Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 PM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We lost two neighbors, one in NJ just up the street, and one in PA immediately next to us. I know this is going to sound callous, but they were not healthy; both were obese and had high blood pressure, and our neighbor in PA had COPD as well. I'm SO sorry for their families and that this virus took these men from them too early. But that doesn't make me scared.

Maybe it's because I grew up around/on farms and in the 'Wild West'. Dying was part of life. Accidents happened. Cousin nearly lost a finger to fan blade on a tractor, my grandfather was hit by lightning while on his tractor in an open field, my father bears scars from trying to capture a beaver that had gotten loose... maybe I'm just more accepting that I could go at any time, and it's not worth losing a year or more hiding in the house, especially when my family is not old (at least I'm going to keep telling myself I'm not old, lol) and is healthy.

Does it have anything to do with party affiliation? It might. Much of the west is Republican and still has that independent streak in much of the population. It's funny how cultural residues hang on in places, even as older generations die out.
I think you're pretty much right on with this. Republicans tend to be skeptical of what the media and Government tells them, righteously so as the media is extremely one sided and openly lies in public. Democrats tend to be sheep to the Media and the Government as it feeds them the BS they want to hear.

Looking at the data however its without a doubt has been manipulated and being used as a fear tactic to control the population and exploited as a weapon for the 2020 election. I did know one person who died from Covid very early on, he was my friends Dad in his 70's who had diabetes, overweight and a history of strokes. I don't have the exact story of how he died, but my friend was contemplating if he ever had Covid as per his death certificate (Covid Complications) because nobody in the house ever tested positive for it (his wife, him and his wife).

My other friend is a doctor at a hospital down the shore. In the summer he just started inviting us down for pool parties on weekends at his house, basically stating we closed down half the hospital and have at any given time 3 patients for Covid and its not a big a deal as its being made out to be.

Then my mother in law in who is elderly but healthy got it in the nursing home in August, and she toughed it out. Said it was horrible experience (and we stopped by and took care of her) being sick but came out fine after a couple weeks.

What I'm getting at is the data is being significantly manipulated (flu deaths no longer happen) and its being exploiting. For the mass majority of healthy people the survival rates are 99.9% and the younger you are the less risk you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 04:16 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We lost two neighbors, one in NJ just up the street, and one in PA immediately next to us. I know this is going to sound callous, but they were not healthy; both were obese and had high blood pressure, and our neighbor in PA had COPD as well. I'm SO sorry for their families and that this virus took these men from them too early. But that doesn't make me scared.

Maybe it's because I grew up around/on farms and in the 'Wild West'. Dying was part of life. Accidents happened. Cousin nearly lost a finger to fan blade on a tractor, my grandfather was hit by lightning while on his tractor in an open field, my father bears scars from trying to capture a beaver that had gotten loose... maybe I'm just more accepting that I could go at any time, and it's not worth losing a year or more hiding in the house, especially when my family is not old (at least I'm going to keep telling myself I'm not old, lol) and is healthy.

Does it have anything to do with party affiliation? It might. Much of the west is Republican and still has that independent streak in much of the population. It's funny how cultural residues hang on in places, even as older generations die out.
It doesn't make me scared, either. I was in the World Trade Center on 9/11 and pretty much lost most of my fear of death that day.

But, there's more than being scared going on here. When someone gets COVID because they didn't care and were willing to take the risk, they still had to spend time in the hospital putting nurses and doctors in danger with a contagious disease. It's not just about one person and what they think.

A month or so ago we learned that a long time poster and her husband died of COVID a day apart. Early 80s, both of them, but social and active. Although she didn't seem to actually think the virus was a hoax or anything, she was very vocal about not wearing masks or staying home, and as a matter of fact, one of her very last posts on City-Data says that she and her husband were going out for happy hour that night. Six weeks later, they were both dead from COVID.

I don't feel bad. She and her husband forthrightly and deliberately chose to take the risk and engage in the behavior that would cause their deaths, and that was their right. But did she infect anyone else? Did any staff who saw her through to death contract anything? Was it her right to risk another person's health?

Old 02-25-2021, 07:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think so. I mean, yes, some of that would be true, but it's only on the extreme ends that people act that way and really attach themselves to a candidate. I have never in my life so loved a President that I would defend him to death or so despised a President that I wished him dead. They are all politicians who got their jobs because they sold their soul to someone with money who could help them get the job. Even if they got that job by pointing out that they were not a politician like the others. By that time, yes, they were.

I think it's a waste of time at this point to worry about who should have done what and point fingers and blame. That's never been my thing with this whole pandemic. It's a frikken virus, and the virus doesn't care what your politics are. It just wants to reproduce. That's the only function of a virus. We have to stop it from reproducing in whatever way we can, and politics should stay out of it.
i think its mostly subconscious as far as people realizing that their partisanship has impacted their feelings about the rona. i dont even think it requires being any sort of extremist. partisans are basically extremists anyway since they are crazy enough to actually like a politician or think one is substantially better than another. democrats were inclined to feel trump wasnt taking the rona seriously enough because they wanted to put him in a negative light. so they in turn inflated the fear of the coronavirus in their own minds.

while ive seen people pretend that their concern is altruistic, "its not about me, its about giving it to others and overwhelming the hospital system" i dont buy that. i believe that its a calculation about someones own concern about themselves and democrats have been manipulated into increasing their own risk factor in that calculation. plenty of republicans have done the opposite for the same reason. neither of them know it.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its mostly subconscious as far as people realizing that their partisanship has impacted their feelings about the rona. i dont even think it requires being any sort of extremist. partisans are basically extremists anyway since they are crazy enough to actually like a politician or think one is substantially better than another. democrats were inclined to feel trump wasnt taking the rona seriously enough because they wanted to put him in a negative light. so they in turn inflated the fear of the coronavirus in their own minds.

while ive seen people pretend that their concern is altruistic, "its not about me, its about giving it to others and overwhelming the hospital system" i dont buy that. i believe that its a calculation about someones own concern about themselves and democrats have been manipulated into increasing their own risk factor in that calculation. plenty of republicans have done the opposite for the same reason. neither of them know it.
Nah, I am not worried about catching it myself, but the idea that it's about giving it to others is simply logical to me. It's got nothing to do with altruism. I am not that type of person by nature. It just makes sense not to overwhelm the health system.

I'm reading The Great Influenza, about 1918, and that's what happened.

Also, as a sidebar because it's stuck in my head and I want it to be stuck in yours, too, one odd feature of the 1918 influenza patients was that they developed subcutaneous pockets of air that had escaped from their ruptured lungs.

When the nurses turned the patients, they would make a crackling sound that one nurse likened to the sound of Rice Krispies. For the rest of her life, she could not be around someone eating Rice Krispies because it would take her back.

I wonder what odd stories the medical people will have to tell from COVID.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
It doesn't make me scared, either. I was in the World Trade Center on 9/11 and pretty much lost most of my fear of death that day.

But, there's more than being scared going on here. When someone gets COVID because they didn't care and were willing to take the risk, they still had to spend time in the hospital putting nurses and doctors in danger with a contagious disease. It's not just about one person and what they think or their own injury that they are risking. With a virus, you put other people at risk.

A month or so ago we learned that a long time poster and her husband died of COVID a day apart. Early 80s, both of them, but social and active. Although she didn't seem to actually think the virus was a hoax or anything, she was very vocal about not wearing masks or staying home, and as a matter of fact, one of her very last posts on City-Data says that she and her husband were going out for happy hour that night. Six weeks later, they were both dead from COVID.

I don't feel bad. She and her husband forthrightly and deliberately chose to take the risk and engage in the behavior that would cause their deaths, and that was their right. But did she infect anyone else? Did she go to a grocery store when she was contagious? Did any medical staff who saw her last days through to death contract anything? Was it her right to risk another person's health?
I didn't know the backstory to their deaths. I didn't run in the same circles as she did, I used to when we 1st joined so I knew who she was.

It's not worth it to me to go out like that. Thankfully our state has mask laws.

Hopefully the OP will see your post and realize what could happen for a few hours of fun.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:58 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Nah, I am not worried about catching it myself, but the idea that it's about giving it to others is simply logical to me. It's got nothing to do with altruism. I am not that type of person by nature. It just makes sense not to overwhelm the health system.

I'm reading The Great Influenza, about 1918, and that's what happened.

Also, as a sidebar because it's stuck in my head and I want it to be stuck in yours, too, one odd feature of the 1918 influenza patients was that they developed subcutaneous pockets of air that had escaped from their ruptured lungs.

When the nurses turned the patients, they would make a crackling sound that one nurse likened to the sound of Rice Krispies. For the rest of her life, she could not be around someone eating Rice Krispies because it would take her back.

I wonder what odd stories the medical people will have to tell from COVID.

They had Rice Krispies in 1918?

Old 02-26-2021, 07:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I think you're pretty much right on with this. Republicans tend to be skeptical of what the media and Government tells them, righteously so as the media is extremely one sided and openly lies in public. Democrats tend to be sheep to the Media and the Government as it feeds them the BS they want to hear.

Looking at the data however its without a doubt has been manipulated and being used as a fear tactic to control the population and exploited as a weapon for the 2020 election. I did know one person who died from Covid very early on, he was my friends Dad in his 70's who had diabetes, overweight and a history of strokes. I don't have the exact story of how he died, but my friend was contemplating if he ever had Covid as per his death certificate (Covid Complications) because nobody in the house ever tested positive for it (his wife, him and his wife).

My other friend is a doctor at a hospital down the shore. In the summer he just started inviting us down for pool parties on weekends at his house, basically stating we closed down half the hospital and have at any given time 3 patients for Covid and its not a big a deal as its being made out to be.

Then my mother in law in who is elderly but healthy got it in the nursing home in August, and she toughed it out. Said it was horrible experience (and we stopped by and took care of her) being sick but came out fine after a couple weeks.

What I'm getting at is the data is being significantly manipulated (flu deaths no longer happen) and its being exploiting. For the mass majority of healthy people the survival rates are 99.9% and the younger you are the less risk you have.
Covid is gonna be with us so people better get the vaccine or be healthy enough. Cold viruses have often go through offices like wildfire and cause many people to take sick days. So if you are one of those that called out sick because you really are very sick then you need to get the vaccine. So far from the people I know that got covid. 2 have died and 8-10 just had flu like bouts but no hospital. If only people wore the mask at an early stage the spread could've been limited like how Asia is only a few hundred deaths.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
They had Rice Krispies in 1918?
No. I had the same question, and I looked it up. Rice Krispies didn't come out until 1928.

Now I want to write to the author and call him on that. I can see the person saying that later Rice Krispies reminded her of the sound, but the author should have been clearer on that.

He's a-gonna hear from me, I tell ya what.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
No. I had the same question, and I looked it up. Rice Krispies didn't come out until 1928.

Now I want to write to the author and call him on that. I can see the person saying that later Rice Krispies reminded her of the sound, but the author should have been clearer on that.

He's a-gonna hear from me, I tell ya what.
its a scandal!!!

Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a scandal!!!
Fake News!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey