Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:09 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinprota View Post
lammius - Nice, that's good to hear. What part of NJ are you from, as in North, Central, or South? I've only been to Central NJ aside from a short day trip to North (Hoboken). I think I would rather live in Northern NJ since it's more walkable but I'm not quite sure.

Gerania - But I mean do important things happen in NJ still? I just don't really hear much about it anymore.
It's between New York and Philadelphia. Things happen there. Not much in Sussex or Cumberland but no one (that I know) moves there from another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 07:54 AM

10,480 posts, read 6,991,011 times
1. Do other people move there?
I wouldn't consider NJ being one of those areas where nobody leaves and everyone is into each other business. Do some people never leave? Yes. However, NJ is the most densely populated state and many towns have multiple highschools etc., so no you don't see the same people everyday or have a feeling where everyone knows your business.

Even though NJ has the highest departure of residents leaving in the country (mostly due to taxes, politics, high cost of living) people tend to migrate to Florida or the Carolinas from NJ. There is still an influx of people coming to NJ and i'd break them down into these 3 buckets:

Young Professionals: NJ does have a lot of established businesses, especially in the Pharmaceutical industry which brings in a lot of young college educated professionals and of course NYC. Young professionals tend to migrate to towns like Morristown or Hoboken and if they stay eventually move out further into the suburbs.

Executive Professionals: People who are more advanced in their careers move to NJ to work at a Corporate HQ or in NYC. These people have families, have a very well paying career and NJ has the best education system in the Country, so it works out for them.

Immigrants: NJ probably has the most immigrants (or close to it) in the country. Most immigrants today into the state are from India or Eastern Europe like Poland.

2. Does it have a future?
NJ will have a future, Morris and Hunterdon Counties rank as a couple of the top wealthiest counties in the country due to old money that will stay here, and proximity to NYC. However, in my opinion it won't be as good as the days of the past. NJ has high cost of living, very high taxes and is not business friendly. The current Governor is more interested in bringing Marijuana in the state, raising taxes to support his social agenda over cutting taxes and competing for new business/upstarts. A few established old businesses have already left under the Governor out of state and some are planning to leave which has impacted the state. NJ jobs were hit hard under the Obama Administration with outsourcing into India/China in the Pharmaceutical industry and I suspect it would continue under Biden. So in essence more downside than upside for the future.

3. Is it even that humid during summer?
Humidity isn't overall bad in NJ, however we will get a couple weeks over the summer with high humidity and couple weeks with very low humidity, NJ has very diverse weather and some weeks you will experience all 4 seasons. NJ's third largest industry is actually tourism, and its really one of the best places to be late June - September.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:43 AM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
1. Yes, people move to NJ who aren't from there (I did, for example). Lots of people move to NYC for work, and then make their way out to the suburbs eventually. It's Long Island that only has people who grew up there

2. I wouldn't say that "it's over" for the northeast. Clearly the growth is focused on the south as it has been for the last 20 years. It's basically just people spreading out to where there are less people (and therefore cheaper). That's been going on for centuries. But don't move here if you want something that will reinvent itself every 10-15 years like you would see in TX. You basically know what you're getting - established towns
& cities that are commutable to 2 major megacities.

3. Yes, it can get pretty humid. Probably about the same as you have in IL though. Most of the east coast and midwest are pretty comparable in terms of summer climate.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:26 AM

494 posts, read 368,904 times
1) People don't really move here. the population grows via immigration. Cost of living issues, taxes, and overall quality of life issues are main reason. Most people are too drunk on identity politics to vote Republican/fix the state, and let it flourish. (similar to NY/NYC choosing Republicans in the 80s/90s to save their state after losing millions of people in the 1970s).

2) Very Bleak future. Homes used to appreciate by 8-10% in the 90s. It fell to half that in the 2000s. and now in the 2010's, and current 2020's appreciation is around 1-2% (not even inflation). We are on the rust belt path to becoming nothing (Ohio homes do not appreciate). Bear in mind real estate bubble popped in 2009, and has yet to even break even 12 years later.

3) lol weather isn't an issue. you have all 4 seasons. all the extremes in each season. diversity to the max.

Avoid NJ or think of it as a short term investment to make money/leave.

Focus on states like FL, TX, NC, AZ, GA, UTAH, and NEVADA if you want to be a part of the growth/have a long term future.

The midwest is on life support. and NJ is reaching that stage.

*This short term 'rona spike where people come over from NYC won't last. those lottery ticket cash buyer clowns aren't focused on long term.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Quote:
But I'm not kidding. Here's a screenshot I took on August 24, 2019 of a town in Mercer County. The humidity is 38%. I see that all the time during summer in that area, usually between 35-40%. Where I lived on that day in IL it was 57%.

https://i.imgur.com/0RAVsrF.png
You are looking at a few nice days. If you go to this link and scroll down to the humidity graph you will see the average humidity in Lawrenceville NJ is 74%.

Lawrenceville, NJ Weather - USA.comâ„¢

Old 03-02-2021, 10:13 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
NJ is not comparable to small town IL.

densest population in the union.

sanctuary state attracts illegal aliens

high taxation, people leave after they retire

NJ is treated as a motel for people who want to be 'within and hour's commute of NYC"

Traffic horrendous, especially heading south on the GSP for shore points. Daily grind is more standstill traffic.

Weather is relative to the individual. Not everyone reacts the same to cold , heat or humidity.

highest taxation, highest taxation, highest taxation

NJ has to be the most ethnically divewrse state in the nation

NJ is a one party state run by democrats, so if you embrace high taxes, paying for edu, lawyers and free stuff for illegal aliens and replacing wasted cash for inner cities by the charlatans who run them, you will love NJ.

Where did you ever get the impression NJ is static in regard to population???????????

People never leave??????????????

NJ edu ensures most high school grads leave the state for college.

NJ was the medicine cabinet of the country with so many pharam headquarters located here. Not so much anymore with the globalization craze and dem controlled economy kept in place by voters who traditionally make horrendous choices in selecting elected officials who fleece them.

South Jersey belongs to Philly, northeast NJ belongs to NYC.

Climate diff between north and south J is dramatic. Northwest corner of the state is the snow belt.

Crime centers around the state capitol and camden in the south and newark in the north east.

Gangs galore, check the state police site to find a list of gangs in most cities and counties.

You will feel at home given the number of crooked politicians.

Oh, the sea level is rising and in a short time will be cover half the state. Consider most of southern NJ was underwater for eons. Don't let the 2 million dollar condos being built on the beaches with EPA approval fool you. Well then again, someone is being fooled.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,841,261 times
If you're a liberal, NJ is a good place for you.

I've left multiple times.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
If you're in Illinois, either Jersey or California is an improvement.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:02 PM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
1) People don't really move here. the population grows via immigration.
Huh?

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 03-02-2021 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: What?

Old 03-02-2021, 02:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
I'm planning on moving to either NJ or CA later this year. I can't really decide, but that's not what this thread is about. I just wanted to know some things about NJ.

1. Do other people move there?
I've heard many times that nobody really moves to NJ. It mainly consists of people who grew up there and never leave, and that most of their friends are the ones they went to high school with or whatever. I live in a small town in Illinois and that's what it's like here too. I'm a little tired/bored of it and want to live somewhere else. Too many people know each other and not many leave. My girlfriend and her family live in NJ which is why I'm considering it, so I would at least know people and wouldn't be an outsider (if I move to CA, my girlfriend would move with me). However, it's still just the idea of it that I'm not a fan of, as silly as it sounds. After living in that kind of place all my life, I think I would rather live somewhere with people from all over. I've been to NJ to visit several times over the past few years and loved it, but I don't know how it would end up once I've been there awhile and gotten used to it.

2. Does it have a future?
Another thing I often read is that NJ (and the northeast in general) is basically over. It's old, stagnant, and the future is now moving south. CA, TX, and FL are the future and that's where much of the growth and opportunity is. It just seems like not much happens in NJ anymore and I would be missing out on other places. I've also heard that more people are leaving, the QOL is getting worse and that it will soon become the next Detroit. I don't know if that's true or just an exaggeration. Although, I've also noticed that many people who leave NJ end up wanting to go back because they miss it.

3. Is it even that humid during summer?
It's a common complaint I've seen everywhere, but is it true? Every summer, I compare my weather with Central NJ's where my girlfriend lives. 90% of the time NJ is significantly drier. It's above 50% where I live practically every day, sometimes even above 60%. In NJ, it's always in the 40% range, sometimes even as low as the 30%'s. It blows my mind. There have been days where cloudy NJ is less humid than a sunny, clear-sky Illinois. Unless 30-40% is considered humid in NJ? That's dry to me. I compare the weather almost every day, it's not just an occasional thing. It's just something I'm curious about because even when I've visited during summer, it's always felt pretty nice.

tl;dr

*NJ seems to be a state of people who have always lived there and nobody moves to. Is that the case?
*The future and growth seem to be in southern states. NJ seems old and stagnant.
*I don't get why people say NJ is humid in summer when it's much drier than the Midwest. Usually 60% here vs. 40% in NJ.

I've loved my visits and I could definitely live there, but the first two points I don't really like. Anyway that's all, thanks!
Is this a serious post,honest question?You're comparing "humidity"? Does she live down the shore or in the middle of the State ?
Some of your question are weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey