Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,311 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm moving from the West Coast to Central NJ and I'm considering buying a house with an inground pool. I'm not familiar with the NJ weather, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

The pool is supposedly heated, but I'm assuming in the winter it might be too cold to even consider keeping it uncovered (let alone the cost of running it). But what about the fall and the spring though? Anyone has personal experience with owning a pool in NJ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 07:34 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
heated pool ...May - September 5 months a year

Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
heated pool ...May - September 5 months a year
Thanks! Do you know how much you spend on maintenance per season?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:11 AM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1448125 View Post
Thanks! Do you know how much you spend on maintenance per season?
There are so many variables that come into play, that what one person spends on their pool may be vastly different then from what another spends. Take for instance using a heater, the size of the pool and what temperature you set it at are going a big difference in costs. Also, are you going to swim only on the weekends, or every sunny day? There are also many chemicals like salt, shock, muriatic acid, diatomaceous earth, and conditioner that you may need to add to name a few. And don't forget about electric, water, and gas as well. Bottom line is it's not cheap to own and maintain a pool.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:40 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
There are so many variables that come into play, that what one person spends on their pool may be vastly different then from what another spends. Take for instance using a heater, the size of the pool and what temperature you set it at are going a big difference in costs. Also, are you going to swim only on the weekends, or every sunny day? There are also many chemicals like salt, shock, muriatic acid, diatomaceous earth, and conditioner that you may need to add to name a few. And don't forget about electric, water, and gas as well. Bottom line is it's not cheap to own and maintain a pool.
+1
Additionally, the OP should ask an insurance agent about the extra amount that would have to be paid annually for Homeowner's Insurance when there is a pool on the property.

Without doubt, the exact amount will differ from one insurance company to another, and--possibly--from one region to another, but no insurance company will knowingly take on the additional liability of a pool on the premises without some extra charges on the Homeowner's Insurance policy. The insurance company will likely also specify the type of fence that must be erected around the pool, if none currently exists.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:55 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Vinyl lined pools don't afford much insulation and most of the inground residential pools in the middle atlantic states are vinyl. Fiberglass is much better.

With a tight fitting insulated pool cover and a willingness to spend money on natural gas for pool heating, you could extend the pool season to the middle of November.

If you do lap swimming, look into swim spas. They are very well insulated and you can use them all winter outside.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Hello! I'm moving from the West Coast to Central NJ and I'm considering buying a house with an inground pool. I'm not familiar with the NJ weather, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

The pool is supposedly heated, but I'm assuming in the winter it might be too cold to even consider keeping it uncovered (let alone the cost of running it). But what about the fall and the spring though? Anyone has personal experience with owning a pool in NJ?

Thanks!
Winter temperatures in NJ usually fall into the teens and 20's at night, with highs in the 40's at best. So not only would you not want to go swimming in the winter, but you will absolutely need to drain the pool before freezing weather sets in.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:30 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Winter temperatures in NJ usually fall into the teens and 20's at night, with highs in the 40's at best. So not only would you not want to go swimming in the winter, but you will absolutely need to drain the pool before freezing weather sets in.
You don't drain a pool.

Why Do You Leave Water in Your Pool for Winter?.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:51 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You don't drain a pool.
Please tell that to my neighbor, who creates a mini-Niagara on our street every autumn.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:

Thanks!
My parents' backyard has space for a pool, however, my dad never got one and never recommends people to get one (even if they have kids). He says that when children get older, they use the pool less and less and I understand what he means. He said it is too much maintenance. I used to use the town pool and I used to get invited to my brother's friends pool quite often as a kid. I am glad we didn't have a pool. We have a waterslide, but it gets snakes and gets gross every time we open it up. I don't want to deal with a pool if I have a fear of snakes, worms, and slugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey