Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So you know for a fact that we will be fully protected once vaccinated? Really? You’re going back on the list. Bye.
nobody is guaranteed to be "fully" protected. there is no 100% and if that is what you need then you shouldnt ever expect to go out again. if you go by what is being reported, then if you take the pfizer or moderna vaccines then you should be about 95% protected in some manner. that means protected from people who are infected and spreading. that is the whole point. you cant catch it from people that arent infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:35 AM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
Quote:
I have no idea why what I wrote is confusing. Let's deconstruct:

"if I'm vaccinated, am I protected against any other idiot who chooses not to."

As in chooses not to be vaccinated. I don't think we know yet how protected we are going to actually be against the virus. I would like to think once I am vaccinated I can be footloose and mask free, but I don't think we know yet. Time will tell. Not sure why that's confusing.

"If I am, I don't care if they get vaccinated or not."

If I am fully protected, I don't care if they get vaccinated or not.

Again, not sure why that's confusing.

"If they get someone they love sick, that's on them."

If they are not vaccinated and get someone they love sick by not being vaccinated, that's their responsibility.

Again, not sure where the confusion lies.
Ok, there are two questions regarding the vaccine:

1. Q: If I get vaccinated, can I be infected by an individual infected by COVID?
A: At this point, millions of people have been vaccinated. Practically the entire country of Israel has been vaccinated. They received preferential treatment from Pfizer in exchange for providing Pfizer with huge amount of citizen data (a not uncontroversial decision). The data suggests that the vaccine is even better than 95% effective against the normal strains. Less is known about newer strains. If you are vaccinated, there is an extremely low chance of being infected by someone infected. We know this for a fact. So can you be footloose after vaccination? In theory yes, but I think societal pressure still expects you to play it safe.

2. Q: If I (a vaccinated person) am exposed to an infected person, can I transmit that infection to someone else?
A: This is the question we know less about. This is why mask mandates are still in place for people who have been vaccinated. However, data strongly suggests that vaccinated people cannot transmit the virus to non-vaccinated people.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Ok, there are two questions regarding the vaccine:

1. If you are vaccinated, there is an extremely low chance of being infected by someone infected. We know this for a fact.
If that's true, that's great. I think it's too soon to know that for a fact but hope springs eternal.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
If that's true, that's great. I think it's too soon to know that for a fact but hope springs eternal.
you're welcome!

Old 03-12-2021, 05:02 AM

7,360 posts, read 3,527,265 times
I am very nervous about this. The President just said that if we all are vaccinated we might be able to have a small outdoor gathering with loved ones on July 4th
He didn't say anything about bars or indoor dining.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:27 AM

98 posts, read 175,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody is guaranteed to be "fully" protected. there is no 100% and if that is what you need then you shouldnt ever expect to go out again. if you go by what is being reported, then if you take the pfizer or moderna vaccines then you should be about 95% protected in some manner. that means protected from people who are infected and spreading. that is the whole point. you cant catch it from people that arent infected.
Yes and based on data seen from around the world, these vaccines are supposedly just about 100% effective in preventing severe cases or deaths, so even with the slim chance of still catching rona after full vaccination, should almost definitely be asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taalman1 View Post
Yes and based on data seen from around the world, these vaccines are supposedly just about 100% effective in preventing severe cases or deaths, so even with the slim chance of still catching rona after full vaccination, should almost definitely be asymptomatic or mild symptoms.
This works.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:09 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
It has to do with virus load. If you are vaccinated you can get the virus but it will not be as “toxic”. That means it will be harder for you to spread to others and harder for it to take hold within your own body and become a serious illness. This is probably true for all variants also but there could always be a super strong variant. The sooner we all get vaccinated the likelihood that a super strong variant becomes rampant in a community is minimized. It is the reason why the govt is working so hard to spread the vaccine around to all communities.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:22 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:
If you choose to not get vaccinated and are near/live with someone else who is also not vaccinated, they could get sick. You could have the virus and not know it.

I don't understand why this is confusing.

Yes, but the idea is, they have the choice to get vaccinated as well.

Free will is a great thing.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Yes, but the idea is, they have the choice to get vaccinated as well.

Free will is a great thing.
That was never an issue and irrelevant. The discussion revolved around the efficacy of the vaccine. Period. If someone chooses not to get vaccinated that is their choice but there could be consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey