Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 46,935 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I grew up in CT so I don’t know a ton about NJ suburbs. My fiancé and I are looking to buy our first home. We both work in NYC, midtown.

Our max budget is 850k (though we were pre-approved for way more - we don’t want to spend outside our means) but would prefer to stay under 800k. Our top priorities are that the schools are top rated and that the commute is manageable. I also like it when towns have some sort of downtown/Main Street area. I’m ok to commute up to 90 mins but I don’t want to commute much longer than that. We are also looking in CT but figured we should explore all areas. I have lots of coworkers that live in NJ and love it so I also plan to ask them for recommendations but figured I would check here first!

I am fine with a cosmetic fixer upper and we are looking at 3 bedrooms.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 01:14 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Most of northeastern NJ, and parts farther west and south are "Commuter towns", so your question is way too broad. About 300K people commute to the city every day from NJ, or did before COVID.

You gave a budget, which is good, but there's a Sticky at the top of the page that will help people help you if you answer the questions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...residents.html

First thing you need to do is look at a map. I'm not being sarcastic here. A lot of people don't really have the layout in their heads as to where NJ towns lie in relation to Manhattan. WHERE in Manhattan you work is important, too, because, for example, a popular commuter town like Ridgewood, in the more northern part of NJ, is great for commuting to the WTC area because its train goes to Hoboken, while if you worked in the 50s or 60s, closer to Ridgewood as the crow flies, it will take you longer to get to work because you have to make a couple of transfers.

So the next thing is to look at the train lines (and buses, if that work best) and see if they go to Penn or to Hoboken. Things like that.

You are realistic about the commute, which is good. We get people on here who want a 45-minute commute door to door, and that is simply not realistic for a good suburban town with good schools. A good commute is likely an hour to an hour and a half, and you should be able to find what you're looking for in that range.

So, start with answering the questions in the sticky, and people will be happy to help!

Old 02-14-2021, 04:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times
Before Covid-19, the wait list for parking permits at some of the commuter rail stations ran into years! That is another thing you need to realize.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 21,731 times
If you are commuting to Midtown, look at Madison and Summit.

We ended up in Westfield, which you might like, but is better for commuting to Lower Manhattan than Midtown (but does have a nice downtown and good schools).

When house hunting, we also looked at parts of Bergen County (Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Fairlawn, River Edge, and Oradell).

Old 02-14-2021, 07:02 PM

195 posts, read 135,743 times
if you make enough money to afford that loan. You dont need any advice from this forum

Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Pick the town for a general commute not your current one (unless you know you will always be doing the same one forever). 800k for 3 bed should get you in any town you want and 90 will let you live in any of the popular ones.

Remember to look at bus+train options. There are trade offs for any town. Westfield doesn’t have a direct midtown train, but has a good bus option. Summit bus option is not as good (separate ticket where Westfield is same NJT), but direct train (but half go to Hoboken which is good if you want to go there, and if not)

Old 02-15-2021, 12:12 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
If you have to go to Midtown, why wouldn't you consider CT and take MetroNorth directly to GCT?

Old 02-15-2021, 02:03 PM

821 posts, read 774,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
If you have to go to Midtown, why wouldn't you consider CT and take MetroNorth directly to GCT?
Connecticut is a long commute to GCT. Maybe if you are in Greenwich or Stamford near the train.

The big benefit of CT is generally lower property taxes.

Westchester could be an option but a lot of places are expensive with high property taxes.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
if you make enough money to afford that loan. You dont need any advice from this forum
I don’t think that’s even remotely true. There’s tremendous value in these posts to help narrow down areas before a search becomes more formal.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:16 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I don’t think that’s even remotely true.
+1
And, it wasn't even grammatically correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey