Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,807 times

Advertisements

Currently looking at houses in Verona (as well as Maplewood, South Orange, and Cranford). I have a specific question about the public transit from Verona area, as we would be dual commuters (currently WFH) into NYC (midtown – Times Sq. and Rock Center) with two young kids. I know from this board and speaking with people in the area that the most straightforward options are the DeCamp bus from Bloomfield or 195X up on Pompton Ave and Ridge Rd. However, I also am aware that DeCamp suspended service during COVID and I do not see any updates that indicate if/when they will resume service. I also have read the mixed reviews on this board about the bus commute, especially DeCamp. Therefore, I have been looking at options to get to the train from a neighboring town.

There are some posts from several years back talking about taking the Nos. 29 or 11 bus to the Glen Ridge train station. I also saw several older posts discussing driving to the Walnut and Bay Street Stations and parking on a daily basis. I am hoping to hear about some more recent experiences to see how manageable this commute would be on a daily basis (hoping to keep it close to or under an hour door-to-door but am realistic it may be more). Also, I am sure things have changed due to WFH during the pandemic, so I would be interested in hearing about this type of commute pre-COVID as well during the past year.

Questions for the bus to train:
- If taking the 11 or 29 bus to Glen Ridge train, how reliable are those bus lines?
- Are buses often delayed?
- Is the bus often full?
- How long does it take during rush hour in morning (say from Bloomfield at Park for the 29 and Pompton Ave and Martin Rd for the 11)?
- Is there a time in the morning when this becomes more difficult/impossible due to traffic?
- Is it difficult to make a train departure due to unpredictability of traffic or delays with bus?
- Do the buses cross-honor a train pass (I think so if it’s one zone?)

Questions for driving to train stations:
- If driving to Bay St. or Walnut St. stations (or any others), do you pay daily or monthly?
- If monthly, how long are wait lists for a pass?
- What time do you have to arrive to get a spot – especially for daily spots if different than monthly?
- Google maps indicates about a 10-15 min drive from most areas of Verona to these stations – is that realistic during morning rush hour?

Are there any other options that have started recently, such as app based for parking at train stations or ride-sharing from Verona to the train stations (however unlikely during COVID)? I have heard about some options like this in other towns (Boxcar transit in Cranford was one heard about in 2019).

Any other insights into commute from Verona to NYC would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 08:57 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
There was the decamp but it ceased service. I’d imagine if volume picks up it would come back. Pre covid the wait lists at the Montclair stations were very long. The NJ transit bus would take you to Newark Penn and there you could catch the path. You could also consider parking in Harrison. Look at the next town over, West Orange which has jitney services to the train. The towns you mentioned all have train service which would make it more ideal than Verona.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:06 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I used to commute from Caldwell which had no stations. Montclair was an option, however parking was not available (not sure if things changed over the decade). The best options I found were to park at Harrison and take the path or Jersey City and take the path.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,807 times
Thanks for the responses dannyhobkins and nykstevennyg

Old 03-18-2021, 05:51 AM

53 posts, read 63,133 times
My guess is if decamp doesn’t return nj transit takes over those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey