Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2021, 06:18 PM

3,979 posts, read 3,534,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
The closer to blvd East, the safer it is. If she’s close to JFK blvd then it’s no good. I would recommend cliffside park instead.

The only thing remotely dangerous about Kennedy Blvd is crossing the street
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 07:25 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,977,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san67 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The apartments we found were around JFK Blvd, so good to know that not the greatest area. I'll check Cliffside.

She cannot telecommute from CA. She will be working a short walk from the Port Authority in Manhattan.

I just found a similarly priced apartment in Weehawken, with a much shorter commute. She went to school in Hoboken, so is familiar with that area. So now I'm thinking that Weehawken will be a much better option. Basically, she needs a one bedroom under $2000 with parking.
If your daughter went to Stevens for 4 years, she probably has a degree of street smarts about the area and may not listen to what you think or determine here.

I know if I was 22 and my mom was trying to tell me which areas were safe or not in an area I've already lived around, I'd tell her she had no clue.

But you may have a different relationship. I'm also a man.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,794 times
Thank you, I will.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM

175 posts, read 276,750 times
North Bergen is like any other Northern NJ lower-middle class suburb. A little run down in some spots but has no real crime problem. I would say the town is getting better though.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 7,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If your daughter went to Stevens for 4 years, she probably has a degree of street smarts about the area and may not listen to what you think or determine here.

I know if I was 22 and my mom was trying to tell me which areas were safe or not in an area I've already lived around, I'd tell her she had no clue.

But you may have a different relationship. I'm also a man.
Yes, Stevens grad, college athlete, black belt. She can handle herself and is very aware of her surroundings. That being said, she wants to be safe. She is liking the idea of Weehawken.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:21 PM

22 posts, read 19,864 times
I’ve lived in upper North Bergen since 2013. My wife or I have had no problems walking around 1am. As others mentioned there are parts of North Bergen that don’t appear too great. Overall I think North Bergen is a great place to live if you need to commute into the city and want to avoid the crazy rent prices of Hoboken, Newport JC, etc.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 PM

84 posts, read 197,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
The closer to blvd East, the safer it is. If she’s close to JFK blvd then it’s no good. I would recommend cliffside park instead.
Rubbish.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
I grew up here in NB. It's a nice town with lots of diversity.

The only seedy parts are any streets below 72nd and the hilly parts leading to Tonnelle, west of JFK Blvd West. In general, the closer you get to UC, WNY, and JC, and the farther you are from Blvd East, the more sus it gets. Woodcliff and the Racetrack are very safe though, Blvd East is especially nice and it's the fanciest part of town.

in my 20+ years of living here I've never been in a position where I've feared for my life or my possessions. My closest calls have been with traffic! River Road for example is terrible to walk through, so slow to get plowed during winter, and kids from Edgewater will race their cars down there sometimes. Tonnelle and JFK Blvd West are a nightmare to cross during busy times as well. Those areas can also be pretty dark and empty, which can be creepy if she has to walk alone at night. The park is also very dark and lonely at night but its not like she will ever need to walk through it to get home.

If she went to school in Hoboken then NB will really be no problem for her. I have pretty bad street smarts and do fine here.

Weehawken and Hoboken are nicer of course and will have much more things for her to do. I feel like Cliffside Park and NB are better for people with families and stuff. But if she doesnt mind it getting boring here, she will have no issues getting to and from NYC at any time of day.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:14 PM

84 posts, read 197,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbebebeat View Post
I grew up here in NB. It's a nice town with lots of diversity.

The only seedy parts are any streets below 72nd and the hilly parts leading to Tonnelle, west of JFK Blvd West. In general, the closer you get to UC, WNY, and JC, and the farther you are from Blvd East, the more sus it gets. Woodcliff and the Racetrack are very safe though, Blvd East is especially nice and it's the fanciest part of town.

in my 20+ years of living here I've never been in a position where I've feared for my life or my possessions. My closest calls have been with traffic! River Road for example is terrible to walk through, so slow to get plowed during winter, and kids from Edgewater will race their cars down there sometimes. Tonnelle and JFK Blvd West are a nightmare to cross during busy times as well. Those areas can also be pretty dark and empty, which can be creepy if she has to walk alone at night. The park is also very dark and lonely at night but its not like she will ever need to walk through it to get home.

If she went to school in Hoboken then NB will really be no problem for her. I have pretty bad street smarts and do fine here.

Weehawken and Hoboken are nicer of course and will have much more things for her to do. I feel like Cliffside Park and NB are better for people with families and stuff. But if she doesnt mind it getting boring here, she will have no issues getting to and from NYC at any time of day.
What’s your definition of seedy? That’s a very odd thing to say.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:06 PM

3,979 posts, read 3,534,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbebebeat View Post

Weehawken and Hoboken are nicer of course and will have much more things for her to do.

What’s there to do in Weehawken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey