Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:35 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So I'll make sure to have my dollar bills and quarters ready as usual...
Since you have to pass through NY State on your way to CT, it is possible that you might not need cash for tolls. A couple of years ago, NY instituted Cashless Tolling on the Thruway and on some toll bridges. Gantry-mounted cameras located over the old toll plaza (the toll booths are gone!) photograph license plates, and you receive a bill in the mail a few weeks later. I know from experience that it works very well.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/billing.html

And, even though CT doesn't yet have Cashless Tolling, they will apparently implement it in the future:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOT/do...verviewpdf.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 06:55 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Since you have to pass through NY State on your way to CT, it is possible that you might not need cash for tolls. A couple of years ago, NY instituted Cashless Tolling on the Thruway and on some toll bridges. Gantry-mounted cameras located over the old toll plaza (the toll booths are gone!) photograph license plates, and you receive a bill in the mail a few weeks later. I know from experience that it works very well.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/billing.html

And, even though CT doesn't yet have Cashless Tolling, they will apparently implement it in the future:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOT/do...verviewpdf.pdf
Thanks, I’ll check these out!

Old 11-24-2021, 06:57 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They will do that if you have an account. One time I absentmindedly drove through the Exact Change one at my exit, and another time through the take-a-ticket entrance on the Turnpike, and they just charged my account based on my plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think you are correct.
If you have an existing account and then you can even add a car, say one of the kids gets a different license plate and drives through a few tolls.
The GSP for instance will want $50 EXTRA each time, each toll. IF you have an exisiting account you can place that car/license plate toll violations thorough your account and they knock off the $50 extra fee.

But I think if you drive through and dont have access to an existing account then you might be stuck paying the extra $50 for each toll, as I remember it. And yeah I'd be PO'd at that. I don't even like the concept of tolls themselves but paying $50 extra makes a person peed off for sure.
Right. But I don’t have the transponder yet, so I’m not taking any chances.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I do, but it was a long time ago.

I remember opening the car door to pick up the quarters from the ground that people missed throwing in the change basket. They used to have a sign when the GSP tolls were 25 cents that said if you miss the basket, honk your horn and drive on. If the attendant hadn't gotten out there, there were usually two or three quarters on the ground. Free tolls!

Think our tolls are bad? A couple of months ago I had to take someone on a trip to a medical facility in Mississauga, outside of Toronto using the 407 highway, a bypass to get around Toronto traffic. You pay for that privilege. You are automatically billed by your license plate. Round trip toll was $89, including the 13% HST (sales tax).

(Of course, there was no charge to the Canadian for the PET scan because of that tax.)
We don't have any toll highways here in BC any longer. In my lifetime, I only know of one, the Coquihalla, which was $10, for the 540 K drive. They removed it in 2008 since the construction costs had been recovered.

We also had some bridges in the burbs that had tolls, now gone.

The fee system was very simple. I'm shocked at what you had to pay, and a quick look at the fees in Ontario got my head spinning?

https://www.on407.ca/en/tolls/rate-c...-complete.html

Old 11-24-2021, 03:15 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Round trip toll was $89, including the 13% HST (sales tax).

(Of course, there was no charge to the Canadian for the PET scan because of that tax.)
Many years ago, I was taking a road trip through Eastern Canada, and I stopped at a retail store to buy some much-needed aspirin. When the price that was rung-up turned out to be a LOT higher than the price listed on the shelf label, I questioned the cashier about the total cost.

The cashier assumed that I was a Canadian, and she said something along the lines of... How else do you expect the government to pay for your free healthcare? Being an outsider (literally) I didn't argue with her, and when I exited the store, I examined my register receipt, which showed a 16% tax.

Because I traveled through several provinces, I don't recall in which province this took place. It could have been Quebec, or possibly Nova Scotia, or maybe it was New Brunswick, but I do recall that the tax on that purchase was 16%.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, I was taking a road trip through Eastern Canada, and I stopped at a retail store to buy some much-needed aspirin. When the price that was rung-up turned out to be a LOT higher than the price listed on the shelf label, I questioned the cashier about the total cost.

The cashier assumed that I was a Canadian, and she said something along the lines of... How else do you expect the government to pay for your free healthcare? Being an outsider (literally) I didn't argue with her, and when I exited the store, I examined my register receipt, which showed a 16% tax.

Because I traveled through several provinces, I don't recall in which province this took place. It could have been Quebec, or possibly Nova Scotia, or maybe it was New Brunswick, but I do recall that the tax on that purchase was 16%.
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, like Ontario merged their sales tax with the GST to create a HST ( Harmonized Sales Tax ). They are all 15%.

In BC we didn't, so PST is 7 percent, GST is 5 percent, and those taxes aren't on everything.

Alberta has no sales tax, so just 5 percent GST on certain items.

The cashier was having a bit of a go, or perhaps didn't understand that sales tax is not how the majority of healthcare is funded in Canada.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:51 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
And I probably picked up your quarter, tossed it in the basket, and drove past you and the cops.
you probably did! stay in your own lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey