somewhat hard (but not impossible) to find a single family home in that price range in either Summit or Westfield. The homes I see in that range are usually older and/or often need work (which is also something I wanted to avoid because we are not handy and would rather not spend time on DIY projects and fix ups). If you don't mind an older home (1920s-1950s) then maybe you'd like this one I came across: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/868-Willow-Grove-Rd-Westfield-NJ-07090/40091164_zpid/

I can't really comment on the diversity / east asian points you mentioned since I don't live there (yet!).

Old 12-28-2020, 04:34 PM

189 posts, read 582,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERABHAI1 View Post
This is an amazing forum. So thanks for your time in advance.

We are moving from Jersey city to suburbs in NJ

FAMILY
Husband wife plus one ten years old (grade 4)

BUDGET
650 TO 850K

HOUSE REQUIREMENT
4 BED, SINGLE HOUSE, BACK YARD, no flood zone

SCHOOL
PUBLIC MIDDLE AND HIGH RATING 8 AND ABOVE

COMMUTE
TRAIN STATION TO NYC 1 HR
BUS TO JERSEY CITY 40 MIN

TOWN REQUIRMENT
down town area, parks recreation
Safety is definitely a requirement

We are south east Asian and would love to be in an area
Which has reasonable authority asian presence but diverse also.
We want the kid to be connected to culture while at the same time having a good diverse upbringing.

Towns considered
Millburn
summit
westfield

Off the list
Short hills budget basis, too competitive schools
Edison too competitive schools,

Summit and westfield seem like a good list

What do you think?
If short hills is off the list because the schools are too competitive, shouldn't millburn also be off the list since they are the same school district and same HS?

Old 12-28-2020, 06:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
If short hills is off the list because the schools are too competitive, shouldn't millburn also be off the list since they are the same school district and same HS?
Bingo. Short Hills = Millburn. Someone did not do their due diligence. My druthers would also say that Westfield and Summit schools are more competitive than Edison.

Cranford would give you a little more leniency with your budget. However, you did also mention no flood zone, so maybe not. You may also want to consider Morristown.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:35 PM

189 posts, read 582,289 times
Cranford fits the OP's requirements. There are plenty of non flood properties and the town is working on flood mitigation plans.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:44 PM

131 posts, read 137,286 times
No Bergen county? I don't know Bergen county well but if you want good Asian presence and good schools, I'm sure many towns in Bergen will have that.

For the towns you listed. I wouldn't consider Westfield diverse based on city-data stats. Scotch Plains next to Westfield better fits your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey