Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

https://www.edfin.net/post/list-of-c...-or-until-2024 .

From 2019 ................

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/e...7c846f70c.html

Regardless, the move to drop standardized test scores is becoming more mainstream.

More than a thousand colleges and universities across the U.S. are test-optional, according to the National Center for Fair and Open Testing, which pushes institutions to adopt test-optional policies.

The practice, first adopted by mostly smaller, liberal arts colleges, is gaining steam at a few public universities, such as the University of New Hampshire and Indiana State University, and at the elite University of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 12:35 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
https://www.edfin.net/post/list-of-c...-or-until-2024 .

From 2019 ................

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/e...7c846f70c.html

Regardless, the move to drop standardized test scores is becoming more mainstream.

More than a thousand colleges and universities across the U.S. are test-optional, according to the National Center for Fair and Open Testing, which pushes institutions to adopt test-optional policies.

The practice, first adopted by mostly smaller, liberal arts colleges, is gaining steam at a few public universities, such as the University of New Hampshire and Indiana State University, and at the elite University of Chicago.
I don’t disagree, really, but am posting to caution parents out there not to ditch the tests just yet. From your article “To earn admission to certain programs, such as nursing, or to be considered for some scholarships, however, the college still requires submission of test scores.”

Perhaps for that reason, as well as because it’s still traditional, there’s this bit as well: “Troyer said other institutions that have gone test-optional still receive test scores from an average of about three-fourths of its applicants.”

The advice we received was that grade inflation, Zoom/remote “cheating” and other issues mean that with similar applications on the desk, an admissions official would probably be inclined to take the applicant who had scores available, in the specific case of engineering/STEM majors.

Funny side notes: 1) My oldest daughter went to UW Madison, 2) It’s my younger daughter’s test scores that have led to her being recruited by University of Chicago - the “elite” institution mentioned in the article.

That said, her grades are likely not good enough for her to get in. If she were to apply, that’s certainly in the ‘reach’ school category. I was talking to out neighbor about all this and said she “only has a 3.9 GPA”. Neighbor didn’t realize that top-tier schools have average applicant GPAs in the 4.2-4.8 range, due to weighted courses. I didn’t realize, either, until last year. This wasn’t prevalent when my oldest was applying to schools. Had I known, we would have encouraged her to take honors English and APUSH (advanced placement US history), which is a two-year course beginning sophomore year.

My youngest, at least, might benefit from what we’ve learned.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Yes , I realize I'm being experimental here but here is a thought , use the students grades! GPA , the students actual record in school! What you need to look at is why are Universities and Colleges dropping those tests?
im not sure why you would want to use just the grades when you can use grades and standardized tests. im not sure why anyone would want to drop standardized tests unless they perform poorly on them. grades make it a lot harder to judge people on a level playing field. when it comes to standardized tests, everyone is taking the same test so its easy to compare.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:19 PM

821 posts, read 774,895 times
Quote:
That's where the actual interview process comes in.
not every candidate gets interviewed, I don't think I had any interviews for any of the schools that I got into.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:23 PM

821 posts, read 774,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I don’t disagree, really, but am posting to caution parents out there not to ditch the tests just yet. From your article “To earn admission to certain programs, such as nursing, or to be considered for some scholarships, however, the college still requires submission of test scores.”

Perhaps for that reason, as well as because it’s still traditional, there’s this bit as well: “Troyer said other institutions that have gone test-optional still receive test scores from an average of about three-fourths of its applicants.”

The advice we received was that grade inflation, Zoom/remote “cheating” and other issues mean that with similar applications on the desk, an admissions official would probably be inclined to take the applicant who had scores available, in the specific case of engineering/STEM majors.

Funny side notes: 1) My oldest daughter went to UW Madison, 2) It’s my younger daughter’s test scores that have led to her being recruited by University of Chicago - the “elite” institution mentioned in the article.

That said, her grades are likely not good enough for her to get in. If she were to apply, that’s certainly in the ‘reach’ school category. I was talking to out neighbor about all this and said she “only has a 3.9 GPA”. Neighbor didn’t realize that top-tier schools have average applicant GPAs in the 4.2-4.8 range, due to weighted courses. I didn’t realize, either, until last year. This wasn’t prevalent when my oldest was applying to schools. Had I known, we would have encouraged her to take honors English and APUSH (advanced placement US history), which is a two-year course beginning sophomore year.

My youngest, at least, might benefit from what we’ve learned.
I agree with this 100%. Unless your scores are bad, it would make sense to submit them. Anything to differentiate you from other candidates.

If you take the SAT and get a 1600, that's another notch on your belt. If you get a 1000 where that school's average test score is 1400+, then don't submit it.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
not every candidate gets interviewed, I don't think I had any interviews for any of the schools that I got into.
Speaking from my experience of 30 years as a high school counselor, I can verify that only a small percentage of applicants are actually interviewed, and that includes both The Ivies and the near-Ivies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Unless your scores are bad, it would make sense to submit them. Anything to differentiate you from other candidates.

If you take the SAT and get a 1600, that's another notch on your belt. If you get a 1000 where that school's average test score is 1400+, then don't submit it.
Exactly!

Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I thought SATs were done? My opinion was that it never really showed how "smart" or educated someone was. Only how good of a test taker or how prepared they were in a prep course.
This is true of all standardized testing.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:20 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Speaking from my experience of 30 years as a high school counselor, I can verify that only a small percentage of applicants are actually interviewed, and that includes both The Ivies and the near-Ivies.

Exactly!
Yes, and schools receive so many applications these days that many of them (at least that my daughter and I have seen so far) don’t even accept letters of recommendation. She still has to line up two teachers/mentors to write them, though. And apparently I have “homework” now. Have to fill out a parent questionnaire that begins with “If you could write the first few sentences of your child’s letter of recommendation, what would you write?”

It’s harder than I thought it would be, even though I (of course) think my daughter is wonderful. “How does your child stand out as an individual at [school name]” is easier so that part is done, along with another section. My dislike of writing isn’t helping.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:59 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yes, and schools receive so many applications these days that many of them (at least that my daughter and I have seen so far) don’t even accept letters of recommendation. She still has to line up two teachers/mentors to write them, though.
I think that the main reason for many colleges not wanting recommendation letters at this point is that so many of those letters were obvious "form" letters. Over the years, I lost a lot of respect for several faculty members who had one letter of recommendation, on which they would simply change student names when necessary. After seeing the exact same letters countless times, an admissions officer would simply ignore them, and--IMHO--might actually be annoyed by having them submitted.

And then we had the students and parents who thought that if one or two letters of recommendation were good, then 10, or 12, or 15 letters would be even better. I even had students who brought letters of recommendation from people who had been their Brownie or Cub Scout leader, but who had not laid eyes on the student for the past 7 or 8 years. Or, how about semi-literate letters of recommendation from neighbors?

Between the sheer volume of obvious form letters and letters from people who couldn't provide appropriate or up-to-date information about the student, is it any wonder that some/many colleges don't even want to see those letters anymore?

Old 04-16-2021, 01:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
The other thing I would say is that if you went to a crap high school and your SAT sucks, or you just bombed the test, and it prevents you from getting you into 'this' school that you REALLY want to go to, then just take a year off and study for it.

Heck, take 4 years off.

I mean, is there really and difference in going to college at age 18 versus 22? Other than the 'social' reasons of course.

Silliness, all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey