Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 01:27 AM

4 posts, read 5,616 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Unfortunately, on 4/15/20 a guy did an illegal u-turn right in front of me. I hit him on his driver's side. The entire crash is on my dashcam and he received a ticket. My car was only 6 mths old & cost $9,000 to fix. 2 days later I went to Urgent Care because my upper back & neck were sstiff as a board. I'm a very active 46 yr old with no history of neck pain. I ultimately was sent for 2 mths of Physical Therapy and this helped loosen my back. I then started to develop right arm nerve pinching & tingleness. Had MRI which showed 2 small herniations with impingement. PT sent me to pain management. In July had my 1st Cervical Epidural Injection and it did absolutely nothing! My Geico insurance then sent me for an IME, which concluded that my injuries are related to the accident however, you are at Maximum Medical Improvement!!!

In conclusion, I went thru my Health Insurance and had 2 different injections done & it worked for a bit. Just had a Transforaminal Cervical Injection last Friday & I'm hoping this does the trick.

I cannot believe that Geico cut me off so soon for treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 05:31 AM

6,292 posts, read 3,030,351 times
If the other driver was indeed responsible for the crash, A) I would think that THEY and/or THEIR insurance should be at least partially covering your expenses; and B) you should be contacting a lawyer, rather than seeking advice on the internet.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:52 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,182,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If the other driver was indeed responsible for the crash, A) I would think that THEY and/or THEIR insurance should be at least partially covering your expenses; and B) you should be contacting a lawyer, rather than seeking advice on the internet.
+1
It seems that the OP began his/her thread just to trash Geico, but it was definitely a good idea to give him the advice that you provided. Rather than simply trashing Geico online, the OP should be seeking an attorney who is experienced in this type of litigation.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:34 PM

Why would I trash Geico? I pay for this insurance every month. You simply missed the point in the thread.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamskrug View Post
Why would I trash Geico? I pay for this insurance every month. You simply missed the point in the thread.
Then, what was the point of this thread?

Old 10-28-2020, 04:26 PM

851 posts, read 1,326,399 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Unfortunately, on 4/15/20 a guy did an illegal u-turn right in front of me. I hit him on his driver's side. The entire crash is on my dashcam and he received a ticket. My car was only 6 mths old & cost $9,000 to fix. 2 days later I went to Urgent Care because my upper back & neck were sstiff as a board. I'm a very active 46 yr old with no history of neck pain. I ultimately was sent for 2 mths of Physical Therapy and this helped loosen my back. I then started to develop right arm nerve pinching & tingleness. Had MRI which showed 2 small herniations with impingement. PT sent me to pain management. In July had my 1st Cervical Epidural Injection and it did absolutely nothing! My Geico insurance then sent me for an IME, which concluded that my injuries are related to the accident however, you are at Maximum Medical Improvement!!!

In conclusion, I went thru my Health Insurance and had 2 different injections done & it worked for a bit. Just had a Transforaminal Cervical Injection last Friday & I'm hoping this does the trick.

I cannot believe that Geico cut me off so soon for treatment.
Try getting some chiropractic work done, if you can. I had a pinched nerve in my back and the chiro cleared it right up after a few sessions. Not sure the herniation prevents standard chiro work, but i’m sure something could be done. My mom had herniated discs in her neck and traction helped her a little. Good luck, and yes, sue the pants off the other driver.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Good advice--as usual--from Kiru, while we wait for the OP to clarify the actual point of his/her post.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:17 PM

This isn't English class where you need to decide what the main idea is. It clearly states it in my post. It's nice to know if someone has gone through anything similar that I have. I have never been in an accident so this is all new to me. Also, NJ is considered a no-fault state which means you go through your own car insurance regardless of who is at fault. I found it extremely strange that Geico says, yes my injuries are related but no we are not going to pay for any treatment. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:44 PM

851 posts, read 1,326,399 times
Quote:
This isn't English class where you need to decide what the main idea is. It clearly states it in my post. It's nice to know if someone has gone through anything similar that I have. I have never been in an accident so this is all new to me. Also, NJ is considered a no-fault state which means you go through your own car insurance regardless of who is at fault. I found it extremely strange that Geico says, yes my injuries are related but no we are not going to pay for any treatment. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Echoing others, I would talk to a lawyer or talk to your insurance company. It sounds like your medical bills exceeded your policy limits so they stopped paying. My husband was in a car accident a few years ago and had to get some therapy, which our insurance paid for. However, they would only pay a certain number of sessions before they cut it off. Most likely whatever they’re doing is legal, and you’re stuck. Since you have some continuing, possibly long-term, medical issues, and a slam dunk-sounding case, you really should sue the other party. Your case will be settled out of court (90+% are) and unless the other person has really low limits on their insurance, most likely the entire settlement will be paid for by their insurance so don’t feel bad about suing, if indeed that’s a reason you haven’t sued already. There is a statute of limitations on suing (I think 18 or 24 months) so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2020, 08:07 PM

Thank you so much for all your information. It definitely makes sense and I will get a lawyer for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey