Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Getting (and staying) pregnant is a choice, not a right. If the job requires duties that she can no longer perform, then she has to take leave in my opinion.
From the article: "Friend explained that there have been many examples over the years where male officers have been placed on light duty for various illnesses and injuries."

Quote:
The problem with letting her switch jobs is that it would create an unsupportable environment of everyone switching jobs because of this ailment or that ailment.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
No that would be discrimination since there ARE jobs she can perform. I would rather see someone work if they can before going on disability when they really dont need to.
There is nothing one can say to contradict that and still appear sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Does she get paid if she takes disability leave or whatever they told her to do?

If so then what is the problem
Even if she goes on disability, she probably won't get close to her full pay. That, and a little thing called dignity.

Quote:
Maybe the department really does not have another opening
They admitted they do.

Quote:
She should have thought about this before she got pregnant
So it's her fault that the department, knowing it had young women on its force, failed to create a policy? She's not in management.

Are we going to dictate to women how to conduct their reproductive lives based on their jobs? That's pretty scary!

Quote:
She should have asked for a transfer way before she decided to have a baby
The article doesn't specify, but I don't think she got pregnant all by herself.

You know, I get the feeling that some of the posters who are arguing that she should either a) continue to patrol the area and apprehend suspects until she's in labor, or b) take a medical leave without pay voted for "family values" candidates over the last 20 years or so, if they're old enough. "Family values" is one of the most hypocritical labels I've ever encountered, and this thread has a few examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Whats the big deal, give her a desk job until after she has the child. Thats what are dept. does. All they have to do is cut a new rules and regulations order. Simple- Rule #47- All female officers that are pregnant will inform the dept.immediately and will be reassigned to light duty inside headquarters until after they return to work after the birth of the child. Now that wasn't hard. Duh.
And then you'll end up having a lawsuit from another officer who gets pregnant and feels that she's being descriminated against by being forced to take desk duty when she's fully capable of performing her regular duties, even though she's pregnant. It's really a no-win situation, unfortunately.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM

269 posts, read 944,292 times
Well, at least they came to their senses... Town offers pregnant cop desk job | APP.com | Asbury Park Press

Quote:
"At this point, we have come up with what we feel is a fair remedy to this situation," Larkin said. "It's just being reviewed by the PBA attorney."

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,053 times
At least this worked out for this woman, but this doesn't change my opinion one bit that she should be forced to take leave and then return when she is physically capable.

Life is about choices. She chose a physically demanding job and is now choosing to have a baby which prevents her from doing her physically demanding job. That burden is on her. And don't think me heartless here, there are already laws in place that govern maternity leave and I believe in them but this is something different.

I thought the comments on the new article by retired cops forced into retirement were pretty telling.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM

269 posts, read 944,292 times
She didn't get pregnant on her own, and the choice that her and her family have made should have no bearing on equal rights for her as a woman in the employment world. You Say:

Quote:
Life is about choices. She chose a physically demanding job and is now choosing to have a baby which prevents her from doing her physically demanding job.
Well, how do you know what her circumstances were when she started in that physically demanding job? She should change her whole career path because of a temporary situation? This is a highly decorated officer who was awarded the Medal of Valor from the department. We should lose an obsiously capable officer due to an archaic set of policies?

As someone said earlier, her choice to start a family has no more bearing on her job than one of her colleagues choosing to be a "weekend warrior" playing football (or any other sport) and injuring themself. Yet a doctors request for light duty is a doctors request. If the tables were turned and someone else on the force - be them male or female - injured themselves due to their own choices outside of the line of duty, the accomodations would be made as policies are in place, and that is what it comes down to. Ocean Township needs to realize it is not 1955 and there are women on their force.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
Well, at least they came to their senses... Town offers pregnant cop desk job | APP.com | Asbury Park Press
Hallelujah!

Amazing what can happen when there's no escaping that your pr makes you look like an a55h0le.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

76 posts, read 444,005 times
I just knew that when this was posted a million dumb sexists would come rushing to the department's defense. Quibbling over this "ailment" completely misses the point: we live in a greater context of systematic inequality towards women. Europe got it right -- especially the Scandinavian countries. And, as per usual, all of America, including NJ, is light years behind.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
At least this worked out for this woman, but this doesn't change my opinion one bit that she should be forced to take leave and then return when she is physically capable.

Life is about choices. She chose a physically demanding job and is now choosing to have a baby which prevents her from doing her physically demanding job. That burden is on her. And don't think me heartless here, there are already laws in place that govern maternity leave and I believe in them but this is something different.

I thought the comments on the new article by retired cops forced into retirement were pretty telling.
Let me guess...you don't have kids?

I've seen a lot of FAT (more than out of shape) cops running around.....so these fat boys (just watch a tv cop show any time of the day...then go check out your local cop house) chose a physically demanding job...maybe they were in shape when they went through the acedemy...but now what? They can't get pregnant so their lack of physical ability just screams "one more who got away?". And that's ok? Pregnancy is only 9 months. Fat cops...well, you tell me how long it takes to lose an extra 50 pounds.

Knock it off.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,053 times
Quote:
Let me guess...you don't have kids?
Actually we do have one and we're trying for another. And we <GASP> made sure our financial house was in order PRIOR to having kids so that if something came up unexpectedly, we could drop down to just my income if necessary, and not sue my wife's employer. An old fashioned concept I suppose.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
The Result- The people now pay for someone else's miscalculated decision.
Another paper pusher working for our Government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey