Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 08:43 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times

Advertisements

Check out the results here: https://www.nj.com/education/2021/04...ool-in-nj.html

A few observations...

The highest combined Verbal/Math score for a “gen pop” high school was 1345 at West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North. Sorry, Millburn.

Go JP Stevens! I know it’s always been a very good school and serves the Northern/“Rich” part of Edison, but a 1300 combined score? Impressive! That’s one point less than Princeton and higher than Tenafly, Ridgewood, and a bunch of other fancier towns.

Fair Lawn beat Ramsey, Ramapo, Pascack Valley, and Paramus. Take that, you fancy-schmancy Bergen County towns.

How ‘bout Mount Olive? They seem to be on the rise. 1141 combined score, one point higher than Sparta, and 22 points higher than Roxbury. I always thought Roxbury’s schools had a little better reputation than Mount Olive’s. Higher than wealthier Pascack Valley and Paramus too. Ain’t that a blip? I have noticed that real estate prices have jacked up considerably in Mount Olive recently. It’s still way cheaper than the Bergen County towns, of course, but I believe the town is more expensive than Roxbury now, despite the similar income levels and approximately 5 mile longer distance to NYC.

The scores are bad exactly in the schools where you think they’d be bad. Scores at East Orange STEM and Newark Technology are quite disappointing for specialized schools. Scores at Central and Barringer are abysmal.

Well, that’s all I got for now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Check out the results here: https://www.nj.com/education/2021/04...ool-in-nj.html

A few observations...

The highest combined Verbal/Math score for a “gen pop” high school was 1345 at West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North. Sorry, Millburn.

Go JP Stevens! I know it’s always been a very good school and serves the Northern/“Rich” part of Edison, but a 1300 combined score? Impressive! That’s one point less than Princeton and higher than Tenafly, Ridgewood, and a bunch of other fancier towns.

Fair Lawn beat Ramsey, Ramapo, Pascack Valley, and Paramus. Take that, you fancy-schmancy Bergen County towns.

How ‘bout Mount Olive? They seem to be on the rise. 1141 combined score, one point higher than Sparta, and 22 points higher than Roxbury. I always thought Roxbury’s schools had a little better reputation than Mount Olive’s. Higher than wealthier Pascack Valley and Paramus too. Ain’t that a blip? I have noticed that real estate prices have jacked up considerably in Mount Olive recently. It’s still way cheaper than the Bergen County towns, of course, but I believe the town is more expensive than Roxbury now, despite the similar income levels and approximately 5 mile longer distance to NYC.

The scores are bad exactly in the schools where you think they’d be bad. Scores at East Orange STEM and Newark Technology are quite disappointing for specialized schools. Scores at Central and Barringer are abysmal.

Well, that’s all I got for now...
First why is not in the education forums and two you do realize many schools are ditching the SAT's ? Did you read your own link? It says "some data was not available from some schools".

Old 04-13-2021, 08:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
I thought SATs were done? My opinion was that it never really showed how "smart" or educated someone was. Only how good of a test taker or how prepared they were in a prep course.

When I was a Junior in highschool I took the SATs in spring and did pretty awful. Took prep courses over the summer and increased the score by 30% and was ranked top 20%. I dont believe I was any more smart but just prepared for the types of questions offered.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 AM

821 posts, read 775,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
First why is not in the education forums and two you do realize many schools are ditching the SAT's ? Did you read your own link? It says "some data was not available from some schools".
To be fair to the OP, he/she posted in the NJ Forum since it's SAT results from NJ schools.

Personally, I think there needs to be some form of standardized testing or other factor to equitably judge all candidates.

True, you may not be a great test taker, but if you are valedictorian of your high school and you only score a 1000 on your SAT, yes you are still smart but you'll probably be behind the other students when you get into college especially if you go to a top tier college like Harvard, etc.

It's not that the students aren't smart, it's that the quality of their schooling prior to college wasn't as good.

For example, someone I know went to a very lowly ranked high school. He went to Harvard and although he was valedictorian of his high school, he was really behind the other students in his Harvard class. He eventually ended up transferring out.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 AM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
To be fair to the OP, he/she posted in the NJ Forum since it's SAT results from NJ schools.

Personally, I think there needs to be some form of standardized testing or other factor to equitably judge all candidates.

True, you may not be a great test taker, but if you are valedictorian of your high school and you only score a 1000 on your SAT, yes you are still smart but you'll probably be behind the other students when you get into college especially if you go to a top tier college like Harvard, etc.

It's not that the students aren't smart, it's that the quality of their schooling prior to college wasn't as good.

For example, someone I know went to a very lowly ranked high school. He went to Harvard and although he was valedictorian of his high school, he was really behind the other students in his Harvard class. He eventually ended up transferring out.
People dont fail Harvard, they drop out. Getting into Harvard is more about who you are and your family versus your academics. The studies arent as rigorous as one would think and grading has eased up significantly, some ivy leagues dont even offer grades but a pass or fail. Was reading a book last year where the average GPA in Harvard in 1975 was a 2.4 and in 2020 it was like a 3.65. The benefit of Ivy league is just about the network and developing relationships with other well to do connected people to ensure generational family wealth is maintained.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
People dont fail Harvard, they drop out. Getting into Harvard is more about who you are and your family versus your academics. The studies arent as rigorous as one would think and grading has eased up significantly, some ivy leagues dont even offer grades but a pass or fail. Was reading a book last year where the average GPA in Harvard in 1975 was a 2.4 and in 2020 it was like a 3.65. The benefit of Ivy league is just about the network and developing relationships with other well to do connected people to ensure generational family wealth is maintained.
This was in the late 1990s. He was a diversity candidate coming out of an inner city school district, however, he was still the Valedictorian there.

It's not that Harvard grades hard, it's that generally the caliber of student is much higher than lower tiered schools. True, a lot of people get in because of who they know, but they still had a lot more resources at their high school that a lot of the inner city kids didn't have.

Someone who is middle of the road at Phillips Exeter Academy or Stuyvesant HS is probably still leaps and bounds ahead of the top students at some lowly ranked high school just because of the quality of their education.

My point is that if you get rid of the SATs or standardized testing in general, you won't have anything to equitably compare each student in a normalized way.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Nope, it's the reason Colleges and Universities are dropping the SAT and ACT test. They just don't prove a persons worth in the classroom. Many schools only use them to divide money but few use them to accept a student, they mean squat. except for the financials.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
No, not even close.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Nope, it's the reason Colleges and Universities are dropping the SAT and ACT test. They just don't prove a persons worth in the classroom. Many schools only use them to divide money but few use them to accept a student, they mean squat. except for the financials.
What do you suggest colleges/universities use then?

Have you done extensive research on this topic?

Old 04-13-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
What do you suggest colleges/universities use then?

Have you done extensive research on this topic?
Yes , I realize I'm being experimental here but here is a thought , use the students grades! GPA , the students actual record in school! What you need to look at is why are Universities and Colleges dropping those tests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey