Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,807 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I need to move to the Florham Park area in about a months time. I am a consultant so proximity to the airport(EWR) is important, I would prefer anywhere that takes me less than 30 mins to EWR. I am willing to compromise on this if everything else in our criteria fits, more on this below.

The other thing that is extremely important is safety as my wife will probably be working from home when travel starts again. We both are in our early 30s, don't have any kids, like to hike and are looking for more of a suburban feel. FWIW, we are not looking to be in an area that is extremely conservative, we keep politics to ourselves and respect everyone's views. We are looking to rent a 2 bed 2 bath, budget not to exceed 2400/month.

We have been apartment hunting for the past week, here are some of my notes:

Somerville (great town, far from airport though). I found a few good apartment complexes within budget. For example, Somerville Parc.

Somerset(Franklin Township) - Cheaper apartments, but again slightly far from airport. Looking at 745 Hamilton apartments. Close to NB, so safety might be an issue?

Raritan - Cheaper apartments, issues with flooding

Florham Park - unable to find apartments with good reviews within budget

Morristown - unable to find apartments with good reviews within budget

Bloomfield - Not the safest if not in Brookdale area

Westfield - Going over budget

Can someone please recommend a few more towns that we should look at? I really appreciate all the help, because quite frankly we are quite overwhelmed with all the small towns/townships in NJ!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:29 PM

306 posts, read 203,389 times
I live in Florham Park, in a rental development. It's just temporary for us while our house is being built. It's a nice enough area, but it's mainly residential suburban and most people own their homes. I'd be surprised if you could find a good rental with that budget, as there just aren't that many apartments compared to the more urban areas. You're always going to have a challenge finding rentals in a suburban area, as most of the rentals will be houses.

Have you looked at Avalon at all? They have rental complexes in several NJ towns.

I wouldn't be too concerned about safety unless you're looking at places known for safety issues. The vast majority of suburban NJ is going to be very safe.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 21,742 times
Have you looked at East Hanover? Not sure how the rental market is there, but my in laws used to live there. I think it is 25 or 30 minutes to Newark and would be safe.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,807 times
Thanks for your responses. We are looking to rent in Cedar Knolls, seems like a good place. Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2021, 03:54 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track1323 View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I need to move to the Florham Park area in about a months time. I am a consultant so proximity to the airport(EWR) is important, I would prefer anywhere that takes me less than 30 mins to EWR. I am willing to compromise on this if everything else in our criteria fits, more on this below.

The other thing that is extremely important is safety as my wife will probably be working from home when travel starts again. We both are in our early 30s, don't have any kids, like to hike and are looking for more of a suburban feel. FWIW, we are not looking to be in an area that is extremely conservative, we keep politics to ourselves and respect everyone's views. We are looking to rent a 2 bed 2 bath, budget not to exceed 2400/month.

We have been apartment hunting for the past week, here are some of my notes:

Somerville (great town, far from airport though). I found a few good apartment complexes within budget. For example, Somerville Parc.

Somerset(Franklin Township) - Cheaper apartments, but again slightly far from airport. Looking at 745 Hamilton apartments. Close to NB, so safety might be an issue?

Raritan - Cheaper apartments, issues with flooding

Florham Park - unable to find apartments with good reviews within budget

Morristown - unable to find apartments with good reviews within budget

Bloomfield - Not the safest if not in Brookdale area

Westfield - Going over budget

Can someone please recommend a few more towns that we should look at? I really appreciate all the help, because quite frankly we are quite overwhelmed with all the small towns/townships in NJ!!
Chatham
https://www.apartments.com/chatham-n...2uq6swxH7zwh8Z

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
Springfield, NJ right next to 78/24 which is a straight shot to EWR. Close to both South Mountain and Watchung Reservations

Old 03-05-2021, 07:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Unless the previous poster was referring to an apartment complex named Avalon, the town is way south on the Jersey shore so strike that one. If you're looking in Morris Township: Madison, Chatham, Hanover (Cedar Knolls is in Hanover), East Hanover, Morris Plains. Denville, but that's getting further away from the EWR.

Not sure if your budget would work but Summit, Short Hills, Harding (there's not much, but we rented a townhouse there before we bought our home). New Providence, Berkley Heights, Gillette, Long Hill, Sterling, Mountainside these towns all run along the north of 78 which you can hop on and go straight to EWR. Not sure how many apartments there are but the towns are safe and next to Watchung Reservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey