Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 03:03 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, 1200RT, there is a new commitment to minority rights in the US, and you are clearly in the minority on this issue.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
I am fully vaccinated. When I told my waitress at the jazz club I was at last night that I was confused as to what the protocols were now after having not been “out” for a while, she laughed and said she was also fully vaccinated, that I “couldn’t get her sick” and if I didn’t want to wear it during the show, that was fine with her. I was also enclosed in a plexiglass cube which was actually kind of fun. The club was so small you could see and hear everything, so it wasn’t an issue.

That said, I would say more people than not were wearing masks walking around outside, but it was refreshing to see some who weren’t. I pulled mine down whenever there was no one within say, 100 feet of me.

I think masks worked and are absolutely necessary if you are not vaccinated for whatever reason and around others who aren’t. I think it’s a huge disservice to society not to get vaccinated but I accept all the reasons why, sane and not so sane and the rest of us will carry you over the finish line, whatever that looks like, but I’m not wearing a mask outside as soon as we’re as close to herd immunity as we can get, for what’s left of the rest of my life.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Don't worry, 1200RT, there is a new commitment to minority rights in the US, and you are clearly in the minority on this issue.

To be clear, I am not anti mask. Its clear masks work in/under certain circumstances. There are common sense policies that need to prevail, however, and the righteous (on both sides) are to blame for the situation we're in now.

As I said earlier in this thread, what has happened, unfortunately, is we've turned mask wearing into binary "on or off", where if you're not seen wearing a mask, you're seen as bad, regardless of surrounding circumstances. And thats simply not what the science says. Same goes for forcefully kicking families off planes when young children wont keep masks on.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I’m not wearing a mask outside as soon as we’re as close to herd immunity as we can get, for what’s left of the rest of my life.
A couple of days ago, I was taking my usual power-walk along the D&R Canal, and I happened to encounter my Mayor, who is also a Neurologist M.D. When I am on these walks, my mask is always in "chin guard" position until I see that someone is approaching, and at that point I raise my mask to cover my nose and mouth. My M.D. Mayor--and his wife--were wearing their masks on a continual basis, so I am glad that I took the precaution of raising my mask when I saw them in the distance.

Anyway... because I am on a first-name basis with the Mayor, I asked him for his opinion on the "masks do nothing" folks. Because this is a family-oriented forum, I can't repeat some of his more colorful words regarding those folks, but suffice it to say that he reaffirmed current medical opinions regarding the advisability of masking protocols, even when one is outside.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
A couple of days ago, I was taking my usual power-walk along the D&R Canal, and I happened to encounter my Mayor, who is also a Neurologist M.D. When I am on these walks, my mask is always in "chin guard" position until I see that someone is approaching, and at that point I raise my mask to cover my nose and mouth. My M.D. Mayor--and his wife--were wearing their masks on a continual basis, so I am glad that I took the precaution of raising my mask when I saw them in the distance.

Anyway... because I am on a first-name basis with the Mayor, I asked him for his opinion on the "masks do nothing" folks. Because this is a family-oriented forum, I can't repeat some of his more colorful words regarding those folks, but suffice it to say that he reaffirmed current medical opinions regarding the advisability of masking protocols, even when one is outside.

I never said masks do nothing, in fact just the opposite.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I never said masks do nothing, in fact just the opposite.
I wasn't actually responding to you. In error, I quoted you, rather than the trolls who insist that "masks do nothing". I know that--unlike the trolls who infest this forum--you don't think that you "know more than the doctors".

That being said, the next time that I make my lentil soup, I will check with you to see if you would like some.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:37 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:

So, your mayor knows more than the cdc? Presumably he’s vaccinated, outside, with a member of his household. Why the mask? I ask as solely good discussion; I think it’s everyone’s right to wear or not wear a mask if it makes sense. This situation seems safe for everyone, and even cdc guidance says so.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I wasn't actually responding to you. In error, I quoted you, rather than the trolls who insist that "masks do nothing". I know that--unlike the trolls who infest this forum--you don't think that you "know more than the doctors".

That being said, the next time that I make my lentil soup, I will check with you to see if you would like some.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:51 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Masks in operating rooms are to prevent wound infection/surgical site infection first and foremost, and protection of the surgeon and operating theater staff, second (blood splatter, in other words). Same goes for dental professionals. These are obvious use cases for masks.

Day to day normal life, nature provided in the form of an immune system, and under normal circumstances, immune system should be enough. The "normal circumstances" is the tipping point we're all waiting for. But once that happens, the masks come off. Trying to relate to medical pros is comedy.
Masks to reduce spread of the coronavirus work the same way as masks used to prevent bacteria from getting into a surgical site. They capture the droplets containing the organisms.

There are real world incidents confirming that masks do work, including the one where two infected hair stylists did not infect any of 139 exposed persons in a salon where everyone wore masks.

Consider also what has happened with the incidence of flu. Because of the differences in transmission dynamics flu has been suppressed to close to zero since COVID-19 mitigation measures started.

A normal immune system is no guarantee that you will not get infected and get sick.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:56 PM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
I think wearing face masks while around large groups of people in public is important and essential to helping covid die out. You cannot logically determine or prove if masks may or may not help but I do feel it protects everyone somewhat or atleast gives me a sense of safety during this unpredictable time. I feel as though I am one of the lucky ones as I never had covid before and would like to continue to remain safe. Therefore, I still social distance from strangers and wear a mask while around people. Also there are many pros to wearing masks such as hiding a no makeup face. I will always wear a mask in public because I wouldn't want to risk getting covid from a random stranger, people are not worth my time #sorrynotsorry. Also, I do believe that wearing a mask and being sanitary actually does work because I have remained safe this entire time. People have to remain cautious and considerate of others so please wear a mask and be respectful of others. I don't plan on getting sick because of some dumb people in the world who just want to go to bars, mingle, and be careless during a pandemic. Stay away from me and if you come close you better have a mask on.

Last edited by possibleyou; 05-10-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey