U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter (1 year old) and I are planning to move from the city to Bergen County and are seeking advice on towns. Post covid, we will both be commuting into the city so accessibility to transportation is important (we are open to train or bus).

We are both Irish Catholic and would like to find an area where there is a well-attended Catholic church.

Public schools are important to us, as we plan to have more children although our child does not need to be at the #1 public school in the county.

We would like to find a neighborhood where we are friends with our neighbors and there is a true sense of community.

I grew up in Demarest and I do get the sense that the town has changed over the last 15 years, and although a relatively easy drive to the city, I am not totally sure we would fit in.

We are less concerned with budget, as we believe we can afford a newer small home on a small piece of property or a fixer upper on a larger piece of property, and are open to both.

People have suggested Ridgewood, Glen Rock and Haworth to us. How would you compare the towns? Which town do you think would make sense based on our above criteria? I am familiar with the town of Haworth however it has been a while since I've lived in the area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 08:00 PM

285 posts, read 104,244 times
All of them have expensive property taxes

In terms of schooling Ridgewood is the best due to large Asian population.

But it is a high pressure environment where positive feedback is less important than the struggle and long term outcomes. Can your child cope with long term gain but short term pain where they do worse on paper than they should be doing?

I would go with Paramus. 5th cheapest property taxes in the county( the other 4 are ultra rich towns). In fact property taxes were cut for 2020. Strong commercial/shopping base keeping rate at 1.5%.

Best homes with a new construction housing boom.

Commute easy.

Schools above average but getting better each year due to increasing Asian population. By the time your daughter gets to middle school it should 8/10, and high school 9/10.

Large population so you should fit in (almost 30,000 people)

Great community activities etc.

Instead of buying a fixer upper... the Paramus boom ensures you will find a house to your liking new or almost new

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:30 AM

487 posts, read 746,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post

I would go with Paramus. 5th cheapest property taxes in the county( the other 4 are ultra rich towns). In fact property taxes were cut for 2020. Strong commercial/shopping base keeping rate at 1.5%.
Paramus does not have a train station (in case that matters)

Old 02-26-2021, 11:35 AM

3,672 posts, read 1,394,937 times
Why don't you think you would fit in in Demarest? That will give some idea of which town would better suit you.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:22 PM

3,257 posts, read 9,145,060 times
I grew up in the area (RW) and am also potentially moving back. I can tell you that when I was there, lots of kids in CCD and growing up in the church. Can't speak to today.

Just off the top of my head, and in my opinion, RW and GR are probably neck and neck (I think they say RW has slightly better schools, but I know people from both so jury out on that.... I went to RHS). GR smaller town and probably (very slightly) less expensive. Hawthorn is 3rd out of the 3.

Are you commuting to nyc? Or .. will you be? Thats pretty key I think.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:02 PM

271 posts, read 82,565 times
how can you compare Haworth with these towns. I would think you need to drive through them to see that you can't compare Ridgewood and Haworth.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:37 PM

3,257 posts, read 9,145,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
how can you compare Haworth with these towns. I would think you need to drive through them to see that you can't compare Ridgewood and Haworth.
you cant, but if budget is an issue...

Old 02-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Why don't you think you would fit in in Demarest? That will give some idea of which town would better suit you.
The town feels much less community oriented than it previously did. For example, St. Joseph's was previously the Catholic Church in Demarest. A few years ago, it was converted to a Korean Church. I visited the Demarest Swim Club two years ago and there were very few children. I got the sense that it is more used by senior citizens. There were some children that went to sleepaway camp when I lived there but it now seems like an increasing number go away. I know Haworth is only a town away, but it feels like there is more of a community - I have heard the same about Glen Rock and Ridgewood.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
I have driven through all three towns (although admittedly am less familiar with Ridgewood and Glen Rock), and I do think there is a section of Haworth (near Brooke Shields' old house and the country club) where there are nice, old colonials - somewhat similar aesthetically to parts of Ridgewood.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I grew up in the area (RW) and am also potentially moving back. I can tell you that when I was there, lots of kids in CCD and growing up in the church. Can't speak to today.

Just off the top of my head, and in my opinion, RW and GR are probably neck and neck (I think they say RW has slightly better schools, but I know people from both so jury out on that.... I went to RHS). GR smaller town and probably (very slightly) less expensive. Hawthorn is 3rd out of the 3.

Are you commuting to nyc? Or .. will you be? Thats pretty key I think.
Thanks so much, this is really helpful! We both are commuting to NYC, but post covid, we think that we both may have increased flexibility. We would likely take advantage of the train lines in GR and RW, but could also drive via 9W / Palisades Parkway from Haworth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey